Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the iPhone 6/6s worth the investment?

• 04-12-2015 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

For somone that uses a smartphone for calls, IM, internet and music is it worth to move up from an iPhone 5 to 6 or 6s? I'm thinking more in terms of the cost vs the return.

Also with iPhone 7 being potentially released next year, a contract with a network seems to leave customers with a dated phone by the time it is paid.

Any views or thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

No, try Android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

NO iphone is worth the investment.

You're paying for a half eaten apple logo and that's it.

Every iphone die hard i know that went to a good android, never went back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Lads, you do realise there is an android forum that you can infest? The OP never once mentioned android in their post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Iphones are hardly an investment, they depreciate pretty rapidly.

The same question has been asked several times and my opinion is, no - it's not worth it.
    But if you have the cash and the urge to upgrade, by all means go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I'll put it this way. I've always had iPhones. When my contract is up next year I'd expect to get over €300 for my iPhone 6. I paid €220 for it on an upgrade last year.

Another case is a guy in work. He had an iPhone 5s. 2 Years old. He sold it last week fro €310.

They hold their value and basically just work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

You'd pay the same for a high end android, get what you want to get & don't be influenced either way. All depends on what you want out of it.

I have both (Android for work - High end Sony) & iPhone 6 which is mine. I find the android clumsy, but I'm not prepared to put the work into learning it properly because I like apple & all my other stuff is apple. It's all personal choice.

The waterproof aspect of the Sony is nice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It depends on what you have now. I jumped from iphone 4 to iphone 6 last year and the difference was absolutely worth the investment

Have a look at purchasing the phone outright if you can. It'll probably work out much cheaper than a standard mobile contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

traprunner wrote: »
    I'll put it this way. I've always had iPhones. When my contract is up next year I'd expect to get over €300 for my iPhone 6. I paid €220 for it on an upgrade last year.

Another case is a guy in work. He had an iPhone 5s. 2 Years old. He sold it last week fro €310.

Do most mobile operators not require you to hand back the old phone now when upgrading ?

To the OP no phone is an investment when companies introduce new models every year hence the value of your current model plumets.

Dodge wrote: »
    It depends on what you have now. I jumped from iphone 4 to iphone 6 last year and the difference was absolutely worth the investment

Have a look at purchasing the phone outright if you can. It'll probably work out much cheaper than a standard mobile contract

I started out with the original iPhone, then 3g, then 4 and 6. I find updating every 2 years worth while. Much bigger jump.

As for buying outright I agree. There are good sim only contracts for €20 or so and it works out cheaper than a bill pay.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Do most mobile operators not require you to hand back the old phone now when upgrading ?

Never heard of them doing that. Sure you pay for the phone throughout the contract. It is yours to keep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

If you're happy enough with your 5 then there's no real rush in upgrading. If you're in no particular rush I'd probably wait for the iPhone 7. If you were still on a 4S or older I would definitely consider it alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭outlooks

Now this is really good! Thanks for sharing!
    If music / sound is important you might like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

MillField wrote: »
    If you're happy enough with your 5 then there's no real rush in upgrading. If you're in no particular rush I'd probably wait for the iPhone 7. If you were still on a 4S or older I would definitely consider it alright.

I went from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6 about 8 months ago and found it a massive jump. I'd never be able to go back to a phone with a screen as small as the 5, and there was a massive jump in speed too

This is an interesting point. The iPhone 4s, 5 and 5s are really good phones which would last a good number of years. However if you hold on to them you are actually loosing money as a future upgrade would cost a lot more. (Cost of new - old one income)
    traprunner wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

If you're smart enough to sell at the right time, you can keep upgrading for only a few hundred quid each year. Buy outright once, then sell after a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I recently upgraded from a 5S to a 6S. Ok it's a bit bigger but that's it, it may be slightly faster but it's negligible and the camera doesn't seem as if it's much better than the 5S. I'm sort of sorry I didn't get a 6 and saved myself a few quid. My wife has a 6 and we've done the speed test with the two side by side opening the same apps/pages etc etc and they're near enough identical not to make s difference to anyone.

If you really want a new phone buy a 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

BDJW wrote: »
    I went from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6 about 8 months ago and found it a massive jump. I'd never be able to go back to a phone with a screen as small as the 5, and there was a massive jump in speed too

I went from a 5S to a 6S recently. My 5S screen looks microscopic now! :D

Well it seems that Apple can also make money out of Samsung. 500M fine should fund the iPhone 7 development.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/apple-wins-500-million-in-patent-lawsuit-against-samsung-2015-12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Galway K9 wrote: »
    NO iphone is worth the investment.

You're paying for a half eaten apple logo and that's it.

Every iphone die hard i know that went to a good android, never went back.

I'm not an iPhone die hard, but after 3 years on "good" android (flagship phones at the time, Galaxy S3 and HTC One M7), I went back.

Should I see a therapist?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GoodKill

The phone isn't dated as long as it's getting updates and it does what you need it to do. OK, it mightn't have the best camera around anymore, but it's good more than good enough for what I paid for it.

I have a 5s and it's fine. Mainly use the camera and video and it's pretty damn good.

I'll upgrade to the 6s next year for the bigger screen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

The bigger screen is the main difference and does make for a more enjoyable experience. However my iphone 6 crapped out on me after 6 months. And my 5s is still going strong after 18 months. This may be just a case of bad luck. But I still consider my 5s to be my little small hard workhorse!

Iopu wrote: »
    The bigger screen is the main difference and does make for a more enjoyable experience. However my iphone 6 crapped out on me after 6 months. And my 5s is still going strong after 18 months. This may be just a case of bad luck. But I still consider my 5s to be my little small hard workhorse!

Apple would sort that out no hassle. I had a battery go on my old 5 and they replaced it without quibble.

Advertisement