Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

for a complete novice, what to start with ?

• 04-12-2015 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi, I have been toying with an idea, budget willing, to buy a small boat, i would like to go fishing, plodding around in it, no major open sea voyaging ...so what do people start with? i will be down in the south west in the bays and would go out on calm days, i know the weather may turn, but you get my drift! . my OH is not that keen but I love the water. preferably it wouldn't be too heavy so it is relatively easy to get it in and out of the water....nothing fancy needed either. :) any tips would be welcome and a general idea on how much i would need to spend....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

How about a little cuddy cabin boat that way if the OH goes out with you at least she can stay dry :) Try to spend as much as you can on the engine the newer the better and from about 15 hp up for coastal water.

49464771.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cambasque

she looks good, any idea what size of a car would you need to get her in and out of the water ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

cambasque wrote: »
    she looks good, any idea what size of a car would you need to get her in and out of the water ?

Once the boat and trailer are under 750kg you can tow them with any car on a standard driving licence.

u can see what a novice i am, no idea there was even any regulations !

u can see what a novice i am, no idea there was even any regulations !

No problem ask all the questions you can think of we have all been there :)

Once you go over 750kg you need a braked trailer and an EB licence then you have to check the towing capacity of the car to see if it is capable of pulling it.

I think the boat in the photo is an orkney 440 and that would be about 460kg without the trailer.

• Advertisement

thanks fergal, any idea on what the going price for something like the orkney is ? also to get it in and out of the water, could i use a pulley to get it back on the trailer ?

That one is €2,500 but you can find them a lot cheeper have a look on done deal and adverts.ie and see if there is anything you fancy.
    That would be easy to winch on to the trailer.

thanks fergal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You've got me thinking about buying now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Alkers

Where are you located? Have you tried renting at all? You should take the oh out for a day first and see how you get on before you commit to buying. Have you somewhere to keep it?

• Advertisement

go for it thargor !
    simona i was going to keep it in the garden as i presume i have to pay at a pier ? do you have to pay at the pier out in the middle ofnowhere as well ? good idea to rent, i am down in the south west, close to the mizen pennisula ....

go for it thargor !
    simona i was going to keep it in the garden as i presume i have to pay at a pier ? do you have to pay at the pier out in the middle ofnowhere as well ? good idea to rent, i am down in the south west, close to the mizen pennisula ....

You don't have to pay at a pier for your boat anyway the car you might :)
    If you can bring the boat home do, it will be a lot safer and you wont have to keep checking up on the boat every time the wind picks up also moorings can be quite expensive to make and put down.

so you can tie up at a pier for free ? are you the one then that has to put the buoy in the water? what does that entail please ?
    thanks fergal for all the imfo...with this weather the sea is getting less inviting !

so you can tie up at a pier for free ? are you the one then that has to put the buoy in the water? what does that entail please ?
    thanks fergal for all the imfo...with this weather the sea is getting less inviting !

Yep free to tie at the pier just make sure your not taking up a fishing boats spot as they may not take it too well :) they don't own the spot but it's their livelihood and they may have been using that spot for years so best to ask one of them where to tie up that will be out of the way.

There is a post here on mooring http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77800565

fair enough, i stopped at schull the other day and noticed a list of prices for mooring, not that would be the spot i would want to moor, but i was curious about the cost...

fair enough, i stopped at schull the other day and noticed a list of prices for mooring, not that would be the spot i would want to moor, but i was curious about the cost...

There are a lot of worried boat owners around the country at the moment with the high water and storm force winds so if you have room to keep the boat at home you will have a happier boating experience, I trailer mine all over the country from home. Once you get used to reversing down the slipway you should have no problem. :)

yes true, as i am getting older, i was hoping to keep it down in the sea for 6 months of the year...thanks for all your advice though .

yes true, as i am getting older, i was hoping to keep it down in the sea for 6 months of the year...thanks for all your advice though .

It can be harder keeping it down at the sea nowadays as you have to disconnect you outboard and bring it home every trip, even boats out on moorings here are getting the engines stolen :(

Put a boat on your santa list and see what happens :)

12191672_1515334722125287_8792818433004053633_n_zps8u4ftylu.jpg

hey there is an idea ! love the cartoon!

Advertisement