Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop ups when following links in facebook or twitter apps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

I was on Twitter and clicked a link from BusinessInsider's twitter to an article on their site and was redirected to gameofoffers.com. It brought me to a webpage saying Android was not updated and gave steps to install an app (Obviously a dodgy one) Had a pop up as well, when I tried to go back and couldn't exit the app. This all happened in the native in-app web browsing.

I thought Id check out the same page on the Chrome app and same thing happened only I was brought to apple.com-news.press saying I won an iPhone 6s. Then when I hit back pop ups came on. I tried again and the same thing happened only I was brought to antivirus.com-alert.xyz . I think Chrome stopped it and I was brought to a page saying "Deceptive Site ahead. Attackers on antivirus.com-alert.xyz may trick you into doing something dangerous like like installing software or revealing your personal information." There was also a box that I could tick saying "Automatically report details of possible security incidents to Google. Privacy policy" and a button saying "Back To Safety"

I had to close down/exit the apps through the screen where it shows what apps are open. Im on Three and was on my mobile.

Anyone else brought to the same sites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Happened to me whilst on eBay.ie iPad

Happened to me whilst on eBay.ie iPad

What site were you brought to? Was it to win an iPhone 6s or 7?

Are you on Wifi or 3g/4g? What network if its the latter?

What site were you brought to? Was it to win an iPhone 6s or 7?

Are you on Wifi or 3g/4g? What network if its the latter?

WiFi and apple free something like that. Happened whilst searching eBay despite having pop ups blocked. Reset the iPad (happening anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

Have had it happen to me on both wifi (vodafone as the ISP), and on mobile (three).

Using an iPhone 6 running iOS 9.1 and subsequently iOS 9.2.

Won't be able to investigate further as the phone feel into a sink of water last night, and now I have a whole other set of issues!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭martinosullivan

Is your ISP vodafone by any chance?

All the people I know who have this issue are using Vodafone for mobile.

Is it possible that this is an attack on the Vodafone network?

I asked the people who I know with the issue to take the following steps.

Disable their mobile data, and connect via Wi-Fi to see if the message on their phone displays, or if it changes.

Change the SIM card in their phone, to another network. Then see if the message on the spam changes, or stops displaying.

So far I have not heard back.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭martinosullivan

Faker74 wrote: »
    Have had it happen to me on both wifi (vodafone as the ISP), and on mobile (three).

Using an iPhone 6 running iOS 9.1 and subsequently iOS 9.2.

Won't be able to investigate further as the phone feel into a sink of water last night, and now I have a whole other set of issues!:(

Well that will get rid of any spam message. Also won’t make it possible for me to suggest an experiment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Another data point - guy at work sees it at home and work wifi - both Vodafone fixed line.

All the people I know who have this issue are using Vodafone for mobile.

Is it possible that this is an attack on the Vodafone network?

I asked the people who I know with the issue to take the following steps.

Disable their mobile data, and connect via Wi-Fi to see if the message on their phone displays, or if it changes.

Change the SIM card in their phone, to another network. Then see if the message on the spam changes, or stops displaying.

So far I have not heard back.

Happens on Three as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I've seen it on Macworld and I've just moved to VF.

It's definitely in the adds. If you turn JavaScript off it's not an issue. But where's the injection happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I've seen this happen on a few different mobile devices in the last few weeks, mixture of apple and Android and differing browsers. Triggers a lot when on the avclub website so it leads me to believe that the ad network they use is having issues.

So the last few days I've been trialling adguard on my Xperia phone and I've had no issues. Also enjoying the general increase in screen real estate without banner ads. Adguard is free for Web browsing but a subscription will also block ads in apps. It is possibly slightly impacting battery life and performance as it runs a local VPN in order to filter Web traffic but I would say it offsets the battery loss through displaying video ads and the like. Www.adguard.com for anyone interested.

I've seen it on Macworld and I've just moved to VF.

It's definitely in the adds. If you turn JavaScript off it's not an issue. But where's the injection happening?

Can you link the article? I can't find it

Happened on twitter links to legit sites and some sites on Chrome for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

For the people experiencing this: have you tried installing an ad blocker?

Can you link the article? I can't find it

Happened on twitter links to legit sites and some sites on Chrome for me.

No. I see it happen when I go to MW. And salon. And business insider.

Utter madness. Strange this hasn't become a bigger issue. You can't read the article.

For the people experiencing this: have you tried installing an ad blocker?

I actually don't want to deprive well behaving sites (like this one) of revenue. But sometimes I turn off JS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I actually don't want to deprive well behaving sites (like this one) of revenue. But sometimes I turn off JS.

Most adblockers offer whitelisting, so whitelist boards.

No. I see it happen when I go to MW. And salon. And business insider.

Utter madness. Strange this hasn't become a bigger issue. You can't read the article.

Oops. Thought you meant you saw an article on Macworld :pac:

I wonder is it just in Ireland....

Oops. Thought you meant you saw an article on Macworld :pac:

I wonder is it just in Ireland....

Probably or it would be a bigger world wide issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

I'm setting the exact same thing on a Galaxy S5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Anyone try messing around with their Google Ads settings and see if switching their interests fixes the problems?

https://www.google.com/settings/ads

• Advertisement

Anyone try messing around with their Google Ads settings and see if switching their interests fixes the problems?

https://www.google.com/settings/ads

Is it google ads? I think it's those stupid ads at the bottom (you won't believe what happened next?). One of those is badly behaved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Not sure, but no harm ruling out google ads, it's been known to misbehave sometimes. that being said it's usually caught quicker in google ads than the taboola ****e that people use.

If you follow this to the end (say yes and wait for the redirects) it eventually goes to a page with a question. Sometimes you get a spinner you "win" a prize with but you need to answer the question Answering this question will cost you 7:50£ and you will be charged periodically for receiving an SMS message – presumably there is some competition with some validity.

Anyway wrote to the company (with a request to stop plaguing my phone but not mentioning my phone type). They said.
    Dear User,

Sincere apologies for the inconvenience. In this situation we recommend to:

1. Close pop-up
    2. Close associated window
    3. Clear Cache
    4. Restart Phone/Ipad
    5. If the problem persists, investigate how to remove malware from your
    respective handset 6. If all fails, contact your phone supplier or
    manufacturer

None of that will help of course. How do they know I have a 6?

Next going to write where I can to afflicted sites, comreg and its British equivalent.

Makes sense this happens when I moved to VF as my previous ISP wasn't a carrier.

If you follow this to the end (say yes and wait for the redirects) it eventually goes to a page with a question. Sometimes you get a spinner you "win" a prize with but you need to answer the question Answering this question will cost you 7:50£ and you will be charged periodically for receiving an SMS message – presumably there is some competition with some validity.

Anyway wrote to the company (with a request to stop plaguing my phone but not mentioning my phone type). They said.

None of that will help of course. How do they know I have a 6?

Next going to write where I can to afflicted sites, comreg and its British equivalent.

Makes sense this happens when I moved to VF as my previous ISP wasn't a carrier.

Sites know what device you have. If I go into Facebook settings I can see I am using a Macbook, my browser and location (Or something like that, its been a while). The Adobe site knows what device you have too.

Sites know what device you have. If I go into Facebook settings I can see I am using a Macbook, my browser and location (Or something like that, its been a while). The Adobe site knows what device you have too.

The response was from an email.

Dear User,

Sincere apologies for the inconvenience. In this situation we recommend to:

1. Close pop-up
    2. Close associated window
    3. Clear Cache
    4. Restart Phone/Ipad
    5. If the problem persists, investigate how to remove malware from your
    respective handset

6. If all fails, contact your phone supplier or
    manufacturer

He/she didn't press the return key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Sparko

This is affecting all android devices connected to my wifi at home, using Vodafone home broadband. Digital spy forums unusable as every page redirects immediately to a vibrating ad congratulating me about winning an iphone or that my phone is infected and needs a scan. Switching to mobile data using meteor and the problem disappears. It's incredibly annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Same thing happening here on my Nexus 5 , thought it was a rogue app as i had sideloaded an app recently so i did a factory reset, the issue is still there. So i came across this thread, never thought of the router so i switched wifi off and the problem disappears. Im of course on Vodafone home broadband too. Has anyone had any luck with modem settings? or is there a thread in the vodafone talk to forum that we could all voice our concerns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Contacted VF , if anyone has any input fire it in there.
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057539101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

We have 2x iPhone 4, an iPhone 6s Plus, iPad 3 and iPad Air 2 in the house.... All devices except possibly one of the 4's (son isn't sure) are showing the same problems.
    We are on Vodafone wifi and Meteor cellular for what it's worth.

Advertisement