Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WETEK Play/OPENELEC user discussion, tips n' tricks

Comments

Fascinated to know what people are watching that requires recording and viewing of 3 to 4 streams at once?

1000 channels and nothing on springs to mind :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Trevord wrote: »
    Anyone with a Humax HRD box should be familiar with this capability. With two recordings running, you can still typically watch a few other channels as a third channel.

But to maximise this capability with the Wetek you should not get gung ho about deleting regional variations of the UK channels, as they span across different transponders.

Here is a simple example, but there are plenty of others:

At present you could get SD versions of BBC1 England, BBC2 Wales and BBC4 at same time, but you could not get BBC1 England, BB2 England and BBC4 at the same time, as all three are on same transponder.

(happy to edit this is someone points out that this is not a good example )

swap the examples around, they need to be on the same transponder

the humax show up available channels like enigma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

batistuta9 wrote: »

the humax show up available channels like enigma?

With two channels recording, if you scroll up and down the channel list on the Humax it only shows the remaining channels that can be viewed. If you are on series link the Humax also picks the best regional version to record, to maximise the possibility to view other channels. Eg I typically set series links for BBC 1/2 England, but it might decide to record same programme from a different BBC region.

I have no experience of Enigma on Wetek (yet) but I guess from your description that to a degree it's doing the same thing, except you might have to do some of the thinking yourself, to pick the best region to record from, so that fewer channels are greyed out.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Fascinated to know what people are watching that requires recording and viewing of 3 to 4 streams at once?

1000 channels and nothing on springs to mind :p

Typically Match of the Day + some music documentary on BBC4 + something else.

Of course if you have Saorview TV you can also fit something else in !

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

Trying to move away from open elec and have tried the flashing of android as explained earier in this thread but it's not working..

http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/discussion/11869/tutorial-manual-android-update-from-micro-sd

That update seems to talk about editing a file, which wasn't mentioned before. any people done this lately and is there a leading favourite setup for users who bought in group buy?

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Very easy install sndroid on nand just follow the wetek tutorial posted numerous times now lol

Handy to have android on nand and put enigma2 on micro sd for satellite and also has kodi built in aswell
    bonkers wrote: »
    Trying to move away from open elec and have tried the flashing of android as explained earier in this thread but it's not working..

http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/discussion/11869/tutorial-manual-android-update-from-micro-sd

That update seems to talk about editing a file, which wasn't mentioned before. any people done this lately and is there a leading favourite setup for users who bought in group buy?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

Hi, thought I would head over here, got a wetek last week in the group buy and I'm pretty pleased with it, a few gripes but nothing majorish!
    Last week I was getting the 120 seconds to press a button and then it just wouldn't boot up so I put android on the nand but wasn't crazy on it so then I put openelec on Microsim but it seems to hang alot if I reboot the box.
    I read about the External hdd causing problems when rebooting but this evening is brutal. I even tried to boot up android and that didn't do anything either so I left it turned off for another while and tried again which worked.

When it works though it is brilliant, after lots and lots and lots of googling and youtubing, I have TVheadend set up pretty decently, bouquets done as well and series link is brilliant. Have it streaming to laptop too. I have an old usb saorview tune so if I find that I will get that going too.
    I need to figure out picons bow, I know what they are but am wondering if there is an easy way to add then me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

Hi, thought I would head over here, got a wetek last week in the group buy and I'm pretty pleased with it, a few gripes but nothing majorish!
    Last week I was getting the 120 seconds to press a button and then it just wouldn't boot up so I put android on the nand but wasn't crazy on it so then I put openelec on Microsim but it seems to hang alot if I reboot the box.
    I read about the External hdd causing problems when rebooting but this evening is brutal. I even tried to boot up android and that didn't do anything either so I left it turned off for another while and tried again which worked.

When it works though it is brilliant, after lots and lots and lots of googling and youtubing, I have TVheadend set up pretty decently, bouquets done as well and series link is brilliant. Have it streaming to laptop too. I have an old usb saorview tune so if I find that I will get that going too.
    I need to figure out picons bow, I know what they are but am wondering if there is an easy way to add then me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

loopymum wrote: »
    Last week I was getting the 120 seconds to press a button and then it just wouldn't boot up

This happened me today. I let the 120 seconds go and then it flew into repair mode with lines of text flying up the screen. I plugged it out after 15 minutes or so and it did the same again. This time I let it run its course and after a couple of hours or so it booted up as normal. Just posting in case it happens someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

bonkers wrote: »

cheers
    Post #503 in this thread. Very easy to do.

dodzy wrote: »
    Post #503 in this thread. Very easy to do.

Since you're the OP, why not update the first post with links to useful posts in this thread, or even links to guides for people? Pretty hard to find tips n tricks that are useful in all these pages.

Thinking of trying enigma/pbnigma/OPENPLI on a micro sd at the weekend.

Could somebody please clarify a few questions:

1. Are these all part of the same linux family, with some likely to be more compatible with the Wetek box than others?

2. Do they all have the same basic functionality when you boot up?

3. Based on user experiences which one do you think I should try first?

4. I understand that the Openelec remote is a problem with enigma. Can I use a Rii keyboard to control the enigma interface?

5. Where should I go to download an enigma for the wetek? I see mention of various enigma variants on this thread.

6. I'd like to run it off a micro sd card and leave the Nand as Android for now. How long will it take me to get the box up an running as a basis UK FTA box?

7. Does the procedure involve writing an enigma image to the micro SD card (like you would with openelec for the Raspberry Pi)

8. Is there a handy (pc based) way to order channels?

Thanks for your time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

loopymum wrote: »
    ... I need to figure out picons bow, I know what they are but am wondering if there is an easy way to add then me
    Took me a while to figure out Picons last weekend too. I'm using the Wetek and OpenELEC with TVHeadend as a Freesat (& hopefully Saorview when I receive a USB DVB-T tuner) box, not trying Oscam.
    Generally I'm a Windows user, but have a small bit of Linux experience - I run a small Ubuntu Linux fileserver.

Tried generating my own picons for 28.2e satellite as outlined here:
    https://github.com/picons/picons-source

All scripted but easy enough to follow once I sorted out dependencies (helper programs to be downloaded), but kept giving an error when generating the picons whichever method I chose (snp or srp). I'm getting a syntax error for the 'readlink' part of the script.

Fortunately you can download pre-generated picons using picon-source here:
    https://picons.xyz/
    Go to downloads.
    Click on 'binaries-srp-full'
    For OpenELEC, using default skin, download the following file:
    srp-full.220x132-220x132.light.on.transparent_2016-02-02--20-19-39.hardlink.tar.xz

Using 7-Zip or equivalent, extract the '.tar' file from the '.tar.xz' downloaded. Do not extract the '.tar' file itself, we will copy the '.tar' file to the Wetek.

On Windows, I find WinSCP an easy way to transfer files to the Wetek. The TAR archives can be extracted on the Wetek, this can be done using WinSCP also. If using OpenELEC make sure SSH is enabled so WinSCP will work.

Log onto the Wetek using WinSCP. Navigate to the '/storage' folder. Copy the '.tar' file from above.
    In WinSCP, select 'Open Terminal' under the 'Commands' menu. If asked about opening new session, allow this.
    Making sure you're in the '/storage' folder, type:
    tar -xvf srp-full.220x132-220x132.light.on.transparent_2016-02-02--20-19-39.hardlink.tar
    ... or whatever your picon .tar file is called.
    This will create a new folder with all the picons. Rename the folder to 'picons' so the picon folder will be '/storage/picons'.
    In TVHeadend, enter the picon folder as 'file:///storage/picons'. Not at the Wetek at the moment but think this is under the 'Configuration' tab.

Some caveats:
    When I downloaded and extracted the SNP (service name) picons (various 220 x 132px styles) many seemed to be missing, for example BBC channels.
    Switched to SRP (service reference) instead. Much better, used hardlinked download option rather than symlinked. All channel picons (I'm just using free-to-air ones) were visible, except the few Freesat HD channels (e.g. BBC One HD).

For example, looking on TVHeadend the default service reference picon for BBC One HD is:
    1_0_1_1B1D_802_2_11A0000_0_0_0.png

My TVHeadend service reference for BBC One HD is:
    1_0_19_1B1D_802_2_11A0000_0_0_0.png
    ... there's the number '9' digit added in fact to all HD channels.

Now with Freesat there's only 12 HD channels so easy enough to copy and rename. Did this and now have picons for all the Freesat channels. Looks like there are picons there for all Sky channels too.

Just wondering if this is a peculiarity of my setup or the picons generated from picons.xyz?

Also if anyone can shed any light on my 'readlink' errors that would be educational! From looking it appears files are not being copied to the temporary directory generated. Being unfamiliar with BASH scripting I left it alone, just examined the code to find dependencies.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, just there's a steep learning curve on the Wetek if you want to go beyond the basics! Even at that I've skipped a few finer details. Hope this helps someone.

Seem to have run into time problem myself here, but in openelec. Only noticed when I tried to access the epg and it was blank.

Got around it by setting my time zone to ireland in skin/international and setting an npt server in openelec/network. Seems to be sticking but looks to be a common enough issue.

EDIT: Well 2 reboots later and the time is back to 1am jan 1 1970 :(

Basil3 wrote: »
    Since you're the OP, why not update the first post with links to useful posts in this thread, or even links to guides for people? Pretty hard to find tips n tricks that are useful in all these pages.
    You're right of course Bas, I should have done it before now. I'll get on it over the next few hours :)
    EDIT: Just recalled that I can't as the OP is too old. I'll get onto Aquos for a bit of intervention and get OP edited with some links later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

This yolk is definitely a steep learning curve.
    In a previous job I used to work on uploading files and fixes to a payroll system for a multi million Euro company through Unix, Windows, WinSCP and PuTTY. That freaked me out as it could have caused someone to not get paid in the company and my head would be on the block

This Wetek is freaking me out even more!!

I am now coming to the conclusion I might use this as a back end server for TVHeadend and get some nice clients attached to each TV

Any reconsiderations on decent cheap TVHeadend clients?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

I've had enough, I'm after ordering a xtrend 8000, hopefully I'll have a smoother ride with that

just back date to a stable enigma2 image and it wont have the audio issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Whats currently the most stable enigma2 image as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

never will have a stable enigma2 image, just not enough support from dev teams, openpli is your best bet.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm still messing around with time problems, I've checked it using SSH and hwclock command, and it's wrong. So this points to both a hardware and software problem. The changes I made in openelec to timezone and npt server should correct this but it's not getting applied, and my understanding (primitive at best) is that the hwclock command reads time from bios, so issue there with it not getting set or defaulting?

I've made no changes that all before this occurred, so all I can think of is it being linked to the box being tuned off at the wall ?

Anyway for those experiencing this, connect with putty etc to 192.168.1.X port 22 user = root password=openelec and enter the following lines
    )

hwclock -r

Should give you the current time, if it is incorrect then do

ntpd -p ntp.demon.co.uk
    hwclock -w

This should also work for android too however you will have to install an ssh server on it first to be able to establish a putty connection. Or just boot to openelec form a card and do it.

I'll report back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I've had enough, I'm after ordering a xtrend 8000, hopefully I'll have a smoother ride with that

Ah don't be giving up now, you were further along than me and I am still going around in circles!!!

eamonnq wrote:
    Ah don't be giving up now, you were further along than me and I am still going around in circles!!!

To be honest I bought the box without knowing exactly what I was buying, I never really considered owning a satellite box until I bought the wetek. Then I start reading on all the different forums and realised there was a world of satellite boxes and all sorts of things you could do and the xtrend and VU+ brands caught my eye.

Not 100% sure if you can get Kodi on the openvix image which I will be using on the xtrend but if I can't I will still use wetek for kodi as it runs smoothly on openelec.

I've just downloaded the paradox build and I'm watching (well typing this message on me phone) an 1080p stream here flawlessly.

I'm sure if you stick with the wetek and get it set up correctly it will be a great satellite box as loads on here have said it is.

I have used all sorts of satellite boxes (and kodi boxes) but just like the idea of having it all in one, the Oscam thing is new to me though as I never used that before and that is my main stumbling block at the moment. The problem with this box is that there are so many options regarding different setups and settings that there is no 'dummys guide' to go from start to finish with.

I am (more) familiar with Enigma though so should probably start down that route and see how far I get.

eamonnq wrote:
    I am (more) familiar with Enigma though so should probably start down that route and see how far I get.

I didn't even try the tvheadend route, I went straight for enigma2.

Maybe tvheadend is the way to go as it runs on openelec and this box was not designed for enigma2..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I'd say tvheadend is much more difficult than enigma2.
    You're the only one who has had really bad problems with enigma2. Even then i'd say its your line or something you've not done quite right.
    The box itself runs enigma2 fine, whether it was designed for it or not.

I'd say tvheadend is much more difficult than enigma2.
    You're the only one who has had really bad problems with enigma2. Even then i'd say its your line or something you've not done quite right.
    The box itself runs enigma2 fine, whether it was designed for it or not.

RossieMan wrote:
    I'd say tvheadend is much more difficult than enigma2. You're the only one who has had really bad problems with enigma2. Even then i'd say its your line or something you've not done quite right. The box itself runs enigma2 fine, whether it was designed for it or not.

