Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop ups when following links in facebook or twitter apps

• 04-12-2015 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have an iPhone 6, running iOS 9.1, and more and more frequently I'm getting pop ups like the below when following links from within the twitter and facebook apps. The links are to legitmate sites so don't think they are the problem

I've uninstalled and reinstalled both apps and also cleared the Safari history and Website data through the settings.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I really, really doubt thats a "legitimate site".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That isn't but source page av club probably is. Looks like advertising may be taking over the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

whiterebel wrote: »
    I really, really doubt thats a "legitimate site".

Sorry just to be clear, the links I follow are to a legitimate site, in the case of the above it is to The AV Club, but as the legitimate site loads, it redirects and you get the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

biko wrote: »

Does seem to be the same issue yeah. Though it is intermittent so the suggestion on the other thread of trying the link from the desktop version of the site isn't necessarily going to replicate the issue.

Worth pointing out I clicked ok on one of those ads once in an attempt to dismiss it, within the hour someone had tried to access my Facebook from Taiwan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

Funnily enough my wife was complaining of this same thing happening when she's looking at Digital Spy through safari on the iPad. She thought it had a virus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Faker74 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I have an iPhone 6, running iOS 9.1, and more and more frequently I'm getting pop ups like the below when following links from within the twitter and facebook apps. The links are to legitmate sites so don't think they are the problem

I've uninstalled and reinstalled both apps and also cleared the Safari history and Website data through the settings.

Any ideas?

What app is that? Facebook's webview? It's not Safari.

What app is that? Facebook's webview? It's not Safari.

Happening in both the Facebook and Twitter apps and yesterday it happened in Safari. And again I've gotten notice that my Facebook account was logged into from Taiwan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I'm getting this message too, but not through the app, just the normal fb page in safari on my ipad. Has happened on fb page (not clicking links, just loading the page) and also realestate.com.au.

I'm clearing cookies each time it happens...any ideas in how to stop it happening for good?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭martinosullivan

Did anyone get a definitive solution to this problem?
    Do not go to the link within the "s, it will probably harm your device

"http: // store . apple . com-free . tech

Congratulations Vodafone Ireland Limited users! Your Iphone device was selected

because we need more testers for the new IPhone 7 Press OK to participate and reserve an iPhone 6 for free"

at the moment I am advising a friend to take the following steps.

Clear information from your device

To clear your history and cookies from Safari in iOS 8 or later, tap Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data. In iOS 7 or earlier, tap Clear History and tap Clear Cookies and Data.

To clear other stored information from Safari, tap Settings > Safari > Advanced > Website Data > Remove All Website Data.

This information comes from https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201265
    and from https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7135503?start=0&tstart=0

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Martin.

Can anyone recommend a good content blocking app, as referred to in the first link?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I use Purify.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 routerhacked

Is your ISP vodafone by any chance?

It is.

Vodafone for my broadband, and 3 for my mobile.

It is.

Vodafone for my broadband, and 3 for my mobile.

Router was hacked its happening to me.
    Can anyone else confirm they are with vodafone?
    boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97996545#post97996545

Router was hacked its happening to me.
    Can anyone else confirm they are with vodafone?
    boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97996545#post97996545

Is there a way to confirm it is a hacking of the router?

I'm not positive it is only happening when on wifi, as I don't recall every single instance. BUT given that the screen shot I originally attached shows that I was on mobile data at that time, I don't think it is the router, or at least not JUST a router issue.

Is there a way to confirm it is a hacking of the router?

I'm not positive it is only happening when on wifi, as I don't recall every single instance. BUT given that the screen shot I originally attached shows that I was on mobile data at that time, I don't think it is the router, or at least not JUST a router issue.
    Can you go to those sites on 4g or a different network and see if it still happens clear your cookies and cache. If it only happens when your on the vodafone network its been hacked. The fact that someone got your account in Taiwan tells me something is seriously wrong.

Can you go to those sites on 4g or a different network and see if it still happens clear your cookies and cache. If it only happens when your on the vodafone network its been hacked.

Problem is, ever since it started the issue has been intermittent. So I have no guaranteed way of replicating it.

However, I have had no issues with my laptop, and my wife also has an iPhone (but a different service provider) and has not experienced these issues. So only one of the devices in our home which connects to the router has had any kind of issue.

Problem is, ever since it started the issue has been intermittent. So I have no guaranteed way of replicating it.

However, I have had no issues with my laptop, and my wife also has an iPhone (but a different service provider) and has not experienced these issues. So only one of the devices in our home which connects to the router has had any kind of issue.
    Has your internet speed gotten slower recently? They only seem to target iphones with the ads. You wouldn't notice anything if you used a desktop. Its also possible the ipad was hacked. I did noticed my ipad boot into a black screen after being redirected to one of those sites.

Has your internet speed gotten slower recently? They only seem to target iphones with the ads. You wouldn't notice anything if you used a desktop. Its also possible the ipad was hacked. I did noticed my ipad boot into a black screen after being redirected to one of those sites.

Haven't noticed any slow down on my broadband speeds. and there are 3 apple devices in the house, along with any others that might come through with various visitors who always get the wifi passwords, and to my knowledge it has only happened on my phone.

• Advertisement

Haven't noticed any slow down on my broadband speeds. and there are 3 apple devices in the house, along with any others that might come through with various visitors who always get the wifi passwords, and to my knowledge it has only happened on my phone.
    Used 4g for the next day and see what happens

I'm getting the same msg but it first happened when i was using 4g at work (iphone 4g paired with ipad). So i don't think its the router being hacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

So what is the solution if the router is hacked. Needless to say I'm having the same problem as the OP. Only seems to be happening on the home network (not 100% sure though) but mine is one of only 3 iphones in the house but the only one having this problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

Seeing this issue here too, but only on an old iPad 2, and only when on theguardian.co.uk website.

Issue doesn't appear on any of the four iPhones in the house.

ISP is vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I bet this is down to an ad being served by Google ads that does the popup, if you've a 64bit iOS device, install an Ad-blocker and see if that makes it go away. If yes then you have your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Also seeing this issue on my ipad 3, no other devices in the house showing problems, and I'm also with Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Not just happening with Vodafone it seems

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057532187/1/#post97967723

Check Settings > General > Profiles and delete any profiles that shouldn't be there. This sounds like DNS spoofing.

Check Settings > General > Profiles and delete any profiles that shouldn't be there. This sounds like DNS spoofing.

Is this on an ipad? I can't find anything called profiles under general in settings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

mel.b wrote: »
    Is this on an ipad? I can't find anything called profiles under general in settings

If it's not there then you don't have a profile installed. Don't worry though cos they are only needed to track your device for a particular service etc.

Advertisement