Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contractor...with no contract

Options
  • 04-12-2015 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have been working remotely for a Canadian company for the last 2.5 years and I am registered as a sole trader here in Ireland. However I currently have no contract to speak of with them (I was an employee of theirs for 1 year before I had to leave Canada and this was when they offered me the contract role) I simply invoice them every month.

Due to a change in circumstances I feel I need to have some security with my job now. How do I go about getting a contract signed by both sides (e.g a rolling 6 month contract?) How do I bring this up with HR? What should I be asking for/entitled to as a contractor?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As a contractor you are entitled to pretty much nothing, except having your invoices paid within your agreed terms of trade.

I'm not even sure why you would be bringing this up with HR, it's nothing to do with them because you are not an employee.

If you were an employee, then the Canadian company would be required to operate the Irish PAYE system for you. I'm guessing they may not be keen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Having security and being self-employed are two very mutually exclusive terms

Advertisement