There seems to be a good few having similar issues on the wetek forum but I'm not doubting it's a good box, could of been something simple on my end

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BluesWeeper

Couldn't get cross EPG to install in openpli at all. Oscam either. So gave up on it for now as need these too really.

• Advertisement

Does this go straight onto SD card as it is or do you have to use DiskImager to do it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

eamonnq wrote: »
    Does this go straight onto SD card as it is or do you have to use DiskImager to do it ?

DiskImager m8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

Diskimager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

I ordered a DVB-C / DVB-T Wetek box in the group buy

Is this the correct connection for dvb-t / dvb-c? (See image attached)

http://s15.postimg.org/8nls67fgb/IMG_20160203_181856_1454523650235.jpg

Or did I get the wrong box?

I'm just not sure because its a different connection to my cable connection I'm trying to hook up to it.

Or do I need an adapter? This is first cable box I've bought. I usually deal with dvb-s tuners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

I'm just not sure because its a different connection to my cable connection I'm trying to hook up to it.

Or do I need an adapter? This is first cable box I've bought. I usually deal with dvb-s tuners

You just need an adapter m8

Is there an RF OUT on that version ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

Anyone have any decent openelec/tvheadend/oscam images that I/We could burn to get us going?

http://linuxsat-support.com/showthread.php?t=101362

fully set up and ready to go,
    you enable either vdr or tvheadend ;)

thanks to Honcho for this backup
    GaryCocs wrote: »
    Anyone have any decent openelec/tvheadend/oscam images that I/We could burn to get us going?

GY A1 wrote: »
    http://linuxsat-support.com/showthread.php?t=101362

fully set up and ready to go,
    you enable either vdr or tvheadend ;)

I used this and had it working fine in no time (for the FTA channels), struggled with Oscam though.

• Advertisement

GY A1 wrote:
    fully set up and ready to go, you enable either vdr or tvheadend

GY A1 wrote:

Did you get that backup fully set up and working with oscam?

I used this and had it working fine in no time (for the FTA channels), struggled with Oscam though.

everything is there so u cant go wrong lol

You got the right one, dont worry. You just need an F > RF adapter like the one pictured here: https://wetek.com/shop/dvb-ctt2-tuner

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Do they ship with an adaptor or do you need to pick up your own?

they use bnc connectors on the box like you have for sat/cable so likely most will need adaptor when using with dvb-t as their aerial will likely have RF on the end of it's cable for connecting to TV. I got a 2 pack of them in a local hardware/electrical shop.

But yes one of the connectors is in and one is out.

they use bnc connectors on the box like you have for sat/cable so likely most will need adaptor when using with dvb-t as their aerial will likely have RF on the end of it's cable for connecting to TV. I got a 2 pack of them in a local hardware/electrical shop.

But yes one of the connectors is in and one is out.

I mean RF OUT as in you can run a coax to the other TVs in your house and just tune in the appropriate channel.

On the sat versions there is a twin tuner (so 2 sat feeds in), but an RF out on the sat box would have been handy for me!

They are not BNC connectors on the boxes they are F connectors. :P

• Advertisement

GY A1 wrote: »
    everything is there so u cant go wrong lol

Bejaysus I can! and have and most likely will again!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You need one of these depending on what tv cable you have

https://www.mediatec.ie/tv-sat-connectors/coaxial-to-f-connectors/coaxial-male-to-f-male-adapter-1.html

https://www.mediatec.ie/tv-sat-connectors/coaxial-to-f-connectors/coaxial-female-to-f-male-adapter-1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

foggy_lad wrote: »

The old Wetek tuners were the ones without the threads, but the new ones are like that, and the connector/adaptor above should have been sellotaped to the tuner. It was on one I got.

Lads,

having issues connecting to the wetek from my PC.

I was able to do this a few days ago by entering the wetek IP address in my web browser, however I have failed to do this the last two evenings.

I am also unable to connect to the wetek through the "run command" on my PC. I have also tried the Dreambox Control Centre application but this doesn't work either.

I have made sure that the Web Server in Kodi is checked and permission allowed and also the Remote Control option in Kodi is also check and permission allowed.

I have searched through the internet but I have not been able to find an answer.

Any ideas what this could be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Haven't got one (YET!!) but some basics to check - Is it configured for DHCP? if so, perhaps it has picked up a new IP address. Can you ping its ip? If so, then your networking is in tact and the issue is more likely to be with configuration of the box itself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement