Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting together an equestrian Christmas hamper - ideas?

Options
  • 04-12-2015 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭

I drew my new brother-in-law for this year's secret Santa. He got himself a horse this year and is getting really into showjumping. I'd like to put together a small hamper with some stuff he might use in the coming year. I'm thinking maybe some saddle-care stuff, maybe some horse-care products (yeah, I haven't a clue). Just looking for some suggestions. Budget is 50-100e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

what colour is his horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

You could try getting stuff you can never have enough of such as sponges, hoof picks, mane combs, whips. Then to add bulk, salt licks aren't too expensive. Maybe a nice pair of gloves and/or fluffy socks. If you know much yourself about the horse, a nice browband mightn't go astray, or new stirrup leathers. There's lots of small things you can get for your budget! Just take a look around some of the equestrian websites :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

fits wrote: »
    what colour is his horse?

um, "chestnut" i think

sup_dude wrote: »
    You could try getting stuff you can never have enough of such as sponges, hoof picks, mane combs, whips. Then to add bulk, salt licks aren't too expensive. Maybe a nice pair of gloves and/or fluffy socks. If you know much yourself about the horse, a nice browband mightn't go astray, or new stirrup leathers. There's lots of small things you can get for your budget! Just take a look around some of the equestrian websites :)

Browband, stirrup leathers... Good stuff. I don't the first thing about horses or the paraphernalia that goes along with them. This is good stuff - I'll put it on the list. Thanks!

jooksavage wrote: »
    um, "chestnut" i think

Nope, sorry, that's his partners horse. he's a grey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Raised Eyebrow

Personally if I was to receive a horse themed gift, I would prefer to get something that I may not buy for myself rather than bits and pieces that I would pick up as I go along. Something like a nice casual riding top or if he is show jumping competitively a branded competition shirt. If you wanted to bump it up with quantity of stuff add riding socks, horse mug, pens and little bits like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I think making a hamper for your nominated recipient is a great idea!
    By hookorbycrooks suggestions are great - we had a grey!! and sup_dude's
    You could put it all in a rubber feed bowl - or a "show kit box" (like a tool kit)
    You could include a couple of bags of horse treats too :D
    I'd go to someplace like Holmstread/TRI and buy all at once
    Some bandages (tail and leg) some equicrem, some cooling gel, fly repellant ... get a helpful shop assistant to take you around with a basket filling it up with treats to make up a decent hamper within your budget if you dont know much about horses. Theres a TON of 'generic' stuff horseriders need

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DOJ

It all depends on your budget

Personally you can never have enough brushes and neatsfoot oil for showing

Hoof picks are great to have to clean out the hoof and general care of the horse

Maybe a rug if budge stretches and the horse is outdoors a lot the winter but not really part of a hamper

If you could get in touch with his farrier and get him a voucher for a trim or shoe or maybe a visit that highlights the possible problems that are common for hoof care and how to prevent them/what to do for certain problems

You say your brother in law is new to show jumping but is he new to caring for a horse??

I always keep some epson salts and vet flex on standby with turnip and a plastic bag only minutes away for when a horse gets a dose of gravel.

It all depends on his experience with horses and how far he wants to get into showjumping (ie, does he buy a saddle or get a saddle made) and how much your budget stretches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

As an owner of a grey I would love if somebody bought me a years supply of blue shampoo and stain remover!

Another idea which I didnt think of untill I received one and nearly cried because it was such a nice gift is a leather headcollar with an engraved name plate on it. They're such a luxury that owners don't usually buy them themselves as they're not cheap but they are a really lovely thing to get as a gift!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

For grey tails, good ol' Magnum washup liquid is fab for the ends (I personally wouldn't use it on the area around the bone) ETA baby wipes are great for spot stains on greys and for cleaning the rider up too.

Advertisement