Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Super League and National League 2016 thread

Options
  • 04-12-2015 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭

Only a couple of months before the "summer" game restarts this side of the world, usual suspects fighting it out at the top of the league, this is the year the Broncos get back into top flight Rugby League (or possibly not).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

I did read an article taht listed an 'alternative' table of last season, ranking the strength of clubs by the number of twitter followers. Leeds/Wigan at the top but the Broncos beat out Catalan 14,000>13,000 so if that's anything to go by, which it surely is, The Broncos are back!

The thing I want to keep an eye on is the Four Nations later in the year with Scotland in it and seeing what kind of impact them having three big ties has. They had reasonable crowds when the couple of Magic Weekends were held up the there, so perhaps a couple of good Danny Brough performances can inspire a new generation of 'Bravehearts'

*Or they'll get really hammered in all games, still though, interesting to see how the players come along through the league season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Anyone see Mitch Garbutt dish out a bit of old school justice to James Tamou! Ha ha. Only thing the Super League clubs had to cheer over the weekend.

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

Just watched the Catalan Dragons v Leeds Rhinos game. It was an absorbing game throughout, pretty severe weather conditions at the end made for an action packed finish. Both sides with some outstanding attacking but very little defence.

The Dragons are a who's who of ex-NRL players, big Dave Taylor and Willie Mason in the same team should be interesting to watch this season. They have the quality of Carney, Richards and Stewart. I'd be surprised with that line up if they aren't pushing for the Grand Final, despite the slow start.

Leeds have had an awful start to the year but I'd imagine the will have no problem making the top 8. I was very impressed with Kallum Watkins, the guy is a real footy player, enjoyed watching him.

Finally have digital tv, so will be keeping up with the Super League this year, in for a good season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Over Easter I caught the game between Hull FC and Hull KR where Hull FC came back to win and really enjoyed it. I am still learning about the sport but I'm getting into it.

Catalan Dragons had a great result at St Helens. I wonder can they go all the way this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Massive game for Leeds on TV now, have to start winning very soon if they want to feature in top 8. Even enough so far. Not bad handling so far considering how wet it is.

Yeah those conditions were awful. I thought Hull were going to sneak it at the end. I liked the last second dash for the line.

Fantastic game tonight, Saints and Leeds not bothering with defence. 38 34 to Saints with 5 left.

Edit: that's how it finished.

Well that was some second half from Castleford, 14 nil down, they come back to thump Warrington. Luke Dorn still has it, one of my all time favourite Super League players.

They've a good venue for the magic weekend, keeping the very top tier empty, packing the rest of the stands, excellent.

Hoping for a rare Rhinos win this season now.

Leeds are dreadful. Trying way too hard to keep the ball alive on 2nd and 3rd tackles, mad stuff.

• Advertisement

Pat Richards had a stinker for Catalans today, missed simple 2 points along with a lot of other kicks, some easier than others. Really telling in the end when Wakefield won it with a drop goal. Good game anyway.

Tragic news from Huddersfield about a young lad injured in a u19 game against Salford.

Can only hope for the young lad.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/huddersfield-giants-ronan-costello-injured-11462253

He's passed away which is truly awful. RIP.

I was very saddened to read about that. Only 17 I believe and a bright future ahead of him. RIP.

Wigan Warriors have won the Super League Grand Final beating Warrington Wolves 12-6.

Advertisement