Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio memorys (pirate, legal and otherwise!)

• 04-12-2015 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any memory's of radio, be it as listener, host or otherwise. I have a few pirate moments to kick things off.

I think it was many moons ago, as a teen going down the chipper in my fathers scanning the stations picked up Hot 94.1 FM Dublin think Lorraine Doyle was on at the time going around 100 miles per hour reading out names, I remember then not so long ago now maybe 7/8 years listening to what at the time was Club FM 94.1 just coming on air on 94.1FM with Vince or DJ Vince.

But one of the moments is where the pirate radio start for me the mystery although not so mysterious now !

Was this song on Space FM 92.1.. Followed by some guy Gary I think was his name, basically half pissed on air, tripping over something and the computer had a melt down, guessing he tripped over the cable!

Another funny story I have, was while trying to install an aerial on a friends house back when we where starting out, for some reason, we decided against using a latter to get onto the main roof from the small side roof, now this wasn't high at all. Decided if he gave me a boost (you know them things where you put your foot into the persons hands and they hooch you up), well he ended up putting his entire arse thru the window. Lets just say his father wasn't all too happy about that one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

There is already a thread called Radio Memories started back in 2010.

Could the powers that be merge this new one with that one maybe?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Some tune tho'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭mick masterson

Doing a show on Ministry FM about 15 years ago and I decided to run a competition to promote one of the gig’s we were doing at the time .
    So we asked people to ring up and make the sound that a giraffe makes best giraffe sounding person got the VIP tickets with hilarious consequences though.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mickmasterson/ministry-fm-with-mick-masterson-2005-dance-classic-radio-show/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jimceart

The days of the 'pirate' radio are history now in the main. They did however achieve the establishment of the commercial/community and special interest services which now cover the dial from 88 to 108. With the advent of DAB the future for pirate stations in minimal. Currently there are too many FM stations dishing out the exact same formats and this should be looked at by the BAI with a view to giving listeners some real choice. 2fm perhaps could take on a different role such as sports or alternative music genre not currently catered for.

Advertisement