Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for working paramedics/control room people regarding retained fire service

Options
  • 04-12-2015 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

My question is in relation to fire service call outs. Would you be told 'off the record' to limit the amount of times you requested fire service? Had an incident where two ambulances and a squad car were doing fend off on a dual carriage way and just wondering have ambulances been refused by control to mobilize or are does it just vary?

Incredible drop in call outs to RTA's even for traffic management not to mind extrication and just curious to anyone here to could shed light on if it makes you life difficult having to call a brigade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭123kid2014

In my experience the retained brigades were only called if needed. Cutting cars etc. as apposed to full time brigades who are been paid to be in the station so they're mobilised without hesitation always.
    many calls casualties taken out without roof off. The top dogs in the retained brigade don't want to spend €500 (weekend rate ) for 1 hour for a alpha 1 to fend off .
    I don't agree with it as I think is disgraceful to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Utter madness trying to fend off with a couple of Ambulances and a squad car..

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

iceage wrote: »
    Utter madness trying to fend off with a couple of Ambulances and a squad car..

Scary. It's going to take something horrible to get it looked at you would fear. Thats why I was just wondering was it something that is being recommended to paras/guards to try it yourself first or what the story was. Risking your safety at an RTA over a bill just mindless stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

On second thoughts, maybe the Fire brigade were on route maybe? There's nothing unusual about Gardai and the Ambulance service arriving on scene first.

As for Control, if the Fire brigade are required to attend an incident they will be mobilised, Retained or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

iceage wrote: »
    On second thoughts, maybe the Fire brigade were on route maybe? There's nothing unusual about Gardai and the Ambulance service arriving on scene first.

As for Control, if the Fire brigade are required to attend an incident they will be mobilised, Retained or otherwise.

No the fire service were never mobilised to the incident I know that for sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement