Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WETEK Play/OPENELEC user discussion, tips n' tricks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Trevord wrote: »
    What's your end objective here in terms of box capability?

If you want UKFTA channels + Kodi then to be honest I think that the Android route is far simpler. Wetek Theatre for UK FTA channels can be set up quite easily. It's a case of pick your satelitte (28.2 E) scan for FTA channels and then create groups of favourites such as entertainment, news, music, kids.

You'll need to go openelec or enigma route if you want more than that. But that could be achieved on a microsd card.

Why not get the box working with android on internal memory and then play around with getting openelec or enigma working on the microsd card at your leisure.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm doing.
    If it's not a stupid question, how do i create AutoBouquets with Wetek Theatre
    - it looks easy with ATV http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=discussion/13438/video-tutorial-install-autobouquets.
    In the Submenu of Wetek Theatre it offers me the opportunity to a "Add/remove from Bouquet" but not to create one!

I don't have access yet to this site http://linuxsat-support.com/showthread.php?t=18085&page=4, the admins must be off for the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

Yes, this is exactly what I'm doing.
    If it's not a stupid question, how do i create AutoBouquets with Wetek Theatre
    - it looks easy with ATV http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=discussion/13438/video-tutorial-install-autobouquets.
    In the Submenu of Wetek Theatre it offers me the opportunity to a "Add/remove from Bouquet" but not to create one!

I don't have access yet to this site http://linuxsat-support.com/showthread.php?t=18085&page=4, the admins must be off for the weekend

Wetek Theatre is a weak point with the current android software with this box and the developers know that.

You can change the order of the channels but you can't change the channel numbers, which is totally confusing.

You can create groups rather than bouquets manually. Go to channel options > edit groups and create group names manually such as entertainment, news, kids etc.

Then go to channel options > edit channels and favourite each channel you want to be in a group. As you do that an option will appear for you to decide which group you want each channel to go into.

When you are finished you can access the group menu by using the left arrow beside the OK button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭branners69

Playing around with Openelec today and Live TV with sat connection. I have the PBnigma working prefectly ( and I am very happy with it!) so wasnt too fussed about getting this working.

I managed to get it all working but whenever I change channel there can be some buffering? I dont understand why there is any buffering as the signal isnt being streamed? Or is it from the backend to the frontend?

The only slight headache I am having is with the Bouquets, anyone with a decent link to a tutorial how to get a mix of UK and Irish channels working?

Before I realised the Bouquets are the way to go, I was deleting the channels I didnt want. I managed to get it down from over 900 to 400 but when I went out and back in, it went back up to 900 channels! :mad:

branners69 wrote: »
    Playing around with Openelec today and Live TV with sat connection. I have the PBnigma working prefectly ( and I am very happy with it!) so wasnt too fussed about getting this working.

I managed to get it all working but whenever I change channel there can be some buffering? I dont understand why there is any buffering as the signal isnt being streamed? Or is it from the backend to the frontend?

The only slight headache I am having is with the Bouquets, anyone with a decent link to a tutorial how to get a mix of UK and Irish channels working?

Before I realised the Bouquets are the way to go, I was deleting the channels I didnt want. I managed to get it down from over 900 to 400 but when I went out and back in, it went back up to 900 channels! :mad:

Tvheadend is reported as being slow alright by some people in the thread

See for example

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98694432&postcount=837

Tvheadend is reported as being slow alright by some people in the thread

See for example

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98694432&postcount=837

I saw that post earlier when I did a search for Bouquets & Tvheadend, but I was surprised as to how much of a delay there is. I use a Minix box in the back room to stream from PBnigma and I reckon it is faster changing channels and it is streaming them!

If you want to show off your Wetek box as a Sly replacement then PBnigma is the way to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭sibersha

I just bought a dvb-s2 version of Wetek play. I plan on using the PBnigma image. Would a usb dvb-t tuner work on this image or can it only be used via openelec? If so, any recommendations?

There is an application called dreambox editor that allows you to edit Bouquets. Might be worth a try.

sibersha wrote: »
    I just bought a dvb-s2 version of Wetek play. I plan on using the PBnigma image. Would a usb dvb-t tuner work on this image or can it only be used via openelec? If so, any recommendations?

This was discussed previously, here!

I was going to get one but now want I want a combo dvb-t and dvb-c tuner! Can anyone recommend one?

There is an application called dreambox editor that allows you to edit Bouquets. Might be worth a try.

Thanks, will give that a shot!

jakdublin wrote: »
    Yes it is. It's from China so it'll take 3-4 weeks to arrive.

http://www.tinydeal.com/-p-155067.html

When I got mine I realised the ariel it comes with is useless so I got this adapter to connect it to a regular ariel.

http://www.maplin.ie/p/maplin-mcx-plug-to-coax-socket-aerial-adapter-n62ln

Hi Jackdublin.

Are you using PBnigma image? And if so, does the dvb-t tuner work with this image?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Hi Jackdublin.

Are you using PBnigma image? And if so, does the dvb-t tuner work with this image?

No. My set up is openelec. Tested the tuner with my set up and it works fine but I need an outside arieL lots of buffering with the indoor antenna.

You can change the order of the channels but you can't change the channel numbers, which is totally confusing.
    Under Edit Channels, I waswas able to "move" the channels into the order I wanted for channels 1-20, so now for example I can just press 1 for example and BBC 1 comes on, 3 for ITV etc.

Now if only I could import these picons

The Wetek remote control is not great for Wetek Theatre or Wetek OS in general. Had to connect a keyboard & mouse, though there is an Android app.

Just got my external hard drive mounted to kodi running on Wetek OS using this method, so I'm happy :-)

Under Edit Channels, I was able to "move" the channels into the order I wanted for channels 1-20, so now for example I can just press 1 for example and BBC 1 comes on, 3 for ITV etc.

Just need to get my external hard drive mounted to Wetek OS and I'm happy :-)

Ok. That's interesting. That is exactly how you would want it to work. But what happens when you reboot the box? Do the channels stay in that sequence and retain those logical numbers?

Are you using the version 1.1.7 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I saw that post earlier when I did a search for Bouquets & Tvheadend, but I was surprised as to how much of a delay there is. I use a Minix box in the back room to stream from PBnigma and I reckon it is faster changing channels and it is streaming them!

If you want to show off your Wetek box as a Sly replacement then PBnigma is the way to go!

changing channels takes about 2 seconds for me. check the live tv settings in kodi, could be something there slowing you down

& the buffering too, haven't really noticed it much lately, though times it'll catch up with it self when changing channels - if you know what i mean by that - not sure if it's a tvheadend/kodi/hardware problem or combination even .
    though compared with a sky box i don't think some channels look as good, again it's difficult to know if it's software/hardware

Do the channels stay in that sequence and retain those logical numbers?

Are you using the version 1.1.7 ?
    Yes to both questions....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Hi guys.

Looking to purchase from the WETEK website with the DVB-S2 Tuner but it is out of stock. Any other reliable website out there.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Hi guys.

Looking to purchase from the WETEK website with the DVB-S2 Tuner but it is out of stock. Any other reliable website out there.

Thanks

Are they out of stock here too? - http://webshop.openelec.tv/shop/wetek-openelec-box-with-dvb-s2-tuner (I didn't check, but they are also an 'official' wetek store.)

These also sell it.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/WeTek-Android-OpenELEC-Receiver-Schwarz/dp/B00USB7BF8
    Geekbuying sell it. (Could get hit for customs)
    You could buy one with no tuner from Wetek and buy a tuner seperately also.

Allyall wrote: »
    Are they out of stock here too? - http://webshop.openelec.tv/shop/wetek-openelec-box-with-dvb-s2-tuner (I didn't check, but they are also an 'official' wetek store.)

These also sell it.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/WeTek-Android-OpenELEC-Receiver-Schwarz/dp/B00USB7BF8
    Geekbuying sell it. (Could get hit for customs)
    You could buy one with no tuner from Wetek and buy a tuner seperately also.

Thanks its available on the openelecs website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Questions about the configuration of Kodi and pbnigma, is there a way to enable/pair a bluetooth keyboard on pbnigma or Kodi? On the Openelec software installed with the WETEK box I could configure the keyboard but the version of Kodi from pbnigma I do not see Openelec so I cannot configure it. Any ideas? Thanks

tommycahir thanks for the pbnigma guide, very useful and easy to setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Hi guys.

Thanks

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_wetek/

A few on adverts.

• Advertisement

eamonnq wrote: »

Thanks ordered from openelec,should have it tomorrow.

Total newbie to this.Which is the better setup for tv - enigma with openatv or openelec with tvheadend. From what I've read so far I'm leaning towards enigma. I will probably also install android to NAND. Liking the look of the slyk skin. Is there an enigma image with the slyk skin loaded as default?

Many hours of tinkering lies ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Many hours of tinkering lies ahead.

You left out a few 'manys' !!

Many many many days of tinkering lie ahead!!!

Got mine up and running (with a lot of help!), but have not gone back to messing about with it again since, but I will........someday!!

eamonnq wrote: »
    You left out a few 'manys' !!

Many many many days of tinkering lie ahead!!!

Got mine up and running (with a lot of help!), but have not gone back to messing about with it again since, but I will........someday!!
    Yes, gotta agree, it is a pet project!
    If you don't have the guts of 10-20 hours to spend on this, you should look elsewhere.

But I'm delighted with Wetek OS. Under this, I have Wetek Theatre for satellite channels, Kodi for streaming channels and Android OS for Netflix and other popular apps for movies.
    Few others boxes offer such possibilities!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Do people find android useable? Mine was painfully slow so I reverted back to openelec.

Maybe it was my flash, I thought it was awful. Will give it another go of its not suppose to be like that.

Hi guys,

Just got this box today. When I go into tvheadend the tuners do not show up under TV adapters. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Sean

RossieMan wrote: »
    Do people find android useable? Mine was painfully slow so I reverted back to openelec.

Maybe it was my flash, I thought it was awful. Will give it another go of its not suppose to be like that.

On android HD channels can be occasionally problematic - moving through channels is a bit slow compared to more high end boxes. But its reasonable overall for a bedroom/occasional use sat box (not as a main tv box in my view)

Returned to tinkering with getting the Android Wetek Theater into a workable state after D'people's Voice reported success in getting sensible channels numbers organised.

The Dreamset channel editing software is a wild goose chase in this regard. For Wetek it is not fully compatible and does not allow you to renumber the channels in a logical order. The only way to do it is to manually sort the channels on the box, which takes a good tedious hour I'd say just for the FTA ones.

On the plus side I was able to copy the dvb.db file (the channel list file) from the Wetek box using FTP and I've successfully copied it to other Wetek boxes, which made light work of setting up the Wetek Theater on other boxes.

If anyone wants a Wetek Theater channel list for the FTA channels (roughly in the order that they appear on Freesat) let me know.

Anyone using Android 1.1.7 on NAND and Pbnigma on microsd?

Have you managed to maintain the dual boot function?

I've seen it reported elsewhere that it worked for the first few boots but after that it defaults to NAND and you can't get Enigma to boot any longer.

That was my experience too - worked a few times and then it wouldn't boot from microsd any longer.

Some reports suggest that its down to a bug which breaks the boot tool if you change the screen resolution, but I let mine stay on the default 720p and it still stopped doing dual boot after about 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Anyone using Android 1.1.7 on NAND and Pbnigma on microsd?

Have you managed to maintain the dual boot function?

I've seen it reported elsewhere that it worked for the first few boots but after that it defaults to NAND and you can't get Enigma to boot any longer.

That was my experience too - worked a few times and then it wouldn't boot from microsd any longer.

Some reports suggest that its down to a bug which breaks the boot tool if you change the screen resolution, but I let mine stay on the default 720p and it still stopped doing dual boot after about 24 hours.

I think I had same problem, small patch on post #2 HERE fixed it for me.

All I found on Wetek forum was people saying dual bood didnt work and no fix etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

what is openelec?!
    can it be installed on any good rooted tv box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭bromley52

T-Bird wrote: »

All I found on Wetek forum was people saying dual bood didnt work and no fix etc.

I believe changing the display resolution changes some extra unforseen setting on the wetek and preventing booting from msd. The patch mentioned above does fix it.

For anyone interested in installing and configuring OpenATV I found a good step by step guide. It is not specifically written for the Wetek and I have not tried it.

http://www.techkings.org/zgemma-star-2s/84949-bare-bones-openatv-new-setup-guide.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭tommycahir

bromley52 wrote: »
    For anyone interested in installing and configuring OpenATV I found a good step by step guide. It is not specifically written for the Wetek and I have not tried it.

http://www.techkings.org/zgemma-star-2s/84949-bare-bones-openatv-new-setup-guide.html

That is a very good guide but openatv will always remain at v5.1 on the wetek as it is not possible to port v5.2 to it.
    I found openatv a pretty good and stable image but with limited updates to fix bugs such as sharing streams to other devices and these updates will become even more sparse now that the main img is moving to 5.2 and wetek is trailing on v5.1

tommycahir wrote: »
    That is a very good guide but openatv will always remain at v5.1 on the wetek as it is not possible to port v5.2 to it.
    I found openatv a pretty good and stable image but with limited updates to fix bugs such as sharing streams to other devices and these updates will become even more sparse now that the main img is moving to 5.2 and wetek is trailing on v5.1

Thanks for the tip. Before I put too much effort into OpenATV is there an E2 image you would recommend for the Wetek?

Thanks for the tip. Before I put too much effort into OpenATV is there an E2 image you would recommend for the Wetek?

Google "craigs pbnigma wetek image", I doubt it can be beaten. Especially if you are only learning, it comes with everything you need such as Sly skin, Kodi etc. It is a 16gb image compressed down to a 2gb download.

After, if you want, you can create your own image but most I reckon just stick with Craigs as it works!

Hi guys,

Just got this box today. When I go into tvheadend the tuners do not show up under TV adapters. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Sean

Now tuner 1 is showing but not tuner 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Now tuner 1 is showing but not tuner 2.

have_2D00_you_2D00_tried1.jpg

:pac: keep trying that it'll show up

The very person you quoted has compiled a very good tutorial. There should be a link to it a few pages back.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    have_2D00_you_2D00_tried1.jpg

:pac: keep trying that it'll show up

Thanks,after a number of resets both are now showing.

I tried that patch over the weekend and it did not work for me. I was able to install the patch but it seemed to have no effect on the dual boot process.

Right now I see the dual boot option window on start up, but pressing the power button won't make it switch the boot from NAND to microsd.

Is the patch supposed to fix the dual boot tool or does it just revert the box back to the old dual boot method (where it automatically boots from the micro sd when it detects the microsd card is in the slot)?

So just the box, was advertised as Wetek play but has orange light so assuming it's the Openelec version.

When I boot up I get the wetek logo for a few seconds then an Openelec logo, the box then reboots and repeats. Is this normal?

Tried a couple of images using sd card. Openelec image ran fine but crashed after 5 minutes.

The tried the pnigma image, I get the wetek logo then a different openlec image before the box reboots and does the same again?

Any suggestions? Or have I bought a brick?

• Advertisement

So just the box, was advertised as Wetek play but has orange light so assuming it's the Openelec version.

When I boot up I get the wetek logo for a few seconds then an Openelec logo, the box then reboots and repeats. Is this normal?

Tried a couple of images using sd card. Openelec image ran fine but crashed after 5 minutes.

The tried the pnigma image, I get the wetek logo then a different openlec image before the box reboots and does the same again?

Any suggestions? Or have I bought a brick?

Possibly the boot loop problem. If its that then the solution involves opening the box and re positioning the SIM card.

http://www.wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/discussion/13059/tutorial-how-to-check-your-security-sim-on-wetek-openelec

or you could first try reflashing the NAND (internal memory) to see if that resolves it

http://www.wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/discussion/26837/openelec-6-0-1-release-for-wetek-play-openelec

Possibly the boot loop problem. If its that then the solution involves opening the box and re positioning the SIM card.

http://www.wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/discussion/13059/tutorial-how-to-check-your-security-sim-on-wetek-openelec

or you could first try reflashing the NAND (internal memory) to see if that resolves it

http://www.wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/discussion/26837/openelec-6-0-1-release-for-wetek-play-openelec

Thanks Trevor, will give that a try over the weekend. Cheers.

Anyone have a step by step guide for adding a full epg with tvheadend. There is only an epg for some channels at present.

I tried that patch over the weekend and it did not work for me. I was able to install the patch but it seemed to have no effect on the dual boot process.

Right now I see the dual boot option window on start up, but pressing the power button won't make it switch the boot from NAND to microsd.

Is the patch supposed to fix the dual boot tool or does it just revert the box back to the old dual boot method (where it automatically boots from the micro sd when it detects the microsd card is in the slot)?

What power button are you using? It is the one from the remote control not the box. Took me a while to fathom that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BopperSnr

Anyone have a step by step guide for adding a full epg with tvheadend. There is only an epg for some channels at present.
    I am having the same issue with EPG not always updating for all channels.
    Could it be we missed a step after tuning in all the channels (maybe need to map services)?

What is the bouquet to select when setting it up via the tvheadend webpage. Is it this one:
    BSkyB Bouquet 4 - DTH Other: Republic of Ireland

Also if someone had some presaved channel lists put into channel tags (like entertainment, movies, sports etc) that they could share . that would be so helpful.

BopperSnr wrote: »
    I am having the same issue with EPG not always updating for all channels.
    Could it be we missed a step after tuning in all the channels (maybe need to map services)?

What is the bouquet to select when setting it up via the tvheadend webpage. Is it this one:
    BSkyB Bouquet 4 - DTH Other: Republic of Ireland

Also if someone had some presaved channel lists put into channel tags (like entertainment, movies, sports etc) that they could share . that would be so helpful.

I used BSkyB Bouquet 1 - HD Other:Republic of Ireland. Also selected use channel number from backend in kodi settings. I also deleted all duplicated channels from the channel list in tvheadend.

Still stumped on getting the EPG working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Solaris10

mine is for sale WETEK OPENELEC BOX WITH DVB-S2 TUNER €68 collection in Dublin , am using pi3 to play my media files....thanks

What power button are you using? It is the one from the remote control not the box. Took me a while to fathom that one out.

Yes I have been trying the power button on the remote. As I said it worked the first few times but not afterwards. I might try a different microsd card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

Solaris10 wrote: »
    mine is for sale WETEK OPENELEC BOX WITH DVB-S2 TUNER €68 collection in Dublin , am using pi3 to play my media files....thanks
    how old is the box?
    what does openelc do over any other rooted android box?! i dont know what openelec is dispite trying to find out on google ! is it just a program on tv box for watching frevieW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Openelec is just and sleek OS that runs Kodi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement