Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late for planting Garlic?

Options
  • 04-12-2015 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭

I know it needs cold weather. So even though its late we've had little in the way of cold weather (-its more of finding a dry day to plant!) What do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm in the same boat; just finding a window of opportunity to plant which is not booked up already or is not bucketing down outside...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just planted mine yesterday, definitely not too late!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Thanks lads - got mine in as well. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

wait4me wrote: »
    I know it needs cold weather. So even though its late we've had little in the way of cold weather (-its more of finding a dry day to plant!) What do you think?

The old saying is to plant it on the shortest day and lift on the longest day. I'd plant in Autumn just to get it in the ground but realistically you can plant in the new year too. The longer it's in the larger the bulb, provided it has enough room etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

My understanding is it needs three weeks of cold weather for the clove to split and multiply and form a bulb. Then with alliums the bulb grows from mid winter to mid summer and then the greenery from midsummer onwards. If we are to have a cold spring then Feb or even March may do, I planted in March one year but kept the garlic in the fridge before I planted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement