Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat not eating wet food

• 04-12-2015 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Princess Foxy has always been a fussy eater but we had settled on a diet of complete cat biscuits plus either canned tuna or freshly cooked chicken, with other trimmings as revealed e.g. If we are having pork or steak, she'll get a few 'left overs'. This was after working our way through raw options and pretty much every prepared food from budget to high end and everything inbetween. She also has Dreamies, limited to 10 per day.

This week she has stopped eating the chicken or tuna, but continued eating her cat biscuits. We thought it might be boredom, so put down some mackerel in tomato sauce as she often sniffs appreciatively over the OHs shoulder. She took some from his hand, but as soon as it hit her bowl, she wasn't interested. Then we tried whiskas in jelly - she never eats the meat portion but she likes liking the jelly off. Still no.

OH decided to try feeding her off another container, and she has eaten a small portion of mackerel off that.

Our household has been a little disrupted as we have had visitors and we have also been away with our visitors (our cat sitter is exceptional), but she doesn't appear stressed. She is still chatting away, zooming up and down the stairs, snuggling, playing with her toys and coming up for pats. She had a checkup a month ago, and the vet was very happy with her. She's an inside cat, with some access to our courtyard. She is urinating twice to three times a day, pooping every third day; the pooping is a slight slow down, she was a 'every second day' type of girl.

1) is that pooping schedule anything we should worry about?
    2) any suggestions on food?
    3) OH thinks maybe she's developed an aversion to her current bowl, and we should buy a new one. Her wet food bowl is ceramic, her water and biscuit bowl is stainless steel and they are all washed and refreshed daily.
    4) do cats slow down their eating over winter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I know nothing about cats really, apart from being a cat slave for just over a year. I do know that my little rescue is fussy about what her food is served in - she favours a few dishes, but wont eat out of some! Saucers are best for her - and nothing that moves/skids on the floor!

If your vet things she is healthy and a good weight, then I wouldnt worry too much - just a fussy eater!

My cat will only really eat at night! Odd little maggot, but she will snack during the day, eat small amounts, but I put her to bed and put out her food then, and when its dark/shes alone, she eats it all - dishes usually clean in the morning. Ive found she will always eat JAMES WELLBELOVED kibble - turkey - which the woman in the shop tells me is their most popular - just in case you havent tried her with that. But if you are sick of buying food she wont eat, PM me your address, and I will pop some in a jiffy bag for you to try - hey, us cat-slaves, espeically those with fussy eaters have to stick together in our slavery!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

1) Not at this time; as long as they are solid
    3) Can always try and see what happens
    4) Some do; some don't :)

Overall I'd not be to worried about it just yet; as long as she's still eating kibble (they are complete in terms of nutrition) but cats do go through phases. I remember one cat we had who decided out of the blue he liked tomatos and would start eating them (we're talking whole tomatos here, it was fun to try to see him try to get a bite out of 'em) and then stopped 4 weeks later never to return to it again. Going through phases with cat food is also quite normal (I should know I'm on a 10+ brand rotation...) so if they still eat, poop and pee I'd not be overly concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

So it's looking likely she's taken an aversion to the bowl.

We cooked her some chicken and left it and some mackerel on plates for her while we trotted off to Maxizoo. We picked up some of the James Wellbeloved in turkey (thanks for the suggestion ANOB), a Royal canin kibble and a third one, more packets of wet food and five new bowls (three saucer types, two bowls) and headed home.

The chicken and mackerel were gone when we got home.

We spread out small portions of all the kibble on individual plates and two of the wet food plus more chicken. She's tasted all of the kibble overnight but seems to favour the James Wellbeloved, eaten more chicken and ignored the wet food. She's been racing around doing zoomies both last night and today, and woke us at 6.30am looking for pats.

Princess Foxy is living up to her moniker :rolleyes:

Advertisement