Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WETEK Play/OPENELEC user discussion, tips n' tricks

• 04-12-2015 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭

Just starting this tread as there are quite a few of us expecting delivery over the next few days. It'll be interesting to see how users find this box. Please post any tips / feedback you feel will be beneficial.

Allyall, perhaps you can post how you un-bricked yours for future users who will no doubt follow in that path while they delve into the darkness ;)

Comments

This is how I recovered mine after I soft bricked it :o

2 minute job http://tutorials.wetek.com/tutorial/11

Same process can be used to flash android to nand , files you need for that are here https://wetek.com/downloads it's the 1.1.5 one

I haven't had a lot of time to mess around with either os but I have a multitude of issues I need to go back and look at. One thing if you are considering flashing android is the need for a mouse, the remote is not optimised for it , I found my self stuck trying to do something and had to plug in a mouse to continue within a menu.

I'll be back later with my issues :pac:

Edit: Oh if you press the mouse button on the remote it behaves like a wii controller , you can move the pointer around the screen :eek: :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Anyone running android and have a plex app installed?

Doesn't work at all, sees the library but when i try to play anything all i get is the spinney circle. It's a paid version off the app I'm using. Works on all other devices :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

just turned mine on

just set it up using ww.tvaddons.ag/fusion-installer-kodi/ to have it the same as my phone and see how it works... works lovely

will be interested to see what others do with it

Just plugged mine in for first time late last night. Not a good idea. This baby needs some work.

First off....a poxy boot loop. If anyone else sees this, do not panic. 5 screws on the base, remove them and pop off the top case tilted up from the rear of the unit, taking care as the wifi cable is connected to bot top and bottom case.

Once opened, you will see a full size SIM card holder containing a security SIM. mine was held in place with sellotape. Remove this and then push card to eject and then reinsert. That's it. Unit will now boot directly to a kodi.

Will have a go at SAT configure today. If you are going down the TVheadend route, you'll need a laptop to FTP the box during the process. There's a few hoops that need to be jumped thru. Plenty of support threads on the WETEK forum.
    Off to work now. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Mine came with VDR preinstalled, but I removed it and set up tvheadend because I couldn't get VDR to work with other devices.
    Tvheadend is now streaming successfully to KODI on raspberry pi and Amazon firetv stick.
    It's also feeding well to an ipad 2 (SD channels only - HD has no video) and a few phones.
    Nexus 7 2013 had difficulty playing the streams in KODI, but no problems with tvhclient.
    I added a USB DVB-T tuner for saorview channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

niallb wrote: »
    Mine came with VDR preinstalled, but I removed it and set up tvheadend because I couldn't get VDR to work with other devices.
    Tvheadend is now streaming successfully to KODI on raspberry pi and Amazon firetv stick.
    It's also feeding well to an ipad 2 (SD channels only - HD has no video) and a few phones.
    Nexus 7 2013 had difficulty playing the streams in KODI, but no problems with tvhclient.
    I added a USB DVB-T tuner for saorview channels.
    Just a quick one... If I have tvHeadend on the WeTek in the living room, can I view the channels coming in on a FireTV stick in the bedroom?

Just a quick one... If I have tvHeadend on the WeTek in the living room, can I view the channels coming in on a FireTV stick in the bedroom?

That's exactly what I'm doing.
    You'll need adb enabled on the firetv stick so that you can sideload either KODI with the tvheadend plugin, or else tvhguide. Configure the plugin with the IP address of your wetek play instead of the local 127.0.0.1

I found KODI crashed without warning once for me on Sunday,
    but it hasn't been happening regularly.
    Try and have the wetek wired if at all possible.

Has anyone had any luck with either Plex within android or PleXbmc in Kodi ?

The app it self works in android , just doesn't play anything sits there with a buffer circle spinning and no error returned (it's a paid licensed app, not side loaded etc) removed it changed account and installed the standard one which should play 1 minute of video without paying for it and same thing , within Kodi I can see my server by adding it in UpnP sources, but once I went the plexbmc route " get unable to find plex server errors, wasn't able to find the logs to get any more detail. I'll have another look later. had the 2 add-ones and amber skin applied and necessary options checked before the skin was set to plex mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

No picture at all from my box when I plugged it in!

After initial panic, turns out it was a faulty HDMI cable. The unit shipped with a HDMI cable which I thought was a nice touch, but seems to be very low quality.

Cable swapped, OpenElec config screen appears and now the fun begins...

• Advertisement

No picture at all from my box when I plugged it in!

After initial panic, turns out it was a faulty HDMI cable. The unit shipped with a HDMI cable which I thought was a nice touch, but seems to be very low quality.

Cable swapped, OpenElec config screen appears and now the fun begins...

I spent an hour on openelec configuring stuff including TVheadend and then got the urge to undo it all and flash Wetek Android 1.1.6 to NAND. Looks good with SAT TV a sinch to setup. I'm gonna flash a MSD card to boot openelec on power-up. Just for the craic!

Just FYI, if you are going down the WETEK Android flash & Wetek Theatre for TV, you will need to disable subtitles for the FTA channels in settings as they are on by default.

Mine is the DVB-T version, for use with Saorview.

Successfully running with TVheadend, issue encountered as previous poster already said, was that VDR was enabled by default, so once I disabled that, configuration was straightforward. Also updated to latest version to OpenElec before configuring.

Soarview works fine on HD and SD channels. 7-Day EPG populated in a few minutes. Recording also no issues.

initial impressions are good - box is well up to the job - someone had mentioned this may be a little slower than the Pi2 but that is not the case. It runs fast, even when playing 1080p live TV. Running thru the menu with the video playing in the background was smooth, unlike the Pi2, which can stutter under load like this. Remote feels good, but out of the box, some of the function keys are unmapped, so that's another chore for later.

Did not test wireless yet, or try to add external storage for recordings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Anybody have any problems with Live TV?

Every now and then when watching Live TV via TVheadend, the screen will go black. I can still see the menus etc and hear the sound but the video is black.

If I change the channel it will work ok for a few minutes then go black again, a restart fixes the issue for a few hours or days.

marathont wrote: »
    Anybody have any problems with Live TV?

Every now and then when watching Live TV via TVheadend, the screen will go black. I can still see the menus etc and hear the sound but the video is black.

If I change the channel it will work ok for a few minutes then go black again, a restart fixes the issue for a few hours or days.

Not seen that exactly, but was seeing the screen jump into a different resolution on playback - setting "Sync playback to display" in Settings/Video/Playback seems to have fixed it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I've been trying for the past while to get tvheadend working, can't for the life of me Gert it to find any channel. Anything I may be doing slightly wrong?

RossieMan wrote: »
    I've been trying for the past while to get tvheadend working, can't for the life of me Gert it to find any channel. Anything I may be doing slightly wrong?

Are you able to connect to the service using http://<IP address>:9981 (from a PC ) ?

Yep no issues there. It's when I add astra, no channels are found.

I only spent a short while at it, so I may have to try again tomorrow after work.

Make sure you enable the card in the configuration, and add the Astra network to the tuner you have connected. There are a few steps before it'll work!

Yep have all that done, properly i think. Have done it before and never had a problem. Must be something small I'm missing this time.

Have you both tuner cables connected?
    I only had one and I needed to swap it over before the channels came up.
    I'm now connected to the one nearest the USB ports on the wetek.

I've got the first listed dvb adapter enabled, and the second one DISABLED.
    My freesat network containing the astra muxes is selected under satconfig "Universal LNB Only".

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help. I'll have a look when I get home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

When you have the network and adapter setup you can go into the status tab and click on the adapter and it should show you signal strength. That's how I discovered I had the wrong tuner connected.

When you have the network and adapter setup you can go into the status tab and click on the adapter and it should show you signal strength. That's how I discovered I had the wrong tuner connected.
    That's a handy tab alright.
    I found while I was setting it up that the signal strength only showed up when it had actually started scanning, so don't give up if there's no reading there at first.

niallb wrote: »
    That's a handy tab alright.
    I found while I was setting it up that the signal strength only showed up when it had actually started scanning, so don't give up if there's no reading there at first.
    Yep, same thing here when I was setting up TVheadend. No activity until scan initiates and it takes a good while compared to the option below.

Thanks for all the help. I'll have a look when I get home!

Yeah, I'm connected via the inner F connector too, for FTA with Wetek Android & Wetek Theatre. If its just FTA with a hassle free setup anyone prefers, it's a breeze.

dodzy wrote: »
    ... If its just FTA with a hassle free setup anyone prefers, it's a breeze...
    Absolutely, but if you want to be able to use the tuners on other devices attached to your network, setting up tvheadend is worth the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Don't suppose anyone who got the recent wetek deal (dvb-s version) has decided to sell? If so please pm me, I'll pay the price you paid for it.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Finally got tvheadend sorted yesterday, cheers to the lads who helped me out. It was that my tuners weren't fully connected to the box, simply screwed them in a little more and its working perfectly. Threw the black box build on for.now, may play with engima at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Finally got tvheadend sorted yesterday, cheers to the lads who helped me out. It was that my tuners weren't fully connected to the box, simply screwed them in a little more and its working perfectly. Threw the black box build on for.now, may play with engima at the weekend.

fair play
    im using enigma2 on sd card here,
    not tried the openelec side in ages,
    any tips on setting up tvheadend

GY A1 wrote: »
    fair play
    im using enigma2 on sd card here,
    not tried the openelec side in ages,
    any tips on setting up tvheadend

Whats the story with Enigma? Is it faster, or offer more functionality than Openelec? The stock Openelec is working fine but hate to think I'm missing something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

WeTek -S2 I would be interested in purchasing if someone wants to sell at what you paid for it or swap for Factory refurbished. Cutting-Edge BILLION - BIPAC 7800N - MODEM ROUTER, DUAL WAN, GIGABIT -252 quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Just noticed this now, thanks Dodzy for pointing at it.

Anyone using Xperience1080?

I haven't taken mine out of the Parcel Motel bags yet and was wondering if anyone is, how's it handling it.

Allyall wrote: »
    Just noticed this now, thanks Dodzy for pointing at it.

Anyone using Xperience1080?

I haven't taken mine out of the Parcel Motel bags yet and was wondering if anyone is, how's it handling it.

not my usual skin, but tried it out just now and it runs fine, no delays, nice and smooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

I tried out a few skins last night,

Amber works well but the live TV was awful so cant use it.
    Bello looked good but kept hanging
    Aeon MQ 6 - too heavy
    Aeon Nox a bit laggy moving through menus
    Mimic worked well
    Xperience1080 worked well

I tried out a few skins last night,

Amber works well but the live TV was awful so cant use it.
    Bello looked good but kept hanging
    Aeon MQ 6 - too heavy
    Aeon Nox a bit laggy moving through menus
    Mimic worked well
    Xperience1080 worked well

Are you running OpenElec 6.0.0? Cos I'm not seeing any problems with these skins. MQ6 is perhaps the only one which struggles slightly when running HD live TV, but even then its not too bad. Bello is running ok as well.

Filmon is having problems for the last few days, and as a result, any addons that use Filmon will have the same problems.
    Is that what you had problems with?
    They come and go, so you may have had that skin on while it was acting up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

I'm using the latest Openelec I have tvheadend set up with the DVB-T tuner for SaorView and have all the channels but the Aspect ratio is stuck on 4:3 I can't see anywhere to change this??

Second issue using VU+ PVR plugin when streaming from my Ailen2 box on a wired network the picture keeps going black after a few seconds audio remains.

Any ideas guys?

IPTV Stalker are going to release a list soon. It will show up the resellers that were reselling Subs w/MAC addresses more than once.
    i.e. - If you bought an IPTV-Stalker sub and never received a donation number, it's likely you were sold a fake sub, or that your MAC address was cloned elsewhere.
    Any resellers that don't give people their donation number are more than likely doing something underhanded.
    So far the people who are announcing that they will not be issuing donation numbers to the people who purchased from them, are exactly the same people that you should expect, and associated with the same people you should avoid.

Ideally it should weed out the dirt, but more than likely they'll continue as they have done, as long as people use their addons and listen to their cr*p.

If you have paid a for a sub. Make sure\Demand you get your donation number.

I'm using the latest Openelec I have tvheadend set up with the DVB-T tuner for SaorView and have all the channels but the Aspect ratio is stuck on 4:3 I can't see anywhere to change

Not at home now but as far as I remember, start to play something and hit ok to enter the on-screen menu. Scroll overy to the video settings icon and you'll find an option there to set the aspect ratio. Then in that same menu scroll down and set it to be the default for all videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Just tried this out and when I start it up and it goes through the configuration screens when it gets the the network part it doesn't list any WiFi networks in the box, is there something wrong? I went on through the menus thinking I could configure the WiFi later, but couldn't find any setting for that..

_dof_ wrote: »
    Just tried this out and when I start it up and it goes through the configuration screens when it gets the the network part it doesn't list any WiFi networks in the box, is there something wrong? I went on through the menus thinking I could configure the WiFi later, but couldn't find any setting for that..

System -Openelec - network - connections

And make sure you enable the WiFi interface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 decelec

Hi all .switched mine on today for the second time only .
    And the screen locked up completely ,removed power and now when it starts i have no menus on the blue
    screen .Have i a brick now ? Or do i TRY.... what ENFILADE did on Page 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

I have been looking at the wetek site and it seems the play is supposed to come with a quckstart guide, a membership card and an update nail, but I didn't get any of those, did anyone get those?

also there was some mention of a weCloud Antenna app. Is that preloaded? Is it just a plugin for Kodi?

The website seems to suggest android is preloaded, but it's openElec instead of Android that's on my box from waht I can figure out.

I wanted to try the satellite tuner, and from what I can make out I need to have tvheadend, is that preinstalled?

sorry if these are stupid questions, first time I had a box like this.

decelec wrote: »
    And the screen locked up completely ,removed power and now when it starts i have no menus on the blue

You mean it actually boots into Kodi just the menu bar across the screen isn't there?

It's unlikely it's bricked if you didn't do anything other than power it on.
    Try resetting it.
    Ignore the first part of this video and just follow it from where it starts.

Flip box over, insert key to push button, attach power.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=USTCmnM-7KE#t=26

As soon as you see the wetek logo, remove the key and follow the instructions.
    You won't see any upgrade or installation as you are just resetting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

I have been looking at the wetek site and it seems the play is supposed to come with a quckstart guide, a membership card and an update nail, but I didn't get any of those, did anyone get those?

These are only available when you buy from Wetek , we bought from the openelec site was a cheaper buy without those extras
    also there was some mention of a weCloud Antenna app. Is that preloaded? Is it just a plugin for Kodi?
    you can load Wecloud from the openelec repo, think this is only if you have the membership card though ?
    The website seems to suggest android is preloaded, but it's openElec instead of Android that's on my box from waht I can figure out.
    Indeed openelec comes preloded but you can download the android image to sd card and run that
    I wanted to try the satellite tuner, and from what I can make out I need to have tvheadend, is that preinstalled?
    Tvheadend needs to be installed from the repo , both front and backend
    sorry if these are stupid questions, first time I had a box like this.
    None of us are hope that helped

Thanks Allyall

Tried that, mine gives me options

Reboot system now (i tried this one and no improvement)
    Apply update from ADB
    apply update from EXT
    apply update from Cache
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition
    set efuse item

Hiya.
    Tvheadend is not preinstalled, but vdr is, and it will let you watch satellite channels once configured.

Those of us who've used openelec for a while are probably more used to tvheadend, and I at least was unable to get xvdr working on other devices in the house even though I could watch TV on the wetek box itself.

If you want to install tvheadend, you have to remove vdr first, or it won't be able to access the tuners properly.

If you want to try VDR, you might need to add the XVDR PVR client when you enable Live TV - I'm not sure if it was preinstalled, though I think it was.

To add channels to VDR, you first need to go to System, Settings and into TV.
    Enable 'Live TV'.
    I ended up going to the "Client Specific" menu, and opening a menu there for XVDR which allowed me to force a scan, but I think if I'd just left it for half an hour, it might have sorted it out itself!

Personally, I'm glad I switched over to tvheadend instead.
    I just gave vdr a quick go in case there was a good reason they'd picked it for default.

Thanks Allyall

Tried that, mine gives me options

Reboot system now (i tried this one and no improvement)
    Apply update from ADB
    apply update from EXT
    apply update from Cache
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition
    set efuse item

Sorry, just seeing this now.

Wipe data\factory reset

Then

Reboot system now.

http://wetekforums.com/vb5/forum/wetek-play/q-a-help-troubleshooting/12276-what-are-the-differences-between-the-regular-wetek-and-the-openelec-edition-wetek/page2

The Wecloud Antenna isn't great. Unless you add yor own channels, and you can do that anyway.

I didn't give it more than 5 minutes, but all of the channels seemed Russian and Turkish.

That worked
    Thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement