Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezer not cutting out

Options
  • 04-12-2015 12:33pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My chest freezer has started to run continuously. It is working ok otherwise. I know that they're not very expensive, but I hate to throw out something if it can be easily repaired. Any advice please?

Btw. I have it currently running on a timer until I decide what to do.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Check the temperature as if thermostat set too low it will never be able to there. -18/19c is required. If thermostat has gone these can be replaced.? If you turn it up a notch (warmer) see if it switches off then. If you have a decent thermometer or better remote sensor check the temperature

Low on refrigerant perhaps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

freddyuk wrote: »
    Check the temperature as if thermostat set too low it will never be able to there. -18/19c is required. If thermostat has gone these can be replaced.? If you turn it up a notch (warmer) see if it switches off then. If you have a decent thermometer or better remote sensor check the temperature

Turning the temp control, doesn't do anything. It is getting cold enough for frost to form.
    Low on refrigerant perhaps.

I defrosted it and plugged it back in. A thin layer of frost formed on the inside surface, as normal. Would this happen if low on refrigerant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Wearb wrote: »
    I defrosted it and plugged it back in. A thin layer of frost formed on the inside surface, as normal. Would this happen if low on refrigerant?

You could have a leaking seal and there is a constant flow of warm air getting in - that'll cause the freezer to run constantly to chill this air.

Is there any damage to the seal around the door, any deformations - is the seal brittle and stiff? it should be soft and flexible.

A final one - has someone tried to defrost it/remove ice using a knife and possibly punctured one of the pipes loosing the refrigerant. That one is the cause of a lot of fridges being thrown out

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I put a stat in the freezer and it took it 20 hours to get to -18C. Even then, it kept running. Cant be f'ing around with it, coming so close to Christmas, so I bought a new one. I might play around with the (now) old one sometime, to see if i can identify any obvious problems.
    Thanks for replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement