Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of increasing the family

• 04-12-2015 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking over and over about getting another dog, specifically a rescue but I want to make sure it's the right decision for everyone, including my own and any future dog.

- my dog, a JRT is a rescue and is 6. She generally gets on very well with small dogs, and has often gone on "play dates" with other small dogs.

- we are lucky that she is with my parents during the day and with us evenings and weekends.

- my parents go away sometimes for long periods and we rely on our saint of a neighbour to take our dog out for her afternoon walk with her own dog. Instinctively I think it may not be right to rescue a dog into a home where there is not always a guarantee of someone there every hour of the day, but I am wondering if there are two dogs, would they be company for each other? During these times, my dog still gets morning and evening walks and most of the weekend with us.

- I also don't want my dog (who is the light of my life) to ever be shunted to second place or feel like she has to compete for my attention and affection, but I think she would like a companion dog, and there are so many dogs that need homes. There was one up on FB earlier whose time was apparently up, and I found myself willing to travel to another county to take him in, just so that he wouldn't be PTS :(

- I also need to factor in the cost as I already have 8 cats, and oversee the welfare of a neighbours dog

- I know that it would never want for love, happiness and veterinary care.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I think it is a great idea. I have 4 terriers - 3 bitches & 1 dog. They all get on great & are great company for each other. I find that when I have them out walking that they get lots of exercise playing together.

Just be careful taking on an adult dog especially a terrier when you have cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If you have 8 cats, and 1 dog, and want another dog, you obviously have enough love to go around! Your little dog, if shes sociable will love to have a friend. How can she be lacking in attention when you love her to bits. If you get another dog, you will still love her and the other dog, and your JRT will have a friend to hang out with and be nosy with.
    I think having two dogs is GREAT! They get to keep each other company, and they have great fun on walks vieing with each other for smells and poos and wees!
    As long as your dog(s) dont suffer from seperation anxiety, they sleep when you are not home.
    Will your lovely neighbour be able to take two if you get get another dog, on afternoon walks when you are away. (And how lucky are you with that lovely neighbour!)
    Will your parents be happy to have two dogs when you are out at work? (again how lucky are you)

If a dog is not stressed or as I say suffering from separation anxiety, then I dont think you have anything to loose: (1) you make sure its a dog that wont bother your cats (2) you rescue a dog (3) your current dog has company (4) you get a 2nd dog - all sounds like win/win to me! GOOD LUCK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Will both dogs go to your parents and go for walks with the neighbour when your parents are away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭3dogs

OldNotWIse wrote: »

- I also don't want my dog (who is the light of my life) to ever be shunted to second place or feel like she has to compete for my attention and affection,

?

I adore each of my dogs differently. My eldest is my agility dog, we have traveled so much together and have a huge bond because of the partnership you have to have to compete in agilty
    my middle dog is my only boy, he is my special little man.
    My youngest is just nuts, she is a collie cross and lives life at 3000mph she makes me laugh every day

I have a different bond with all of my dogs, i have never loved any dogs the same, they each get their own piece of my heart :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

As always why don't you try fostering with a view to adopt first and see how you get on. Provide you go to a reputable rescue they will take the dog back in the event an adoption doesn't work out. I would suggest that you don't adopt from the pound direct even if it will be pts if no one comes forward. What you would you do with such a dog if it didn't work out you would have only bring stress and guilt on yourself.

You sound like you have a lovely home on offer to a lucky dog. Just take you time selecting the dog and go from there. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Hi guys thanks for all the helpful posts! I know that the neighbor would have no problem with it. She's half-baked when it comes to animals too and has her own menagerie of dogs and cats. All shapes and sizes. I'll have to talk to my parents but I think two are not going to be much more work than one. I really think she would benefit from the extra company too, and she does love walking with other dogs. We usually walk her with the neighbours dog but she had cruciate repair surgery 7 weeks ago so she is walking alone until week 13 to avoid "rough-housing" and chasing, and I can see how bored she is! :P

Very good point about an older terrier and the cats - not something I had thought of tbh!

Never a dull or quiet moment but I wouldn't be without any of them.

I'm not sure about fostering - I'm the worst foster parent ever and find it difficult to give them back. One of my boys (he's 8 now) was a foster. We took six kittens and their mum who was too sick to feed them so they were on formula and we really bonded with then. This little guy had the biggest eyes I'd ever seen and he used to gaze up adoringly at me when I was feeding him. In the end, we had to give them back after 6 weeks (as was always the agreement) but I missed him so much that I went back to the shelter the following week and re-homed him. I remember taking the bus home with him inside my coat, his little face sticking out, knowing I was the weakest foster parent ever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭purplesnack

If you think there is room in your life for another dog OP, I would say go for it!

I have always had at least two dogs as I think they are great company for each other when I'm not around. I increased my family to three last January and I got a rescue (a GSD X called Penny) from the local sanctuary. One of my older dogs, Smokey, had got very bad arthritis, was slow on her feet and wasn't great company for my other dog Bandit (a very lively border collie!). I had all the same concerns as you, but to be honest it was the best decision all round. Penny has given Bandit a new lease of life and she had rediscovered her inner puppy!

Unfortunately, my beautiful Smokey was taken from me last week with very aggressive cancer, and while I am absolutely heartbroken after her, I am glad that I have the other two and that they have each other.

Advertisement