Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

bobbyss wrote: »
    Who names these storms? Wasn't there a Hurricane Clodagh recently? But wasn't that American?? Desmond is a storm over Ireland and soon to pass to Scotland I think making it a British Isles storm. Is it an Irish named storm?

Anyone know when this bloody rain is going to ease?

The uk and irish met office started naming the storms. They asked the public to submit names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Lights down outside brown Thomas. Looks like its being worked on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

She's slowed down a lot in the last hour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

She's slowed down a lot in the last hour
    Desmond is a she? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I can see that the brave work of Caitlyn Jenner means nothing to the resident posters on here

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Utter muck out there, made a quick trip to the shopping centre for supplies. Not leaving the house again til it's over, just dashing to and from car was more than enough storm experience for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Bye bye Desmond. Next step Eva. I knew an Eva once and she was fiery so I'm predicting lightning next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Just returned from a walk with the mutt. Seems still quite windy and gusty but the rain seems to have eased just a little? Certainly didn't see it splash off the streets as I saw before.

Was in a store today looking for good waterproofs. Didn't see what I wanted. Where can you get a good pair of wet weather leggings? What brand is good? How much should it cost? I got a mighty pair of boots that are premier league for dryness.

If you need your walks as I do, you gotta be dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

TK Maxx is brilliant for stuff like that if you're ever near one.
    Just returned from a walk with the mutt. Seems still quite windy and gusty but the rain seems to have eased just a little? Certainly didn't see it splash off the streets as I saw before.

Was in a store today looking for good waterproofs. Didn't see what I wanted. Where can you get a good pair of wet weather leggings? What brand is good? How much should it cost? I got a mighty pair of boots that are premier league for dryness.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Heavy rain forecast overnight.

Flooding will be pretty bad tomorrow I'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bit of a break in the rain alright but I think another downpour is due later tonight and through the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    TK Maxx is brilliant for stuff like that if you're ever near one.

Cheers! Will have a gander.

If there is anything in the world worse than storms it is shopping for clothes. Unbelievable small changing rooms. You get all hot and sweaty. You get a headache. You have to take stuff from your pockets in case it all falls out while you change. And there never is a hook to hang up your clothes.

Still.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Golf overtrousers can be very good - light for walking around in but waterproof. Golfstyle in Liosban Industrial Estate should have good gear if you can't find what you want in TK Maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 16,563 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Very bad floods on the way home, one nearly up to the headlights, thought I was going to have to get out and push but made it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

OK, stormy OK, nothing like Debbie 1961.

Chunks of concrete torn out of prom, extensive flooding

If the lady who was on RTE news at 6 today had had to report on Debbie she would have gone really ballistic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Big Ian

Ha ha that was hilarious, you'd swear she was in the middle of hurricane Katrina.

Wind and rain have really picked up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Avoid Rockbarton Road. Some huge branches down from those big oaks at the back of Leisureland, and it looks like there's a lot more hanging by a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Anyone have any idea when it's supposed to be over ?

It's tomorrow promised same again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

nuac wrote: »

If the lady who was on RTE news at 6 today had had to report on Debbie she would have gone really ballistic

There's always one. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Anyone have any idea when it's supposed to be over ?

It's tomorrow promised same again ?

Due to ease in the next few hours, tomorrow promised pretty nice. Calm and dry. Monday rain again apparently

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The Cope sleep out crew were out on Shop Street at 2.30am. I thought it really drove home what homeless people endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭Storm 10

nuac wrote: »

The wind was not the main part of this storm it was the Red warning for the rain so high winds was not the problem although they were stronger than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

If there is anything in the world worse than storms it is shopping for clothes. Unbelievable small changing rooms. You get all hot and sweaty. You get a headache. You have to take stuff from your pockets in case it all falls out while you change. And there never is a hook to hang up your clothes.

In all fairness dude, you're only going in there for a pair of leggings :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

More on the way from 9pm tonight.

Copied from weather guru MT Cranium's post in the Weather Forum.

"ALERT for renewed strong winds and heavy rainfalls valid 9 p.m. Sunday to 6 a.m. Tuesday, peak gusts to 110 km/hr in west, 90 km/hr east. About 20-30 mm rain in west, 10-20 mm east, will maintain or even renew some flooding in western and central counties if it manages to ease during today's dry interval."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i hope all you Galwegians have been behaving yourselfs and not been swimming in the sea...or i'll get Teresa Mannion after you :P

Advertisement