Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longitude 2016 - 15 – 17 JULY 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MusicLover8498

Personally sweating to see Jamie xx either here or at EP

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Unfortunately won't be able to go this year, but looks very promising.

LONGITUDE%2016.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Who in the love of god is Major Lazer?

Still, the National are always great, and I hear great things about Kendrick Lamar. Some decent acts further down the lineup too, Father John, Chvrches etc

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Who in the love of god is Major Lazer?

Still, the National are always great, and I hear great things about Kendrick Lamar. Some decent acts further down the lineup too, Father John, Chvrches etc

Yea really wanna see The National again and might go see Kendrick too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

For me that is an amazing announcement. Slightly raised eyebrow at Major Lazer headlining Saturday, but I have seen them live before and they do put on a fantastic show. I predict a lot of people being genuinely surprised at how much they enjoy their set, expecting just a lot of 'Lean On's.

Kendrick, National, FJM, Jamie xx are all must sees for me. After that I feel like there's a great range of acts depending on what you're feeling.

Maybe I'm gushing, but I think it's a refreshingly bold lineup choice. Tyler, Ferg, Major Lazer, Father John Misty, Courtney Barnett aren't going to 'move' tickets but are high quality artists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The National!! Yessssssss!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

Mr.S wrote: »
    Kendrick Lamar as a headliner? I realise he's /big/ at the moment but eh?

Chvrches just seem to be on every bill going for the past two years :eek:

Agree with Chrvches but Kendrick makes perfect sense. Some of the best rap albums of the last decade. Arguably one of the best rappers in the world.

Delighted with the line up. Action Bronson, Tyler, Asap Ferg, Father John Misty, Rejjie Snow and Courtney Barnett are the basis for a fantastic full line up. Not to mention The National who are immense live.

Will be buying a ticket the second they are on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

Kendrick Lamar as a headliner? I realise he's /big/ at the moment but eh?

Chvrches just seem to be on every bill going for the past two years :eek:

I'd be slightly wary of how Kendrick can work on a big outdoor festival stage, like most rap acts. But the guy is the most celebrated artist, culturally and critically, of the last 5 years (at least) of the genre that is dominating at the moment.

I know rap and hip-hop can be contentious, but to doubt his headliner status before Major Lazer, as well as after other headliners like Hozier, Ben Howard and Disclosure is foolish.

EDIT: Just to add that I am a fan of all the artists I've mentioned above!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Might have to go to this just for Kendrick Lamar, absolute dying to see him live! Hopefully Chvrches is on the same day since there's not a hope in hell IM getting a weekend ticket, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Meh, not a great line up so far. Roisin Murphy is a must for everyone! Saw her last year at EP, best moment of the weekend for me and going to see her in Feb, so don't think I'll be going to this at all.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying he's not talented, I'm just not sure about the fit to headlining Longitude! Rap / hiphop acts playing festivals are always iffy tbh, WuTang and Outkast at EP where boarderline comical.

Major Lazer, Hozier, Ben Howard and Disclosure all get massive amounts of promo and air play here, so I can understand why they would be top of bills!

If anything, it's a great opportunity for Kendrick Lamar to get much more (and richly deserved) exposure over here. I'm not even a huge fan of rap but after going through his entire catalogue certainly making me a fan.

As far his fit at Longitude, yeah of course he'd be better suited to an indoor show, but this is the first time he's been over here in ages and I'll take any chance I can get to see him, like many others would I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

I'm not saying he's not talented, I'm just not sure about the fit to headlining Longitude! Rap / hiphop acts playing festivals are always iffy tbh, WuTang and Outkast at EP where boarderline comical.

Major Lazer, Hozier, Ben Howard and Disclosure all get massive amounts of promo and air play here, so I can understand why they would be top of bills!

I see where you're coming from but it's unfair to say hip hop acts heading a festival is iffy. Outkast and Wu Tang are unfair examples as they were coming out of retirement. Kendrick is in his absolute hay-day. The demand for his last show here was one of the biggest I have ever seen for any genre of music.

He isn't main stream radio friendly music so that's why he isn't played on the radio but that has no impact on his ability to headline a festival the size of Longitude. He has headlined festivals multiple times the size of it.

'To Pimp A Butterfly' and 'Good Kid Maad City' are up there with the top rap albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Libadour

The Kendrick announcement makes me exceedingly happy :D Saw him in Vegas during the summer and he was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I was really hoping for the National to play EP.

Ah well, I'll go to Longitude on the Sunday and hope the day is filled with some other acts I want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Good to see The National back definitely, and even though I'm not much of a fan of rap anymore getting Lamar is an impressive addition. That cannot be said for Major Lazer headlining though, I'm sure they could have got a much more worthy addition to headline a day than that. Probably won't be getting a full ticket with a headliner like that unless Saturday gets some quality acts added.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

I think ill be getting a Sunday ticket regardless of who else is playing, The National are worth a day out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I think ill be getting a Sunday ticket regardless of who else is playing, The National are worth a day out

Anyone remember day prices from last year? Or have this year's information to hand?

€63.50 or so I seem to remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Anyone remember day prices from last year? Or have this year's information to hand?

€63.50 or so I seem to remember?
    Tickets will go on sale next Friday 29th January at 9am. Weekend tickets will cost €159.50 and day tickets cost €64.50, all ticket prices are inclusive of booking fee. Three customers can get their hands on Longitude tickets before anyone else, presale tickets go on sale at www.three.ie/plus 48 hours before general release. Tickets will be available from Ticketmaster outlets nationwide and online at www.ticketmaster.ie.

that's this year, I think it was the same price last year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

martyos121 wrote: »
    Might have to go to this just for Kendrick Lamar, absolute dying to see him live! Hopefully Chvrches is on the same day since there's not a hope in hell IM getting a weekend ticket, but I doubt it.

According to bandsintown Chvrches are down for friday , but since they are playing Germany on the Sunday id say it will be the friday.

Agreed on Major Lazer headlining but i suppose they are played a lot on the radio and maybe they were not too expensive to book :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Line up isn't exactly to my liking, only ones I would have a real interest in seeing so far would be Chrvches, Roisin Murphy & Jamie XX. I think it will be popular overall though, Kendrick Lamar was a good booking and I'd almost guarantee the Friday will sell out first. The National are another good headliner who will attract a more mature crowd I would imagine, which is important for Longitude as I don't think it wants to turn into a free for all for teenagers. Surprised by Major Lazer headlining, didn't think they would have a massive fan base here and would have almost thought someone like Jamie XX would have been better as a headliner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Loving this announcement. Not overly keen on longy as a festival and gave it a swerve last year.
    Now the decision is go on Friday for kendrick or get a weekend ticket.
    How close to the festival was the day ny day break down released? Wanna make a decision on what ticket to go for cos really don't fancy the commute over 3 days but wanna see father John Misty as well and Jamie xx.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Mince Pie wrote:
    How close to the festival was the day by day break down released?

A quick bit of research suggests mid to late March is when they break it down by days. Saw a post on their Instagram page from 43 weeks ago about the day-by-day breakdown. So that's a gauge.

So ****ing excited for this year. I was delighted with last years line up but this is absolutely cracking. I'd be raging if Chvrches clashed with Ferg, Tyler or Kendrick Lamar.

Admittedly I don't know much about how festivals choose their day by day line ups, but would they go for the hip hop acts on Friday, more electronic on Saturday, and rock/indie on the Sunday? That'd sell more day tickets I imagine. Whether or not that's what they want, I don't know...

Also wondering what people's thoughts are on tickets. Talking to a few people in work and some say they'll be gone quick and some saying the opposite. I'd be looking for a weekend ticket but regardless I'll be up on Friday to get a ticket online first chance I get

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Never got any of the love for Chvrches, at least not now. 'The Bones of What You Believe' was a pretty decent album even though I wouldn't have said I was a fan per se, but 'Every Open Eye' was a poor follow up. They lost a lot of the sort of.....uniqueness? that the first album gave them and wandered a lot closer to the crowd of bands that critics said they weren't like after the first album. Far too many safe songs on the second album too.

They'll probably get a decent crowd though certainly so hopefully there's someone on at the same time as them that's decent :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Meh, not a great line up so far. Roisin Murphy is a must for everyone! Saw her last year at EP, best moment of the weekend for me and going to see her in Feb, so don't think I'll be going to this at all.

Kind of in a same position. I will see Roisin at the Olympia next month, but if I can get her, Chvrches and MO on the same day, I would consider a day ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Delighted with The National headlining. Definitely gonna get a day ticket for Sunday.

Wasn't familiar with Major Lazer so looked them up. This has to be the worst f**king song I have ever heard! I'm going to avoid Saturday like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Not 100% about this but I think they don't do Friday tickets. Weekend, Saturday or Sunday only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

BOHtox wrote: »
    Not 100% about this but I think they don't do Friday tickets. Weekend, Saturday or Sunday only

Nope, you can buy day tickets for each day if thats your choice.

BOHtox wrote: »

Come to think of it, I didn't see any day tickets available for Friday last year. So they either sold out quickly or you're right about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I bought a day ticket for just the Friday last year. Not sure if they sold out or not but I think there was still tickets available on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Surprised to see The National back in business with MCD again after teh Oxegen episode a few years ago. They had been working with Aiken since then....

Advertisement