Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longitude 2016 - 15 – 17 JULY 2016

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

lc180 wrote: »
    Jamie XX was a bore fest for me. He would have been far more suited to the Heineken tent.
    agreed, putting him on the main stage didn't really work.
    of the 5 times I've seen him it was definitely the worst. 2nd half was good, but the first half was pretty boring.
    wish he'd stop playing remixes of his tracks and the original songs he sampled others from and just play his own ones straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

of the 5 times I've seen him it was definitely the worst. 2nd half was good, but the first half was pretty boring.
    wish he'd stop playing remixes of his tracks and the original songs he sampled others from and just play his own ones straight.

I thought he was brilliant!! I was down the front giving it large on the screen!!

That's cougars for ya...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Turkey Creek

Never seen so many fit birds in one locality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Great day of music yesterday! Was disappointing to see loads of space in the Heineken tent for Kurt Vile, he made one of last year's best albums so should have packed it more IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Does anyone know why Hard to Find is one of The National's mainstays in their setlists? I think it's their worst song. It's not a bad song, but it's literally the only song of theirs that I don't love. Is it just me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Only went yesterday but have to say I enjoyed it. Considered not going this year after thinking the atmosphere, crowd, etc was awful last year. Either it improved or I just avoided it... Few drunks during the National notwithstanding, the worst I saw was the lads who luckily confined themselves to the Sound Atlas area. Even they weren't causing any trouble, just a bit... boorish.

The National were excellent, though I'd describe it as more of a professional job than what they used to do when they played here. Seemed to be no real connection with the crowd and the setlist was oddly predictable. But, they are always impressive on stage and this was exception to that! Lisa Hannigan was a nice addition though I couldn't hear her over the crowd singing around me.

Jamie xx could have done with a little less mixing and a little more of his own stuff I thought. I also thought he was a strange choice to be outside but then saw the absolutely colossal crowd he drew and it made some bit of sense. Reckon an act like him suffers a little with the early finish for Longitude - at EP he'd probably be on late on a big stage or big tent and get to make the most of lights, etc but at Longitude it was either small stage or big stage during the day so...

Father John Misty was pretty good, though I missed a bit of him because of the jam getting out of Christine and the Queens, and Ham Sandwich were (as always) absolutely excellent. Also missed a bit there because we couldn't get a taxi in...

Aaaaaand, finally, my absolute highlight was Christine and the Queens. Bloody superb. Loved the duet with Perfume Genius, and 'Tilted' was the song of the day for sure. Her joy at the applause seemed so genuine. Huge crowd there for her too which was good to see.

Weather was also fantastic which always helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Does anyone know why Hard to Find is one of The National's mainstays in their setlists? I think it's their worst song. It's not a bad song, but it's literally the only song of theirs that I don't love. Is it just me?

I like it but yeah, it's not their best!

What did you think of Lisa Hannigan's appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I like it but yeah, it's not their best!

What did you think of Lisa Hannigan's appearance?

Well I love her so I was always going to love her coming on with one of my favourite bands. It was a very pleasant surprise.

I thought they might do their cover of Learning by Perfume Genius since he was playing as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I like Hard to Find, but tbh apart from the new songs I wasn't mad about their setlist last night.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I thought he was brilliant!! I was down the front giving it large on the screen!!

Was that you that flashed yer tits when the camera zoomed in on you?! :p

I enjoyed his set too, though I agree it was a shame he was on so early.

Caught a bit of All Tvvins when I landed, was too busy yapping outside on the grass but they seemed good.

Christine and the Queens were much better than I was expecting. I legged it with a few minutes to go in order not to miss the beginning of Fr. John Misty's set. Really enjoyed him, even though it was a bit slow to get going but I was very happy to hear some of the more mellow tunes. He broke character for a split second when he giggled mid-song at the naked crowd-surfer :D

Roisín Murphy's set was an absolute treat. The tunes were pumping, her band sounded fantastic and her costumes were gloriously bonkers, but despite her being (IMO) the coolest Irish woman in existence, she never seemed distant or aloof. She looked to be having an absolute ball and came across as very warm and friendly. She's an artist in every sense of the word.

Thoroughly enjoyed my day yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Was that you that flashed yer tits when the camera zoomed in on you?! :p

Twas me haha!! Someone has to keep up the AC/DC tradition in this awfully polite musical age ☺

Hope I didn't give you nightmares!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Twas me haha!! Someone has to keep up the AC/DC tradition in this awfully polite musical age ☺

Hope I didn't give you nightmares!!

G'wan ya good thing! No nightmares, I salute you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Daisy78

[quote Roisín Murphy's set was an absolute treat. The tunes were pumping, her band sounded fantastic and her costumes were gloriously bonkers, but despite her being (IMO) the coolest Irish woman in existence, she never seemed distant or aloof. She looked to be having an absolute ball and came across as very warm and friendly. She's an artist in every sense of the word.[/quote]

She is a total rock star that lady, an amazing performer with great stage presence. I saw her at the Olympia a few years ago and i still think it was the best gig I've ever been at. She really seemed to enjoy being on stage yesterday and kept the crowd engaged all the way through. Also impressed with Christine and the Queens, hadn't seen her before but really enjoyed her set.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There's obviously some right twats leaving near this http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/living-hell-of-longitude-noise-leaves-residents-reeling-1.2726406

It finished at 11pm ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

MadYaker wrote: »
    There's obviously some right twats leaving near this http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/living-hell-of-longitude-noise-leaves-residents-reeling-1.2726406

It finished at 11pm ffs!
    "three days of complete hell. Even with the doors and windows closed and classical music playing, the noise from the concert was all you could hear"

FFS!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

It finished at 11pm ffs!

Interesting, it says there was 30,000 attendees per day this year. That's a massive jump since year one.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

Interesting, it says there was 30,000 attendees per day this year. That's a massive jump since year one.

Badly written article which goes from citing Longitude to quoting the figures for the normal concerts like Stone Roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

He was great, loved every minute of it. Probably the most balanced set I've seen him do. Nice mix of his own stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

If there was 30,000 there on Sunday I'll eat my hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

It finished at 11pm ffs!

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council said it received 18 complaints in relation to the festival. Four related to noise, three to drinking and three of anti-social behaviour. Of the remaining complaints one related to the “awful line-up”, the council said.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

If the figure is was told as regards tó ticket numbers I would hazard a guess around 20k a day with less on the Sunday.

the 2016 licence was for a maximum of 30,000 each day.
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/licence_-_31_may_2016.pdf

2015 was 21,000 per day.
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/oel_01_15_event_licence.pdf

2014 was 10k per day:
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/oel_01_14_licence.pdf

that includes people working on the site too.

I'd say while they may have applied for a licence of 30,000 this year, there's absolutely no way they sold 50% more tickets this year compared to last year. I'd say the crowd size was pretty much the same tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 buddyf

Any Jamie xx fans happen to know the name of the first track he played?

it was one of the originals he sampled for one of his tracks from what I can remember.

one of these most likely:
    sampled for "I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)", he also played the Skepta remix of ""I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)" too

sampled for "Loud Places"

right, sorry deffo not one of those, maybe it wasn't the first track he played, but was a dance track, sounded very summery with a female voice singing something

i know thats a terrible description :( but it deffo wasnt anything off his album or sampled.

ahh i found it!!!

Kyla - Do you mind

ahh i found it

Kyla - Do you mind, which look oddly to be a remix of the xx.

Advertisement