Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longitude 2016 - 15 – 17 JULY 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

they did it with Fatboy Slim.
    and Forbidden Fruit had several DJ sets on the main stage last year, and probably again this year too.

i wouldn't be that surprised if he was on the main stage, he's bigger than any of the other potential sub-headliners, and bigger than any of the acts that headlined the tent last year.
    I doubt it. He was bigger than anyone on the main stage of Forbidden Fruit last year barring headliners, and he headlined a tent. And Forbidden Fruit doesn't really work as a direct equivalent to Longitude, especially not last year where it was almost entirely DJs and rappers, there weren't anywhere near enough live bands to fill the main stage. Longitude leans more towards live bands than DJs.
    If curfew is before 11, Jamie would need to be done before 9 to allow the National time to set up. Can't see it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Usually the way it works is the biggest dance act of the day headlines the Heineken Tent (e.g. Hudson Mohawke last year) unless the dance act is a headliner, in that case the 2nd biggest dance act headlines the Heineken tent (e.g. Kaytranada last year).

I suspect the main stage will be headlined by The National and subbed by Fr John Misty (or maybe Roisin Murphy?).

The Heineken Tent headlined by Jamie XX and subbed by Vic Mensa.

They don't normally (in fact I don't believe they ever have?) put dance acts that aren't headliners on the main stage.

Granted they could change it up this year, but Jamie XX has a pretty decent lightshow that he wouldn't be able to use if he took to the main stage at 7.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dundalkian

Well lads, just wondering if anyone knows if there is a shuttle bus from Marlay park back to the city centre? first year attending, cant wait !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Dundalkian wrote: »
    Well lads, just wondering if anyone knows if there is a shuttle bus from Marlay park back to the city centre? first year attending, cant wait !

http://bushiredublin.net/bus_service/concerts-events/longitude-festival-marlay-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

What's parking like? Could be up there late around 5 or 6?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Thinking about attending Longitude this year. Havent been to a festival in a while! Usually traveled over Glastonbury yearly but gave it a miss the last few years. Was at Oxegen years ago and atmosphere was kinda crap. Longitude seems to be decent though based on what I've read. Is it better to try and stay in a hotel nearby or just pick a hotel based off the shuttle bus drop offs? Would imagine taking the car would be a nightmare..

chris_ie wrote: »
    Thinking about attending Longitude this year. Havent been to a festival in a while! Usually traveled over Glastonbury yearly but gave it a miss the last few years. Was at Oxegen years ago and atmosphere was kinda crap. Longitude seems to be decent though based on what I've read. Is it better to try and stay in a hotel nearby or just pick a hotel based off the shuttle bus drop offs? Would imagine taking the car would be a nightmare..

Me and a few of the people im heading with booked a hostel, hotel prices were absolutely ridiculous, hostel was 35pp (can get cheaper but we made sure to get a decent one with our own room)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Full of kids

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

bigpink wrote: »
    Full of kids

Genuinely, the average age there is probably 18 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

chris_ie wrote: »

I was at the Saturday of Longitude last year and found it verrry similar to Oxegen in past years. Lots of teenagers, lots of drinking and "banter"...

I think it was probably worse on the Saturday because Alt-J, Caribou, Jungle and Glass Animals were the main stage acts. On the other days it was Hozier and the Chemical Brothers. Such a varied line up attracted a really mixed crowd who probably had total interest in one day and absolutely none in the next - I can't necessarily blame them either!

But what I found is that when I was trying to watch Alt-J or Jungle, the Hozier-heads were bored and making a hassle of themselves in parts of the site. It was a minority for sure - and I would stress hassle not trouble (no violence for e.g, but an awful lot of pushing and drinking and verrry loud, uninterested crowd) but it made me think twice about going this year.

The recent two day ticket announcement probably came too late to filter the crowd too but I won't be surprised if the Sunday (indie heavy) is a bit the same this year after the hip-hop/pop focus of the previous two days. Some people will have bought weekend tickets and may find themselves bored on the Sunday waiting for Jamie xx, for e.g, when Father John Misty or Perfume Genius are doing their acoustic thing.

I realise all of the above makes me sound like such a grumpy old man btw, but you wanted opinions!!

I have no issue with people doing whatever they want at gigs/festivals once it doesn't prevent me from hearing/enjoying and I genuinely struggled to hear Alt-J, Caribou and Jungle with the noise from parts of the crowd who were more interested in drinking and chatting than the music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

Anyone know if Marlay Park is always set up with that "open pit" design that they had for Avicii last year? It made the gig a total nightmare with people walking in and out CONSTANTLY..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

What's the best day for people into their dj tents and techno? Last year I went with Saturday going off suggestions on here and I was delighted! Open to suggestions, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I was at the Saturday of Longitude last year and found it verrry similar to Oxegen in past years. Lots of teenagers, lots of drinking and "banter"...

I think it was probably worse on the Saturday because Alt-J, Caribou, Jungle and Glass Animals were the main stage acts. On the other days it was Hozier and the Chemical Brothers. Such a varied line up attracted a really mixed crowd who probably had total interest in one day and absolutely none in the next - I can't necessarily blame them either!

But what I found is that when I was trying to watch Alt-J or Jungle, the Hozier-heads were bored and making a hassle of themselves in parts of the site. It was a minority for sure - and I would stress hassle not trouble (no violence for e.g, but an awful lot of pushing and drinking and verrry loud, uninterested crowd) but it made me think twice about going this year.

The recent two day ticket announcement probably came too late to filter the crowd too but I won't be surprised if the Sunday (indie heavy) is a bit the same this year after the hip-hop/pop focus of the previous two days. Some people will have bought weekend tickets and may find themselves bored on the Sunday waiting for Jamie xx, for e.g, when Father John Misty or Perfume Genius are doing their acoustic thing.

I realise all of the above makes me sound like such a grumpy old man btw, but you wanted opinions!!

I have no issue with people doing whatever they want at gigs/festivals once it doesn't prevent me from hearing/enjoying and I genuinely struggled to hear Alt-J, Caribou and Jungle with the noise from parts of the crowd who were more interested in drinking and chatting than the music.

Yeah I've kinda gone off the idea now!! Been looking at Benicassim as well but reviews are a mixed bag. Latitude is another option. Have time off around those. Should just get prepared and go to Glastonbury next year again :)

CWF wrote: »
    What's the best day for people into their dj tents and techno? Last year I went with Saturday going off suggestions on here and I was delighted! Open to suggestions, thanks!
    Jamie xx is the gold standard for DJ sets but he's more or the less the only decent one on Sunday. You've a few bit names on Saturday, Major Lazer will presumably be highly electronic but with some live performances included, Diplo more than likely will be DJing beforehand. Annie Mac is always good fun at festivals. The 2 bears also have a good rep for live performances.

Would have to be the friday for Nina Kraviz.... unbelievable producer and dj and will be in a resonably small tent i assume with the majority of people there for Kendrick Lamar, Adultrock are also very very good (playing on friday) and im sure there is another one i missed... DJ deece is brilliant on the saturday.. gonna be an unreal 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johncaff

I've never been to a festival before, but I just saw they don't allow drink to be brought in. Can anyone tell me what to expect for the price of drink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

johncaff wrote: »
    I've never been to a festival before, but I just saw they don't allow drink to be brought in. Can anyone tell me what to expect for the price of drink?

I think it was €6 or €6.50 for a pint of Heineken last year. 50c more for Tiger, about the same for wine. I''m not sure if there are any other options tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

Dundalkian wrote: »
    Would have to be the friday for Nina Kraviz.... unbelievable producer and dj and will be in a resonably small tent i assume with the majority of people there for Kendrick Lamar, Adultrock are also very very good (playing on friday) and im sure there is another one i missed... DJ deece is brilliant on the saturday.. gonna be an unreal 2 days
    Yeah I love Deece saw him lately in D8. Love Nina K too she'll likely headline Heineken Tent. Checking up Adultrock, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

johncaff wrote: »

They have a bacardi tent usually that does nice cocktails, not cheap though!
    There was a a place in the red bull area selling vodka and red bull too last year, I can't remember the price but again, not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

who do people think will be the Heineken Stage headliner on Friday? are Chvrches too big with Kendrick on at the same time?
    would they have Tyler on at the same time as Kendrick?

• Advertisement

Hoping the Lumineers will headline the second stage with Tyler and Kendrick back to back. would be terrible organising putting them on the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

When do the set times usually get released?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    When do the set times usually get released?

Only a few days beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

how easy is it to sneak alcohol in?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LightsStillOn

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Hoping the Lumineers will headline the second stage with Tyler and Kendrick back to back. would be terrible organising putting them on the same time.

Action Bronson into Tyler into Kendrick.

That would be the perfect run of three acts, but I'm not holding my breath that we'll get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

koolis02 wrote: »

Depends. I've been there one day with a hip flask and I was caught with a metal detector. Literally the next day I was waved through.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

koolis02 wrote: »

As ^Mark said, it depends on who it is really some are absolute nazis!
    Two years ago my friend got caught with a mini bottle in her bra, your one had a right feel!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

mimimcmc wrote: »
    As ^Mark said, it depends on who it is really some are absolute nazis!
    Two years ago my friend got caught with a mini bottle in her bra, your one had a right feel!

Really dont fancy paying 6 euro for a pint :confused: cant believe she found it in her bra, thats what i was planning on now i'm scared hahaha

Got a hip flask in all 3 days last year, wore a big buckled belt and stuffed the flask behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

Action Bronson into Tyler into Kendrick.

That would be the perfect run of three acts, but I'm not holding my breath that we'll get it!

I'd be guessing we'll get fairly similar to:

Friday Main: Kendrick, Chvrches, Lumineers, Daughter, Laura Mvula/Kelela
    Friday Heineken: Tyler, Action, Nina Kraviz, Ryan Hemsworth
    Whelans: Kelela/Mvula, Section Boyz

Saturday Main: Major Lazer, Run The Jewels, Coronas, MO, Saint Sister
    Saturday Heineken: Annie Mac, Diplo, Asap Ferg, Stormzy, The 2 Bears,
    Whelans: Pleasure Beach, Rejjie Snow

Sunday Main: National, Father John Misty, Roisin Murphy, Kurt Vile, Courtney Barnett, All Tvvins
    Sunday Heineken: Jamie XX, Vic Mensa, Christine and The Queens, Perfume Genius

Won't take a guess at times, but I'd guess those stages will be right. Jamie xx and National clashing may be a bit of a leap, but otherwise the heineken stage looks like it'd be very light for the day. Would be a better fit act-wise, but putting a very popular act like Jamie xx on the main stage could prove too tempting

Advertisement