Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet issue with 1 pc

Options
  • 04-12-2015 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'd love some advice - I've reached my technical knowledge limit here.

We've 4 PCs in the office, connected to a switch via ethernet. The switch is connected to our building's shared internet. We've been given an IPv4 address to use e.g. 192.168.10.1 (or 2 or 3 or 4), and are using google DNS (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4)
    • 3 PCs are running fine.
    • 1 PC has a very unstable and much slower (but working) internet connection. See pic from speed test. The connection appears to regularly stall.
    • The average speed in the Speed Test is ~1mb/sec, with other computers it's 30mb/sec.
    • I have swapped an eithernet cable directly out of back of 1 working PC, and straight in to the slow PC, and it's made no dicernable difference. All the same issues exist
    • I have changed the IPv4 number to that of another PC (e.g. 192.168.10.4 instead of 192.168.10.2)

I can only conclude that there's something wrong with the network card, or the adapter settings are screwed up.

Is there anything I can do to find out? Really hoping to get it sorted before Monday.

Edit: All Pcs are running Windows 7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, so it looks like you've established it's an issue with the PC rather than anything else.

Maybe have a look in the actual ethernet socket, make sure it doesn't look excessively dusty, dirty or otherwise corroded.

Boot into safe mode with networking and run the test again. If it's stable, then it's software or a service running on the machine that's potentially causing this - I've seen the Windows Update service do weird stuff like this.

Scan for malware/spyware.

Try remove/reinstall the drivers for it, do a sfc /scannow on the machine, make sure it's fully patched, drivers up to date, etc.

All else fails, try get your hands on a PCI ethernet card and see if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Thanks a million Seamus, I'll let you know how I get on with this.

Advertisement