Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Kilbride

Options
  • 04-12-2015 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Looking for some local knowledge, I could potentially be moving to Kilbride area and just wondering what is the broadband in the area like?

I have looked at compare website and it lists a couple of providers with up to 100MB but I like the "up to" part which means it could be anything

I don't see Kilbride listed on Siro website and Eir don't mention Kilbride for there fibre broadband....

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Parts of Kilbride are the black hole to beat all black holes, as it's on the edge of a number of exchange areas, despite being almost on top of the fibre ring around Dublin.

In brutal honesty, right now, the best broadband will probably be either Wimax from Imagine, or Ripplecom, I have a friend (customer) on the latter who gets about 8Mb down reliably, but he's lucky to even run a fax on his landline, and some of that is due to Eir pair sharing as they are desperately short of line capacity out from the exchange, most of the lines come out from Ratoath, and some of them are in pretty dire condition, even since the major works to sort out missing joint covers and the like that was done recently, for at least 2 years now, every time my friend reported bad line issues, the engineer would call him, and the likely comment was "I'll check the joint by Glascairn first, it's probably full of water again".

A while back he asked about landline broadband, and was told it wasn't available in his area, due to the lack of free pairs, he has 2 lines, but they're on pair sharing, and that rules out broadband of any flavour, they're effectively a form of ISDN, and the two systems are mutually exclusive.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Parts of Kilbride are the black hole to beat all black holes, as it's on the edge of a number of exchange areas, despite being almost on top of the fibre ring around Dublin.

In brutal honesty, right now, the best broadband will probably be either Wimax from Imagine, or Ripplecom, I have a friend (customer) on the latter who gets about 8Mb down reliably, but he's lucky to even run a fax on his landline, and some of that is due to Eir pair sharing as they are desperately short of line capacity out from the exchange, most of the lines come out from Ratoath, and some of them are in pretty dire condition, even since the major works to sort out missing joint covers and the like that was done recently, for at least 2 years now, every time my friend reported bad line issues, the engineer would call him, and the likely comment was "I'll check the joint by Glascairn first, it's probably full of water again".

A while back he asked about landline broadband, and was told it wasn't available in his area, due to the lack of free pairs, he has 2 lines, but they're on pair sharing, and that rules out broadband of any flavour, they're effectively a form of ISDN, and the two systems are mutually exclusive.

Thanks, doesn't sound great...

I was thinking from looking at the maps it looked to be a bit of the forgot part.

I guess I will have a bit of a drop off from the 120MB connection I have at the moment :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Thanks, doesn't sound great...

I was thinking from looking at the maps it looked to be a bit of the forgot part.

I guess I will have a bit of a drop off from the 120MB connection I have at the moment :p

depends on what you're using it for, to be fair, the wireless system from Ripplecom is not bad, but it won't set the world on fire if you're used to downloading big content.

Microsoft patches at 3Gb are not fun, and I know my son brings the PS4 up here when there are big downloads to be done, as we've got Fibre in Ashbourne, but we only moved to Fibre this year having been on Wimax wireless broadband for a number of years, with no problems, for a long time, it was the fastest broadband available here.

Now UPC are (at last) re cabling this end of Ashbourne, and wll be able to offer 240 Mb broadband soon. I may well look at that when it's up and running, but that doesn't solve your Kilbride problems.

It demonstrates very graphically just how patchy broadband coverage is, even close to Dublin, and I can't see it changing any time soon, unless someone builds a new exchange in the Kilbride area.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

depends on what you're using it for, to be fair, the wireless system from Ripplecom is not bad, but it won't set the world on fire if you're used to downloading big content.

Microsoft patches at 3Gb are not fun, and I know my son brings the PS4 up here when there are big downloads to be done, as we've got Fibre in Ashbourne, but we only moved to Fibre this year having been on Wimax wireless broadband for a number of years, with no problems, for a long time, it was the fastest broadband available here.

Now UPC are (at last) re cabling this end of Ashbourne, and wll be able to offer 240 Mb broadband soon. I may well look at that when it's up and running, but that doesn't solve your Kilbride problems.

It demonstrates very graphically just how patchy broadband coverage is, even close to Dublin, and I can't see it changing any time soon, unless someone builds a new exchange in the Kilbride area.

Online streaming I use for mostly, Netflix etc. I just checked and actually have a 240MB connection at the moment:P

I must have a look and see if Wimax or anything is available.

I know standard Eircom crappy lines wont stream nothing, as bad as the old 56k connection.

Advertisement