Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WETEK Play/OPENELEC user discussion, tips n' tricks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gillamandango

Thanks for the replys lads. I flashed Libreelec 7.0.2 to NAND and all works flawlessly. However, I want to play around with mSD and seem to be going round in circles. If my presumptions are incorrect, can someone correct me?

1. Android has to be on NAND, Libreelec on mSD?
    2. Latest build for android is - Android Update v.1.1.7?

How do I use the mSD card method? Do I have to use Disk Formatter-> Disk Imager->Write to mSD, put in Wetek and Boot?

I tried using the “LibreELEC USB-SD Creator” and the "LibreELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-7.0.2.img.gz" file on mSD. I put that in my wetek and let it run but it just hung, said bad installation or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Hello folks!

I have finally setup one Wetek Play box to work in conjunction with an Amazon Fire TV for an adjoining room. Using default Openelec, tvHeadend and attempting to use Oscam.

Managed to have the Amazon Fire TV connected but with only one satellite feed I could only watch on one box at a time (or if the channels were on the same mux I believe?)
    Anyway, I've connected in a second satellite feed to the Wetek Play - how can I watch the Wetek Play in the living room and the Amazon Fire TV in the sitting room at the same time? What changes do I need to make in tvheadend? I have configured the second tuner to be the same as the first, but I don't know if that is right?

Also, if anyone at all can offer help with oscam on a N: line it would be really helpful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Haven't received my wetek play 2 yet but am I right in saying that most people when setting it up, simply use an SD card for LibreElec and then dual boot into that or the Wetek Android setup?

I am really struggling to find guides, I am coming from the RaspPi where there were endless step by step guides.

Has anyone got any guides or tips that I should follow as soon as I get it? I got the cable tuner as my apartment only has cable, so not sure if there is much I can do with that really.

Found this guide for install on MicroSd which is very easy obviously. https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/static.wetek.com/storage/tutorial/pdf/547dd183-f450-4ab1-b908-2abf25fc7e5d-WeTekPlayHowtoinstallLinuxXBMCorOpenELEConMicroSD.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Hello folks!

I have finally setup one Wetek Play box to work in conjunction with an Amazon Fire TV for an adjoining room. Using default Openelec, tvHeadend and attempting to use Oscam.

Managed to have the Amazon Fire TV connected but with only one satellite feed I could only watch on one box at a time (or if the channels were on the same mux I believe?)
    Anyway, I've connected in a second satellite feed to the Wetek Play - how can I watch the Wetek Play in the living room and the Amazon Fire TV in the sitting room at the same time? What changes do I need to make in tvheadend? I have configured the second tuner to be the same as the first, but I don't know if that is right?

Also, if anyone at all can offer help with oscam on a N: line it would be really helpful!

did you try it again? that should work i think.

you're right about the muxes, but there's no way of knowing what channels you can view unless you remember/look them up. the enigma images will greyout unavailable channels in that scenario which is far better

oscam, try one of the forums geared towards linux satellite boxes or someone might pm you on it.

Raoul wrote: »
    Haven't received my wetek play 2 yet but am I right in saying that most people when setting it up, simply use an SD card for LibreElec and then dual boot into that or the Wetek Android setup?

I am really struggling to find guides, I am coming from the RaspPi where there were endless step by step guides.

most here use libreelec/openelec on nand or an enigma image off an sd, few android users, well that be posting regular anyway.

a poster here - tommy something i think - has made a guide for enigma. what do you need to setup?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    most here use libreelec/openelec on nand or an enigma image off an sd, few android users, well that be posting regular anyway.

a poster here - tommy something i think - has made a guide for enigma. what do you need to setup?

I don't even know yet to be honest, just don't want to have to do all my research on xmas day ha.

I will probably end up setting up enigma on kodi (I have other addons that I want on kodi). But I also probably want one or two android apps at the start (eventually I might find no need for the android part.) So, I will probs go with LE on the sd and dual boot.

:D yeah i'd stick with android then for over xmas with kodi on that. it'll be less hassle & leave the other stuff to new year.

i think the tv app on android with play2 is better than the first but not sure if cable will work

batistuta9 wrote: »
    :D yeah i'd stick with android then for over xmas with kodi on that. it'll be less hassle & leave the other stuff to new year.

i think the tv app on android with play2 is better than the first but not sure if cable will work

Do you mean kodi on android (spmc) or libreelec?

android, you can just use kodi too instead of spmc.

batistuta9 wrote:
    you're right about the muxes, but there's no way of knowing what channels you can view unless you remember/look them up. the enigma images will greyout unavailable channels in that scenario which is far better

did you try it again? that should work i think.

oscam, try one of the forums geared towards linux satellite boxes or someone might pm you on it.

Yea I got it working! Delighted with myself! I have a soft spot for Kodi/Openelec as I've been using it since Dharma so I thought I'd keep it in the family.

I spent a few hours on oscam and it broke my heart yesterday. I'll take another look tonight for some more open heart surgery!

Right, so I actually got this earlier than expected. Couple of questions that I can't find the answer to.

How do I turn on SSH and Samba? Been trying to transfer files through winscp. In normal libreelec Kodi, I can find the setting to turn on SSH and Samba but I can't see it on the WeOS version of Kodi. At the moment, it just refuses the connection.

How do I update that version of Kodi to the latest LE or...is this not even LE?

The only channels it seems to pick up are locked channels and not the free to air channels that I get on my TV through my normal cable connection. How can I unlock this? This is through the WeTV scanner.

Where can I find the TVHeadend repo in this version of Kodi?

Is there a workaround to get sky go working on this?

Sorry, they are total noob questions but I am finding it hard to see anyone solutions from the Wetek forums and in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

How do I turn on SSH and Samba? Been trying to transfer files through winscp. In normal libreelec Kodi, I can find the setting to turn on SSH and Samba but I can't see it on the WeOS version of Kodi.
    Where can I find the TVHeadend repo in this version of Kodi?
    Is there a workaround to get sky go working on this?
    ssh and samba services are part of the underlying linux OS in libreelec,
    not part of Kodi itself. They don't exist in the same way in WeOS.
    You can't use winscp without ssh working.

You should be able to download an android filesharing app to allow access to the box over samba
    - Here's one example - I can't recommend one over any other.
    You might have to search around to find where the configuration is held on WeOS.

There is no tvheadend on WeOS. Even if you got the service installed,
    the WeOS kernel doesn't support the tuner in a way that tvheadend can use.
    I've seen a cyanogenmod based build that might work that way,
    but haven't tried it myself - I'm happy enough with LibreElec.
    Might give it a go over Christmas though, as it would be nice to have Netflix on the box too!

I don't have a Sky subscription myself, so I can't make any suggestions about that end of it. It should definitely be possible.

niallb wrote: »
    ssh and samba services are part of the underlying linux OS in libreelec,
    not part of Kodi itself. They don't exist in the same way in WeOS.
    You can't use winscp without ssh working.

You should be able to download an android filesharing app to allow access to the box over samba
    - Here's one example - I can't recommend one over any other.
    You might have to search around to find where the configuration is held on WeOS.

There is no tvheadend on WeOS. Even if you got the service installed,
    the WeOS kernel doesn't support the tuner in a way that tvheadend can use.
    I've seen a cyanogenmod based build that might work that way,
    but haven't tried it myself - I'm happy enough with LibreElec.
    Might give it a go over Christmas though, as it would be nice to have Netflix on the box too!

I don't have a Sky subscription myself, so I can't make any suggestions about that end of it. It should definitely be possible.
    Cheers Niall. So I have spent ages doing stuff that I am not able to do anyway :D:D.

Any idea about the locked channels? What I have is actually a very basic cable that is from Virgin where I get about 16 channels (campus accommodation). Any ideas on how I get the tuner to work with this? At the moment I get about 90 locked channels and none of the channels which I get on my TV work on the box even when I choose FTA only.

The problem with the skygo app is that it detects that I am using a HDMI out and therefore is not compatible. I can't get it on a web browser either as I can't install microsoft silverlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mrwish

Any idea about the locked channels? What I have is actually a very basic cable that is from Virgin where I get about 16 channels (campus accommodation). Any ideas on how I get the tuner to work with this?

These Virgin Media channels are analogue aren't they? They won't tune on the Wetek receiver which is digital only - all of the digital stuff is encrypted. :( It'd be logical and useful if at some point Virgin replaced the basic FTA analogue service with a digital version that could be tuned directly on TVs/set top boxes, but I doubt they ever will!

These boxes are really decent though. I've the first edition one and it sits under my TV running LibreElec, streaming channels from my PC with a few tuner cards in it running TVHeadend.

I like that it can output 1080i50 and let the TV deinterlace the picture, the video quality from the box is really nice.

mrwish wrote: »
    These Virgin Media channels are analogue aren't they? They won't tune on the Wetek receiver which is digital only - all of the digital stuff is encrypted. :( It'd be logical and useful if at some point Virgin replaced the basic FTA analogue service with a digital version that could be tuned directly on TVs/set top boxes, but I doubt they ever will!

These boxes are really decent though. I've the first edition one and it sits under my TV running LibreElec, streaming channels from my PC with a few tuner cards in it running TVHeadend.

I like that it can output 1080i50 and let the TV deinterlace the picture, the video quality from the box is really nice.

Oh FFS, you are right actually. Ohwell :D:D.

I was running Kodi on it and I am not sure if it is significantly faster than the Rpi3 I had (which I found was sluggish at times). I will have to use it a bit more to find out.

So it seems for my current living situation, I am just going to have to use it as a Kodi box. :).

Getting skygo working on it would be amazing though. I see that on the Wetek forum lots of people have sky go Germany working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Oh FFS, you are right actually. Ohwell :D:D.

So it seems for my current living situation, I am just going to have to use it as a Kodi box. :).

You could use an Analogue USB tuner in tvheadend if you went back to libreelec,
    thought that would leave you needing to find a sky go plugin for kodi...

niallb wrote: »
    You could use an Analogue USB tuner in tvheadend if you went back to libreelec,
    thought that would leave you needing to find a sky go plugin for kodi...
    Think I would prefer to leave the channels on the TV and then just try and find out how to get sky go working.

Cheers lads :)

Does anyone have a decent Openelec backup with tvHeadEnd and oscam I can steal? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks is there anyone here who might be able to get my Wetek up and running?

I've tried a few times and failed miserably, it got to the point of no return and it's now sitting in a press gathering dust.

I'm in Wexford and I'll sort someone out for their time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I was running Kodi on it and I am not sure if it is significantly faster than the Rpi3 I had (which I found was sluggish at times). I will have to use it a bit more to find out.
    Have you tried running WEplayer which is the Wetek fork of Kodi that comes pre-installed on the Play 2? That's what I use and find it very responsive.

I have also tried LibreElec installed on a Samsung class 10 SD card but found it to be a bit laggy compared to WEplayer on android.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

On TvHeadend, does anyone have like 2-3 seconds of buffering when changing the channel?

I have connected the Fire Tv to use the second tuner and it is near immediate.

Any thoughts anyone?

Edit: It's more like 7-8 seconds actually :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Any images for the Wetek dvb-c?

Similar to what tommycahir posted for the wetek sat boxes, openatv or something like that?

I have cable channels running through Kodi and tvheadend at the moment, but it's a pain to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

It literally takes 20 minutes to sort it out yourself. Its the only way of learning how to sort the box out when the problems start. I'd avoid the ready to use builds as you won't learn the set up from it.

It's the set up that's the fun part. :D

RossieMan wrote: »
    It literally takes 20 minutes to sort it out yourself. Its the only way of learning how to sort the box out when the problems start. I'd avoid the ready to use builds as you won't learn the set up from it.

It's the set up that's the fun part. :D

I just want an image to start from

Something like an openatv image. But for dvb-c

I just don't know where to find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Have a look at sat universe or the official wetek forum. I'm on my phone now a can't find you a link. I always found pbnigma the most friendly at the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Any images for the Wetek dvb-c?

Similar to what tommycahir posted for the wetek sat boxes, openatv or something like that?

I have cable channels running through Kodi and tvheadend at the moment, but it's a pain to use

This might help,you may need an account though

http://linuxsat-support.com/showthread.php/106471-Complete-WETEK-PLAY-OpenATV-oscam-DVB-C-setup-Guide

• Advertisement

By jaysus I've had nothing but hassle!

TvHeadend is fine but it takes ages to tune a channel - 8-10 seconds I'm talking here, which is mental. Works fine on the network and connect to it fine.

Tried VDR then. Far quicker tuning the channels - loaded the EPG far quicker too. Can't use the second tuner at all in the second room, after allowing LAN IPs access the VNSI server. Back to the drawing board!

Feel free to offer any advice!
    Happy Christmas folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

By jaysus I've had nothing but hassle!

TvHeadend is fine but it takes ages to tune a channel - 8-10 seconds I'm talking here, which is mental. Works fine on the network and connect to it fine.

Tried VDR then. Far quicker tuning the channels - loaded the EPG far quicker too. Can't use the second tuner at all in the second room, after allowing LAN IPs access the VNSI server. Back to the drawing board!

Feel free to offer any advice!
    Happy Christmas folks!

Best advice? Read Tommy Cahir's guide. Honestly can't go wrong

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Folks is there anyone here who might be able to get my Wetek up and running?

I've tried a few times and failed miserably, it got to the point of no return and it's now sitting in a press gathering dust.

I'm in Wexford and I'll sort someone out for their time.

What are you trying to do with it?

What are you trying to do with it?

Get it up and running. I've the sat tuner version but it always crashed on me after searching for channels and I just gave up on it after a few attempts.

Get it up and running. I've the sat tuner version but it always crashed on me after searching for channels and I just gave up on it after a few attempts.

Did you try running an Enigma2 image or are you set on TvHeadend etc?

• Advertisement

wiz569 wrote: »
    Did you try running an Enigma2 image or are you set on TvHeadend etc?

I tried Tommycahir guide but just got bogged down.

I'll give it a whirl again during the week and see where I can get.

Thanks that's exactly what I need

I tried Tommycahir guide but just got bogged down.

I'll give it a whirl again during the week and see where I can get.

Where did you get bogged down?

Where did you get bogged down?

It's been a while but when I was scanning for channels the box kept freezing and rebooting and I couldn't select the correct setting using the remote as it kept jumping through the list as I tried to scroll.

It's been a while but when I was scanning for channels the box kept freezing and rebooting and I couldn't select the correct setting using the remote as it kept jumping through the list as I tried to scroll.

I got a bit of that as well m8,don't use it now tbh,but once setup it was OK mostly,did still freeze every once in a while also found the e2 remote is a must,no random scrolling with that lol,

If I get time during the week I'll fire it up again and see if it still works,could always just post a working image on SD card down to Wexford.

I got a bit of that as well m8,don't use it now tbh,but once setup it was OK mostly,did still freeze every once in a while also found the e2 remote is a must,no random scrolling with that lol,

If I get time during the week I'll fire it up again and see if it still works,could always just post a working image on SD card down to Wexford.

That'd be great. I really appreciate it. I'll have to see about this remote, I meant to order one but never got around to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

That'd be great. I really appreciate it. I'll have to see about this remote, I meant to order one but never got around to it.

you can skip the scanning for channels bit if you are going to use something like AutoBouquets e2 to sort groupings for you.

In terms of the openelec remote skipping there are 2 solutions
    1) buy the enigma2 one
    2) have a look at links in advanced section of my guide on switching the USB receiver to an outside port

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Wynnie12

Anyone know where else I can pick up an enigma 2 remote for this box? Wetek store is out of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

I have the original wetek openele, I've moved on to a proper satellite box. I'm going to put it up on adverts but if anyone is interested send me a pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

I have a wetek Play for sale with Sat tuner if anyone is interested let me know.

• Advertisement

I followed this tutorial to install OpenAttv to Nand.

However I got to the part where it updates, and it just keeps updating in an endless loop.

The android sign comes up with a blue bar at the bottom. It completes the update, restarts then goes back into the update again, in an endless loop.

So I had to plug it out when it completed. Turned on the box, but I only get a black screen.

Any ideas?

Anyone had similar issue?

I followed this guide to restore it, but it just does a boot loop where the Wetek Play Logo shows, then it restarts:
    https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/static.wetek.com/storage/tutorial/pdf/54988470-afec-4dbf-81a0-0e7a25fc7e5d-WeTekPlayHowtounbrickorrecoverWeTekPlay.pdf

Would it be because I have a Wetek Play OpenElec? I thought it was same as Wetek play?

Corrupt NAND again so time to reflash, this time though I may just go for a totally clean install and not restore the backup.

That means setting up TVHeadend again , are there better options there or is that still the way to go for DVB-T :confused:

Is the warranty actually void when you flash something else on the NAND (i.e LibreElec)?

Is the warranty actually void when you flash something else on the NAND (i.e LibreElec)?

No idea to be honest. But you don;t have to flash if you want libreelec you can update. My issue is nand corruption which I've had with openelec also and also on other devices par for the course really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Doubt it
    It's nothing major to reflash

Just for anyone else wondering, installing LE on the NAND does void your warranty.

http://www.wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/discussion/29432/nand-installation-failed

But I am not sure how they would know anyway if you just factory reset and reinstall the wetek OS.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Our box seems to have got a glitch. When we turned it on today it first came up with an error message at top of screen. Then unplugged and it got stuck on the Openelec screen. Unplugged again it passed the open elec but is now flashing up the Kodi screen & wont do anything else. Anyone know what night be wrong?

Error message says:
    Starting debugging shell...type exit to quit
    Can't access tty: job control turned off

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

Hi all. Looking for quick advice or pointing in right direction. Is there a how to turn the wetek play into an android box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

You have openelec on the box at the moment ?
    Go to the wetek web and you can download android for it.
    And install android to the box instead of your openelec
    It's fairly straight forward

battser wrote: »
    Hi all. Looking for quick advice or pointing in right direction. I am getting a bit sick of Kodi esp for sport and I have mobdro on my phone which is always solid yet most add ons on kodi are brutal.

Is there a how to turn the wetek play into an android box so I can get showbox and mobdro etc on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

GY A1 wrote: »
    You have openelec on the box at the moment ?
    Go to the wetek web and you can download android for it.
    And install android to the box instead of your openelec
    It's fairly straight forward

It is indeed. I was more looking for the links before having to sieve thru the whole thread alas I only needed to go back four pages to get what I needed.

Had it all sorted in less than half an hour. Cheers bud.

Advertisement