Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting my nails done?

Options
  • 04-12-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering whether to get gel nails done which I did have done a few years ago, or Shellac which I have never tried. I love the different designs on the gel nails and on the shellac I love how one fingernail can be a different colour!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

How long are your nails? If your nails are short and you want longer nails get gel.

If your nails are relatively long just get shellac.

You can also get shellac over gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Gel nails are more high maintenance, IMO.
    I used to get them done and after about two weeks, you'll either have to remove them or have them re-filled as you can see the join between false nail and your own nail.
    But a lot of people love the gel nail look as it's elegant and classic and goes with whatever you're wearing.

Shellac is more like semi-permanent nail varnish and looks ultra glossy.
    It won't chip and lasts a lot longer than gel nails.

It's totally up to you but if it's length you're after, you're best off with gel nails.
    For colour, go with shellac.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

I went with Shellac! However getting it changed for Christmas and not sure which colour to go! I love a bit of sparkle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

pinkstars wrote: »
    I went with Shellac! However getting it changed for Christmas and not sure which colour to go! I love a bit of sparkle...

Last christmas I got shellac done red with the ring fingers on each hand in a silver glitter. A lot of people get this done though. This year i went with a nude/brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Shellac doesn't last longer than gel nails. It's a soft porus gel that's designed to stay on the nail in/around 14 days.

Gel nails build your own nail up a little so it's stronger and you Can either have a shellac/gelish colour on gels or you can have a gel colour. Your nails don't grow any faster with gels on so the regrowth is the same, and as gel is a hard gel, it literally does not budge, so no peeling or chipping. It just grows out.

I prefer shellac. Easy to apply, takes 30 mins and easy to remove. I've had gels for two years and my natural nails are in bits since they've come off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I've heard that about gel nails that they can ruin your natural nail if you're always getting them.
    I think the shellac is lovely and super handy

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Got red glitter shellac although my friend has glue on silver glitter and I prefer them!

Advertisement