Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WETEK Play/OPENELEC user discussion, tips n' tricks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

i wouldn't agree entirely, i've had more trouble in a month with kodi on openelec than over a year on an mx3. down to tvheadend & kodi not being able to handle it properly, live tv is certainly not flawless. though if you're only after kodi then, yeah openelec is a better choice.

android is built on a linux kernel too, wouldn't say it's a bad OS at all.
    the trouble comes with others, OEMs, network carriers, etc. layering on top of it - they're responsible for the majority security issues on android also.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Wynnie12

Anybody know the frequencies for Rte 1 & 2 on the sky dish? Scanned all channels but for some reason Rte did not show up

Wynnie12 wrote: »
    Anybody know the frequencies for Rte 1 & 2 on the sky dish? Scanned all channels but for some reason Rte did not show up

You won't get rte unless you're including paid channels in the scan.

No issues here - running RTE Player HQ on OpenElec. Maybe its because you are running on Android. If you just want a box that will run Kodi and liveTV flawlessly, when OpenElec is the way to go. OpenElec is basically a light Linux distribution & Linux has been around for decades and is a mature and stable OS, but running Kodi on top of Android is just not going to be as stable and perform as well.

The only Kodi devices I will use are OpenElec (Raspberry Pi2 or Wetek) and Windows). Android is just about acceptable for a mobile OS and even then its pretty crap as an OS goes!

Only real problem with your theory is that Android is the best mobile OS available and RTE player runs flawlessly on any other Android based device I have used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

No issues here - running RTE Player HQ on OpenElec. Maybe its because you are running on Android. If you just want a box that will run Kodi and liveTV flawlessly, when OpenElec is the way to go. OpenElec is basically a light Linux distribution & Linux has been around for decades and is a mature and stable OS, but running Kodi on top of Android is just not going to be as stable and perform as well.

The only Kodi devices I will use are OpenElec (Raspberry Pi2 or Wetek) and Windows). Android is just about acceptable for a mobile OS and even then its pretty crap as an OS goes!

Thanks for that Captain Boycott.

You have RTE player running on OpenElec at the moment? I thought that only worked on one particular addon and then stopped working a while back when RTE changed rteplayer layout?

Have I missed something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Trevord wrote: »
    Thanks for that Captain Boycott.

You have RTE player running on OpenElec at the moment? I thought that only worked on one particular addon and then stopped working a while back when RTE changed rteplayer layout?

Have I missed something?

There is another version - RTE Player HQ. Do a search elsewhere on boards for info

The_Shotz wrote: »
    Am I right in saying there is not way of getting free to air via cable, you must have a satellite?

I picked up the box with the cable connection as I have no dish, I currently have upc, is there anyway I can get my upc channels through the box.

It is no big deal if I can not as I got the box mainly for kodi and Android.

No FTA via cable with this box (not in Ireland anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Running openelec here myself and struggling to install the black box build in Kodi.

I had it installed and working prefect already but updated the box to openelec 6 and it wont install now.

I can install the zip file but when I go to addons and try to install it I get an error...

Not sure if its an issue with openelec or the black box itself...

DUPLICATE...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi All,

Sorry for the dupe if it's here.

Micro SD card recommendations? I'm guessing class 10 but what size? Would be storing recordings over SMB hopefully so it's just to run the OS.

// Gary

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Micro SD card recommendations? I'm guessing class 10 but what size? Would be storing recordings over SMB hopefully so it's just to run the OS.

// Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi All,

// Gary

for android, openelec, enigma2 ?

using a 8gb class 10 for enigma2 and openelec here,
    but some say they've gotten away with 2/4gb,
    8gb micro is nearly the smallest selling now anyway lol

GY A1 wrote: »
    for android, openelec, enigma2 ?

using a 8gb class 10 for enigma2 and openelec here,
    but some say they've gotten away with 2/4gb,
    8gb micro is nearly the smallest selling now anyway lol

Sorry that would help all right Openelec, Tvheadend, Oscam

Reckon I'll go the 8GB so.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

I'm not going to use one of my boxes and would sell it at cost to a fellow boardie. It's the dvb-c/t version, pm for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Running openelec here myself and struggling to install the black box build in Kodi.

I had it installed and working prefect already but updated the box to openelec 6 and it wont install now.

I can install the zip file but when I go to addons and try to install it I get an error...

Not sure if its an issue with openelec or the black box itself...

I had the same problem and in the end my openelec got corrupted. I had to manually install openelec to sort it out, after this I still wasnt able to solve the black box issue.

From reading openelec forums it may be because a lot of the add-ons in the black box are blacklisted by openelec.

Which brings me to my next question, it maybe a stupid question.

A lot of the main addons which I am after are not recommended to install on openelec they only recommend you install official openelec add ons.

Will installing the unofficial add ons effect kodi on openelec, I am currently using kodi on Android but I would much rather use openelec as it seems to run smoother.

I do not want to name the addons as it may not be allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

The_Shotz wrote: »
    I had the same problem and in the end my openelec got corrupted. I had to manually install openelec to sort it out, after this I still wasnt able to solve the black box issue.

From reading openelec forums it may be because a lot of the add-ons in the black box are blacklisted by openelec.

Which brings me to my next question, it maybe a stupid question.

A lot of the main addons which I am after are not recommended to install on openelec they only recommend you install official openelec add ons.

Will installing the unofficial add ons effect kodi on openelec, I am currently using kodi on Android but I would much rather use openelec as it seems to run smoother.

I do not want to name the addons as it may not be allowed.

Black Box is being replaced by a build that just went live late last night. Servers overloaded at the moment.

jakdublin wrote: »
    Black Box is being replaced by a build that just went live late last night. Servers overloaded at the moment.

You mean a new "build version" of black box is being rolled out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Am I right in thinking you can run a VM cable through the cable Wetek and use Oscam? A simple yes or no would do rather than discussion.

I think the chap that updates it is bowing out and handing over to someone new. Think its called Paradox going forward.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi All,

// Gary

Not much difference in prices between 8gb and 16gb these days.

I'd look at San Disk Extreme or Samsung Evo+ as cards with good read/write speeds.

San Disk Ultra and Samsung Evo are the next level down from that and would be a couple of euro cheaper.

Beware of fakes. Better to buy off recognised seller like mymemory or memorybits than off ebay.

Also take care not to remove/insert card when box is already powered on. Have fried a few in raspberry pi by not following that advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Batesy wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking you can run a VM cable through the cable Wetek and use Oscam? A simple yes or no would do rather than discussion.
    No.

dodzy wrote: »
    No.

Cheers, so the cable tuners are pretty pointless without a saorview antenna then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Cheers, so the cable tuners are pretty pointless without a saorview antenna then.

Now you have it!

eamonnq wrote: »
    Now you have it!

:mad:

:mad:

What did you think you could do with it ? :confused:

eamonnq wrote: »
    What did you think you could do with it ? :confused:

The same as you could with the satelite tuners and oscam.

The same as you could with the satelite tuners and oscam.

Ah right, not in this land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Yes if presumably its the same type of DVB-C tuner thats in all other DVB-C boxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

I flashed Android on my Wetek Play but now everytime I reboot the time/date resets to 1/1/1970 00:00. This stops some applications from running (playstore etc etc)

Checking the automatic date/time from network tickbox does not do anything. Any ideas?

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

• Advertisement

stooge wrote: »
    I flashed Android on my Wetek Play but now everytime I reboot the time/date resets to 1/1/1970 00:00. This stops some applications from running (playstore etc etc)

Checking the automatic date/time from network tickbox does not do anything. Any ideas?

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Yes I noticed that also.

Uncheck the automatic date/time in android settings so that you have the option to input correct date and time manually.

yes, for now thats what I'm doing. But its hardly user friendly that it resets every time the box is rebooted!

My question was whether there is some way of making sure the date/time is set when rebooted? thanks

stooge wrote: »
    yes, for now thats what I'm doing. But its hardly user friendly that it resets every time the box is rebooted!

My question was whether there is some way of making sure the date/time is set when rebooted? thanks

Date on mine seems to be staying correct (no reset).

Anyone else out there have this time and date issue? Think I am using the newer Android version. (1.1.6)

Also wondering if this is resolved with sat cables attached - as correct time can also be taken from satellite rather than wireless network.

Trevord wrote: »

Also wondering if this is resolved with sat cables attached - as correct time can also be taken from satellite rather than wireless network.

That's a helluva shout! Connected a sat cable and clicked the box for automatic date/time and it popped up right away. Interesting and also a pity since I had planned to use this initially without a sat cable plugged in. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BluesWeeper

Just seen this on the wetek forum ...:cool:

"... we are happy to announce that from today OpenPLi Foundation started with official support of WeTek Play. This practicaly means that from today You can install official OpenPLi Enigma 2 Image on your WeTek Play"

https://wetek.com/blog/view/49/official-openpli-support-for-wetek-play

It just gets better and better ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Just seen this on the wetek forum ...:cool:

"... we are happy to announce that from today OpenPLi Foundation started with official support of WeTek Play. This practicaly means that from today You can install official OpenPLi Enigma 2 Image on your WeTek Play"

https://wetek.com/blog/view/49/official-openpli-support-for-wetek-play

It just gets better and better ..

Deadly.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement

Good stuff man...

How does openpli compare to openatv?

I have openatv set up nicely now so a bit reluctant to delete it unless I just get another sd card and have two images..

Loading it as I post :D Running openpli on my dmbx for a while now and its got some great addons :cool:

Btw bought two 8GB Verbatim class 10 microsds in Soundstore today for 6.99 euro each, ..didnt have the 16Gbs ones which were 8.99 each :_(

Are you having any audio sync issues with yours with certain satellite channels?

Anyone got both a dvb-t box and a satellite one (2 boxes)?????

Messing around with TV headend still and found you can export the channel list en mass using 192.168.1.X:9981/Playlists/channels and get a m3u file u can use on VLC on PC, now work with me here.

I have a openelec dvb-t box , but I have a satellite FTA connection in one room with a standard box I may replace with one of these, now you can feed an m3u playlist to PVR Simple IPTV for online streams, what I'm thinking here is if I exported the channels to m3u from a sat version of these could I add it to the DVB-T box as an IPTV source and play the satellite channels that way in another room? I'm thinking this could actually work given I can watch TV on pc with the same m3u playlist, and stream live tv from my dvb-t box.

Are you having any audio sync issues with yours with certain satellite channels?

Haven't noticed any sync issues so far, any particular channels, image?

• Advertisement

Haven't noticed any sync issues so far, any particular channels, image?

Channels which cannot be discussed here... I'm using openatv

Channels which cannot be discussed here... I'm using openatv

I guarantee the same app/add on does the same thing in android, it's got box in the title right?

Anyone got both a dvb-t box and a satellite one (2 boxes)?????

Messing around with TV headend still and found you can export the channel list en mass using 192.168.1.X:9981/Playlists/channels and get a m3u file u can use on VLC on PC, now work with me here.

I have a openelec dvb-t box , but I have a satellite FTA connection in one room with a standard box I may replace with one of these, now you can feed an m3u playlist to PVR Simple IPTV for online streams, what I'm thinking here is if I exported the channels to m3u from a sat version of these could I add it to the DVB-T box as an IPTV source and play the satellite channels that way in another room? I'm thinking this could actually work given I can watch TV on pc with the same m3u playlist, and stream live tv from my dvb-t box.

yeah i'd think it would work but if you get a wetek sat version for the other room, there'd be no need to do that.
    you'd install the tvheadend client on the dvb-t version & configure it to look to the sat version.

i'm doing this atm with the wetek & another android box, can see recordings from the wetek also.
    downsides: wetek need to be on, & some channels seem to stutter

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yeah i'd think it would work but if you get a wetek sat version for the other room, there'd be no need to do that.
    you'd install the tvheadend client on the dvb-t version & configure it to look to the sat version.

i'm doing this atm with the wetek & another android box, can see recordings from the wetek also.

Stutter? HD ones i guess? I could live with that, would save me a new lnb and cabling, I know cheaper than a new box but not in terms of practicality and effort :)

Stutter? HD ones i guess? I could live with that, would save me a new lnb and cabling, I know cheaper than a new box but not in terms of practicality and effort :)

no seemed to random enough, i know i'd on bbc 1 hd & it was going fine but an sd channel would pause/play

they could be issues on my setup/network though, someone else might be able to tell you more about it, i don't use it that much, actually don't watch a lot of live tv at all. just didn't want to pass up the box :pac:

Tried the openpli image and its just like the DMbx one, only not as fast and that effin openelec rcu :eek:

I think there's an NAND image going about too somewhere ...so early days yet with this image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Could you explain about this, so if tvheadend is setup as a server, and I connect as a client on a second box, do i receive a channel on the second tuner of the server?

What happens when server is recording, and watching a second channel, I presume the client cant watch a third channel, what can it see if this happens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Tried the openpli image and its just like the DMbx one, only not as fast and that effin openelec rcu :eek:

I think there's an NAND image going about too somewhere ...so early days yet with this image

tried it too, think this is gonna be the winner here. just ordered enigma2 remote.

Etnies wrote: »
    Could you explain about this, so if tvheadend is setup as a server, and I connect as a client on a second box, do i receive a channel on the second tuner of the server?

What happens when server is recording, and watching a second channel, I presume the client cant watch a third channel, what can it see if this happens?

basically, tvheadend in the unofficial repo is the server. you need the client(s) to watch the channels from it

whatever client you connect (view a channel) with first, i assume is getting the first tuner - doesn't really matter

if one box is recording & watching, then then client on the second box will display the 'no free adapter' message as both tuners are being used, well mostly anyway...
    you can actually record two channels & view a third (even a 4th with the setup we're talking about, haven't tested it) with twin tuners as long as the channel is on the same transponder as one of the two being used.
    so you could actually record & watch on one box & watch a limited selection of channels on another.

here's a list of transponder frequencies http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Sky-UK.html
    the enigma images are very good for this as they show which channels you can still watch & the rest are greyed out

you can actually record two channels & view a third (even a 4th with the setup we're talking about, haven't tested it) with twin tuners as long as the channel is on the same transponder as one of the two being used.
    so you could actually record & watch on one box & watch a limited selection of channels on another.

here's a list of transponder frequencies http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Sky-UK.html
    the enigma images are very good for this as they show which channels you can still watch & the rest are greyed out

Anyone with a Humax HRD box should be familiar with this capability. With two recordings running, you can still typically watch a few other channels as a third channel.

But to maximise this capability with the Wetek you should not get gung ho about deleting regional variations of the UK channels, as they span across different transponders.

Here is a simple example, but there are plenty of others:

At present you could not get SD versions of BBC1 England, BBC2 Wales and BBC4 at same time, but you could get BBC1 England, BB2 England and BBC4 at the same time, as all three are on same transponder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement