Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Cake as a Traybake

Options
  • 04-12-2015 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I've seen Christmas Cakes in the supermarkets which seem to be more like a traybake affair and I'd expect they would make nice neat slices rather than the wedges I usually get from the traditional round cake. Anyone come across any recipes like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Why not just get a square Christmas cake?

Although I have never cut (nor seen it done) a round fruit cake in wedges, it should just be cut straight across in slices. Fruit cake would not normally be served in wedges like dessert cake, you would usually cut a quarter out of it at a time and then slice off that.

Alternatively you could use any recipe and bake it in a traybake type tin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thank you. I have made a square Christmas cake before but it is deeper/higher than I want. Just thought that a loaf tin might be the way to go. Temperature and timing would be guesswork on my part though and that's why I hoped for a suitable recipe, if anyone has a recipe or a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Temperature would be the same but yes timing would be guesswork. Although I like to bake really rich fruitcakes at 120 fan oven, hard to burn them or overcook at that temp. You would nearly know to look at it when it is done, test with a sharp thin blade knife rather than those skinny cake tester things. Leave the knife in for 30 secs and as well as coming out reasonably clean it should be very hot to the touch, then you know the centre is done too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm in a gung-ho kinda mood so, in for a penny, in for a pound. Wish me luck! :)

Advertisement