Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WETEK Play/OPENELEC user discussion, tips n' tricks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Download an apk file direct from Google?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Kodi v17 will not run on the latest available Android version for the older Wetek Play.

Libreelec or openelec build are the best way to get latest Kodi v17 working on Wetek play version 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

stooge wrote: »
    Kodi v17 will not run on the latest available Android version for the older Wetek Play.

Libreelec or openelec build are the best way to get latest Kodi v17 working on Wetek play version 1.

Thanks for the help - I installed Libreelec and it is working great -thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

stooge wrote: »

is the latest android useable at all even

It is. But it's fairly laggy to be honest. Android on 1gb is a thing of the past now. Just can't run anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Have wetek box got on here year ago....is it just for bin or worth giving to someone to update it with?? Cheers guys.

Tech not my strong point!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

grange mac wrote: »
    Have wetek box got on here year ago....is it just for bin or worth giving to someone to update it with?? Cheers guys.

If u giving away I'll take it off you rather than putting the bin. I can use it in kids room to work off my nas to watch movies as I can't really do anything else with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

If u giving away I'll take it off you rather than putting the bin. I can use it in kids room to work off my nas to watch movies as I can't really do anything else with it

Sure, if your in cork city, drop a pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

grange mac wrote: »

Still a very usable box if you want to run Kodi. I use mine running Libreelec for the tv in the bedroom. Works great for streaming files from my NAS, and also have it connected to my satellite box downstairs to stream live channels/recordings. Bit slow in the menus, but once a video is playing it plays absolutely fine for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

I have an Wetek openelec I bought on one of the GB's here and I am selling it. I can't find the original box or tuner with it so only really good for kodi, android box. PM if any interest. I am in Dublin willing to drop or meet halfway.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

battser wrote: »
    I have an Wetek openelec I bought on one of the GB's here and I am selling it. I can't find the original box or tuner with it so only really good for kodi, android box. PM if any interest. I am in Dublin willing to drop or meet halfway.

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

One here in monaghan also 30 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

Got one here in Cork never used with box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

Anyone still using theirs daily? Mine has started to get really slow running pbnigma 5.3.

Wondering is it time for an upgrade? Would want 2 x sat, 1 x saorview & IPTV. What have others upgraded to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

branners69 wrote: »
    Anyone still using theirs daily? Mine has started to get really slow running pbnigma 5.3.

Wondering is it time for an upgrade? Would want 2 x sat, 1 x saorview & IPTV. What have others upgraded to?

My box is a dedicated live sat tv server using tvheadend on libreelec that I use daily and as long as that’s all it does it’s great. I’ve tried various enigma setups and tried to integrate it with iptv with varying degrees of success but the best I’ve got out of it is just leaving it as a live tv server to watch and record freeview channels. I now have seperate devices for iptv, Plex and other services. Last year I wouldn’t have known what any of that even meant!
    I’ve learned so much from this device I consider it a fantastic investment, but you need to be willing to research, learn and be very patient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

What's the separate device? ^^

What's the separate device? ^^

Apple TV and I’ve an Android box I picked up for about €20 on Gearbest as backup. Just using the Wetek to record tv.

jakdublin wrote: »
    My box is a dedicated live sat tv server using tvheadend on libreelec that I use daily and as long as that’s all it does it’s great. I’ve tried various enigma setups and tried to integrate it with iptv with varying degrees of success but the best I’ve got out of it is just leaving it as a live tv server to watch and record freeview channels. I now have seperate devices for iptv, Plex and other services. Last year I wouldn’t have known what any of that even meant!
    I’ve learned so much from this device I consider it a fantastic investment, but you need to be willing to research, learn and be very patient.

I have to agree it was a fantastic buy. It was a very sharp learning curve but have enjoyed tinkering with it. I found iptv integration pretty handy, there are two small programmes which really help.

branners69 wrote: »
    I have to agree it was a fantastic buy. It was a very sharp learning curve but have enjoyed tinkering with it. I found iptv integration pretty handy, there are two small programmes which really help.

I was using Simple IPTV with tvheadend to try and combine with live tv but I went a bit OCD about not being able to put the channels in the order I wanted. What programmes did you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I would use mine a lot, pretty much daily. Tried some of the enigma images when I got the box but never really gave them much of a chance. Didn't like the android version either.

Open now LibreELEC is the killer OS on it for me. Everything I need in one place, use tvheadend for TV and some shows i recorded I'll add to the kodi library.
    I use trakt as well for the library, one streaming addon integrates with that & realdebrid.
    The IPTV site I use for football has a kodi addon too so that's everything i need sorted.

No saorview though, I meant to look for a USB tuner for it but never got round to it.

Haven't noticed mine slowing up. There are issues with it, I'll need to restore from a backup now and again as the file system always corrupts on it.
    Though for the price it was a great purchase.
    The biggest issue with it now I find is that it can't play h.265, and that's becoming more popular

• Advertisement

Yeah, I’m very happy with it. I’ve learned loads. Like you, I settled on Libreelec in the end after trying out a few different OS. I did get a cheap USB tuner but I’ve no ariel and don’t really want one so didn’t really work out. My ideal box would be something powerful enough to run Plex smoothly, stream my footie IPTV stream reliably and play and record live tv. The Wetek can do all that but it struggles when I have everything running on it.

If you were streaming & recording would it hang up?

Times mine will if I was recording two HD channels & trying to do something else.

What programmes did you use?

eSettings+ for connecting to the box. Check out Vdubt25 on You Tube.

E-Channelizer for sorting EPG.

Agree with the h265 comment, that's why I feel the box needs an upgrade but it is soldiering on! And there isn't, as far as I am aware, a box out there that can do as much?

It is like the Swiss army knife of boxes, even two years later!

batistuta9 wrote: »
    If you were streaming & recording would it hang up?

Times mine will if I was recording two HD channels & trying to do something else.

Yeah, little glitches like that. Multitasking isn’t it’s strong point but as Branners says, it’s a media Swiss Army knife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

How do you install the latest kodi on Openelec on this?

How do you install the latest kodi on Openelec on this?

You need to upgrade to LibreELEC. Both Openelec and LibreELEC are Linux versions of Kodi designed for these types of boxes but LibreELEC is more stable and up to date. There's instructions on the LibreELEC website.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

I'm still on LibreELEC 8.0.2 . Looking at the web site I see the latest version LibreELEC 8.2.1 is released but not for the Wetek Play.

Has anyone got Kodi 17.6 for LibreELEC? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

manster wrote: »
    I'm still on LibreELEC 8.0.2 . Looking at the web site I see the latest version LibreELEC 8.2.1 is released but not for the Wetek Play.

Has anyone got Kodi 17.6 for LibreELEC? Cheers

Its there alright,goto the downloads page and about a third of the way down there is a drop down box,just chose wetek play and chose your method of install :)

wiz569 wrote: »
    Its there alright,goto the downloads page and about a third of the way down there is a drop down box,just chose wetek play and chose your method of install :)

Tried it but it is only reinstalling 8.0.2 when you copy over the LibreELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-8.2.1.img.gz file to the updates folder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Tried it but it is only reinstalling 8.0.2 when you copy over the LibreELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-8.2.1.img.gz file to the updates folder

Try putting the tar file in the update folder.

• Advertisement

wiz569 wrote: »
    Try putting the tar file in the update folder.
    That worked! Thank you.
    Now on LibreElec 8.2.1 and Kodi 17.6
    Love Boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

That worked! Thank you.
    Now on LibreElec 8.2.1 and Kodi 17.6
    Love Boards
    any difference

any difference

No notable difference on GUI. Am finding more streams than before with the upgrade. Also Plex runs better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Anyone who has this device. I haven't used it in a while. I want to do two things.

1. Upgrade to the latest kodi/openelec version
    2. Upgrade to the latest kodi build (you can pm suggestions for this if you prefer)
    3. I want to side load andorid in such a way as I can add apps myself without it just booting into openelec by default

Can anyone help?

cronos wrote: »
    Anyone who has this device. I haven't used it in a while. I want to do two things.

1. Upgrade to the latest kodi/openelec version
    2. Upgrade to the latest kodi build (you can pm suggestions for this if you prefer)
    3. I want to side load andorid in such a way as I can add apps myself without it just booting into openelec by default

Can anyone help?

Think most people moved to Libreelec as Openelec wasn't being updated and I'm not sure you can use the latest Kodi on Openelec now.
    I haven't been messing about with mine for months now, but it's working away on Libreelec without any problem, although do I just use it exclusively for watching and recording live TV. It's easy enough to upgrade Openelec to Libreelec. I was running Android and some other build options at one point or another but to be honest, Libreelec works best on this box. You can check it out here. https://libreelec.tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Think most people moved to Libreelec as Openelec wasn't being updated and I'm not sure you can use the latest Kodi on Openelec now.
    I haven't been messing about with mine for months now, but it's working away on Libreelec without any problem, although do I just use it exclusively for watching and recording live TV. It's easy enough to upgrade Openelec to Libreelec. I was running Android and some other build options at one point or another but to be honest, Libreelec works best on this box. You can check it out here. https://libreelec.tv

Thanks. If anyone could PM me on a good "build" to go along with Libreelec this that will give access to all the necessary content I'd appreciate it. Would help me get setup as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I lost my remote control for my wetek. I have problems with constant boot loops. I did have it set for yatze on my phone so sometimes can control it if it does load but without the remote control there's no means to upgrade or install.

Any suggestions such as how to use a universal remote? I don't even know where to get a replacement remote.

Wetek website. Sell both enigma and openelec remotes.

No universal remote will work it I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I lost my remote control for my wetek. I have problems with constant boot loops. I did have it set for yatze on my phone so sometimes can control it if it does load but without the remote control there's no means to upgrade or install.

Any suggestions such as how to use a universal remote? I don't even know where to get a replacement remote.
    I use one of the Chinese wireless handheld keyboards with track pad. Think it cost around €5 and works perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

RossieMan wrote: »
    Wetek website. Sell both enigma and openelec remotes.

No universal remote will work it I'd imagine.

My Logitech does.

I found my remote. But I decided to install librelec from https://libreelec.tv/downloads/wetek-play-and-wetek-openelec/

However every time I try to boot from the image I doesn't get very far.
    Seems to be unable to load the kernel modules correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I found my remote. But I decided to install librelec from https://libreelec.tv/downloads/wetek-play-and-wetek-openelec/

However every time I try to boot from the image I doesn't get very far.
    Seems to be unable to load the kernel modules correctly

Any chance you downloaded the wrong ROM - maybe for the later Wetek box?

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Any chance you downloaded the wrong ROM - maybe for the later Wetek box?

I tried again by copying the tar file using Samba to the update folder and the process was flawless. Happy now with the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Hi.I'm trying to install LibreElec to nand on a Wetek play from the recovery menu but get a installation aborted error every time.
    I get the same result with the rescue file.
    I've formatted the micro sd(4gb) and dragged extracted the files across,pressed the reset button and applied power until the android character appears.Everything seems to go fine until the last minute.
    Any ideas?
    I don't seem to have any OS on the box now.Tried factory reset ,installing from a USB stick.Out of options now.

Hi.I'm trying to install LibreElec to nand on a Wetek play from the recovery menu but get a installation aborted error every time.
    I get the same result with the rescue file.
    I've formatted the micro sd(4gb) and dragged extracted the files across,pressed the reset button and applied power until the android character appears.Everything seems to go fine until the last minute.
    Any ideas?
    I don't seem to have any OS on the box now.Tried factory reset ,installing from a USB stick.Out of options now.

Get zip file here
    https://libreelec.tv/downloads/wetek-play-and-wetek-openelec/

& Use this to write to the SD
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Thanks Batistuta.
    Finally got it working using a better quality sd card through the recovery menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

guys
    what you using on the wetek play 1 or is there any up to date software,
    not used it in a while but have 2 laying about here,
    always used enigma2 but not seen any recent images,
    i think the android side was left behind

cheers

There's nothing from I seen a four of weeks ago. Seems dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lu8Kious

I am wondering on what is the best way to put a linux OS installed on a wetek. Is this possible I would like to install Raspberry software on there. I tried installing on an sdcard but it will not boot up from there. Thanks

Lu8Kious wrote: »
    I am wondering on what is the best way to put a linux OS installed on a wetek. Is this possible I would like to install Raspberry software on there. I tried installing on an sdcard but it will not boot up from there. Thanks

I'm running Libreelec. Going solid for months now. Dicked around with Enigma with mixed results but for a reliable TV box i'd recommend Librelec. Why would you want Linux? What do you think you could do with it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement