Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up of straw bedding

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kelslat

Hi lads, I have just put 30 suckler cows into a shed 50x45 ft. They eat silage on a 55ft slatted tank. I didn't start straw bedding them yet to save on straw and I scrape the shed once or sometimes twice a day. The floor slopes towards the slatted area. I know straw bedding is expensive and time consuming but I spend as much time scraping the concrete area as I would bedding it. The cows look cold on the concrete and I will feel happier bedding them next week. It also means the slatted tank won't fill as quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    AA bulls, 270-280kgs approx.

if they have enough standing room then thats all ya need

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    I have limited slats, used as a feed passage, with straw on concrete floor lie-back. Shed holds a mix of yearlings (last Autumn) and weanlings (this spring) in 2 separate pens. Don't mind bedding them every 2nd day really, but finding this year in particular that the straw is holding moisture more than ever.
    Perhaps it's the mild weather, or the silage (72DMD) or the straw, I don't know.

I have plenty straw, so maybe clean it out entirely monthly is the answer.

Or am I mad to consider cleaning out the shed and letting them lie on the concrete, even if it has to be scraped every couple of days?
    Has anyone else done this?

And before anyone says it, if I had more money, I'd do more slats, but I don't!:)
    Thanks.

I got a Kuhn straw blower this Winter. Best purchase i have made in a long time. It saves a lot of time and energy. Saves around 30% on straw too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I know blowers are expensive and out of the question for some but the good ones can also be used for feeding out silage and hay which leaves them dual purpose. Also if you winter cattle out you can put hay out in lines with very little or no waste. Not like a messy round feeder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Base price

juror wrote: »
    I got a Kuhn straw blower this Winter. Best purchase i have made in a long time. It saves a lot of time and energy. Saves around 30% on straw too
    If I ever win the Lotto/or part of it, there are two implements that I would buy immediately. One is a flail/disc head and the other is a straw chopper.
    I am sick to the teeth of graping ;) straw around sheds & stables and to be honest, at this stage of my life it probably ain't going to happen :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement