Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan for less than €300 rtn!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭micar

Was in Japan 10 years ago....for 6 weeks visiting my sister who was doing the jet program.
    Had 2 three week rail passes.

My sister lived in iwaki. Did plenty of travelling from Tokyo, Osaka, kyoto. Hiroshima nagasaki back to iwaki and plenty of other places in between and further north.

The rail passes definitely saved me a fortune.

Also climbed Mt fuji and visited Aso San volcano.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Again sorry for bumping thread, but the Japan forum is pretty slow to respond. Anyone pick up one of the portable wifi devices, and recommend a company to go with? Looking to pick one up when I arrive in Tokyo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

mrcheez wrote: »
    Again sorry for bumping thread, but the Japan forum is pretty slow to respond. Anyone pick up one of the portable wifi devices, and recommend a company to go with? Looking to pick one up when I arrive in Tokyo.

Go for Global Advanced Communications. Very handy, competitive prices and absolutely zero problems using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

You could just buy a sim with data, obv go for portable wifi if you can't tether and are in a group who needs it. Bout €20 for 2 week unlimited data 14 day sim

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

I just came back from my 2 weeks trip and I had pre purchased http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00LL3QBI0/ref=pe_492632_225659412_TE_item 2GB for ¥3000 delivered to my first Airbnb address in Tokyo so the SIM was waiting for me in the house. It worked flawlessly all throughout in the many parts of the country my wife and I visited (Tokyo, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Iya Valley) although that being said Wi-Fi is quite widespread.

• Advertisement

All good options thanks, though I decided just to go with Global Advanced Comms approach just to save any hassle as it will all be waiting for me at the hotel.

I want to connect about 5 different devices wirelessly to the wifi, so not sure if the Android tether approach would work for that? Maybe can look into it for a different trip.

Also the main priority for me was the battery life. The phone batt would die pretty quickly acting as a tether, so good to have a dedicated device I can leave on for 6 hours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

jive wrote: »
    Bout €20 for 2 week unlimited data 14 day sim

What's the name of this? I couldn't find any unlimited data options for that cheap.

All good options thanks, though I decided just to go with Global Advanced Comms approach just to save any hassle as it will all be waiting for me at the hotel.

I want to connect about 5 different devices wirelessly to the wifi, so not sure if the Android tether approach would work for that? Maybe can look into it for a different trip.

Also the main priority for me was the battery life. The phone batt would die pretty quickly acting as a tether, so good to have a dedicated device I can leave on for 6 hours etc.

The So Net SIM I bought allowed tethering no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Tristram wrote: »
    What's the name of this? I couldn't find any unlimited data options for that cheap.

http://www.biccamera.com/bc/disp/CSfGoodsPage_001.jsp?GOODS_NO=3306200

Slightly less than €19 incl. tax, you can just buy instore and put it into your phone. There's english instructions that come with it to activate the sim, very straight forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I wish I was back there now, ended up in Chiba one night and we had the best craic ever with the locals who kept on asking why the hell we were in Chiba...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

jive wrote: »
    http://www.biccamera.com/bc/disp/CSfGoodsPage_001.jsp?GOODS_NO=3306200

Slightly less than €19 incl. tax, you can just buy instore and put it into your phone. There's english instructions that come with it to activate the sim, very straight forward

Thanks a million for this! I'll give it a whirl next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I am just back from Tokyo and used Global Advanced. The internet was fine, no problems. My charger didn't work but I used my phone charger (samsung) and that was fine.

I only ever had 1 device attached at the one time so I am not sure how 5 will work. My pocket wifi definitely had more than 6 hours on it for one device. I think the hour times are based on maximum connections.

For anyone that misses the Japanese toilets... there seem to be a fair few for sale on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=japanese+toilet ;)

It's just the lid that you put on a standard bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lc180

For anyone that misses the Japanese toilets... there seem to be a fair few for sale on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=japanese+toilet ;)

It's just the lid that you put on a standard bowl.

Ah Japanese toilets!! I let out the biggest girlie giggle out of me the first time I used one when arriving in Tokyo I'm pretty sure the other fellas in the airport jacks thought I was a little bit crazy.

lc180 wrote: »
    Ah Japanese toilets!! I let out the biggest girlie giggle out of me the first time I used one when arriving in Tokyo I'm pretty sure the other fellas in the airport jacks thought I was a little bit crazy.

Tut tut ... should have used the "Flushing sound" button so as not to disturb your neighbours.

Also was rather pissed they didn't have wasabi Kit Kat... only Matcha Kit Kat... grr!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

I remember when I arrived in my hotel and after hearing about them from my brother I was a bit curious how they work before I sit in them. After figuring out the on button I switched it on and kneeling next to the toilet bowl and I was mesmerized when the sprayer came out thinking "I hope that doesn't go close too my bum hole" and then the sprayer fired across the toilet onto the floor and there I was panicking and pressing all the buttons trying to find the off button. Ah the memories :o

The ones with the heated toilet seats nice but at the same time feels like sitting on the toilet straight after someone else using it.

Tut tut ... should have used the "Flushing sound" button so as not to disturb your neighbours.

Also was rather pissed they didn't have wasabi Kit Kat... only Matcha Kit Kat... grr!

Yes matcha kit kat was all around in 7/11 or other convenient store but I was surprised to find many more flavours at the airport (such as strawberry, sakura).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement