Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Travelling

• 04-12-2015 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I am travelling for the first time alone. I am wondering what I need to bring to check in when I get to the airport. I am aware that you can do it online, but i rather do it once i get there.
    I got a email confirmation after I booked with Aer Lingus, Do I need to bring that to check in or do i just need my passport or do i need something else?

I am sorry if this question seems silly. I just want to be prepared before hand.
    Also It says when travelling to Spain you need to fill out an API, How do i do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 IloveSheep

I wondering if somebody could get back to be as soon as possible thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

There's also likely to be fees charged if you don't check in before you arrive at the airport

It's easy and self explanatory

Do I have to wait for hours before the flight or can i check in a few days before it? Sorry about this, situations like this always affect my anxiety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

You go to the aerlingus website, click on checkin online, enter your booking reference and your email address, and follow the steps. Depending on where you are flying to, there may be a requirement for you to supply your passport information early. If you struggle, you could ask a friend or family member or even a neighbour to help.

Think of it as a bonus - checking in online usually means you can pick your seat on the plane.

on_my_oe wrote: »
    You go to the aerlingus website, click on checkin online, enter your booking reference and your email address, and follow the steps. Depending on where you are flying to, there may be a requirement for you to supply your passport information early. If you struggle, you could ask a friend or family member or even a neighbour to help.

Think of it as a bonus - checking in online usually means you can pick your seat on the plane.

I booked a choice seat, so I assume I will be one of the first to board the plane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

IloveSheep wrote: »
    I booked a choice seat, so I assume I will be one of the first to board the plane?

Yes, when you arrive at the gate where your plane is scheduled to depart from, make sure you join the "priority boarding" queue.
    I love being one of the first on the plane....it takes a lot of the stress out of it and you have your pick of the overhead bins:)

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Yes, when you arrive at the gate where your plane is scheduled to depart from, make sure you join the "priority boarding" queue.
    I love being one of the first on the plane....it takes a lot of the stress out of it and you have your pick of the overhead bins:)

Will it say that it is a choice seat on my boarding pass?

I think it will say "priority boarding" which is the same thing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

"Priority boarding" is a Ryanair thing. Aer Lingus board from the back of the plane forwards, i.e. those with a high seat number board first.

Spain is one of the countries that wants to know all those personal details about you, so when you book in online you have to give them loads of information. Aer Lingus should manage this at time of checkin though.

If you have a checked bag, you should go to the bag drop counter to check it in. If you only have carry-on luggage, you can just go straight through security to the gate.

Since you're not an experienced traveller, you should be aware that there's a strict no liquids policy, i.e. you should put everything liquid/runny/gel into your checked bag. Otherwise put them into a sealable plastic bag, in containers of 100ml or less: if they're larger than that, they'll be dumped. Also, nothing sharp in your carry on bags or pockets - no scissors, nail files, swords, hatchets, etc.

When you go through security, just put your money, phone, belt, keys, anything else metal, into the tray along with your bag and hat and coat and gloves and scarf, and don't delay folk in the queue behind you (I'm always surprised at the number of folk who don't understand that, yes, you must take off your coat and hat). If you have an e-reader or tablet or laptop, they must be taken out of your bag. You may be asked to put your shoes through the scanner too, so make sure you have no holes in your socks :D

bpmurray wrote: »
    "Priority boarding" is a Ryanair thing. Aer Lingus board from the back of the plane forwards, i.e. those with a high seat number board first.

Spain is one of the countries that wants to know all those personal details about you, so when you book in online you have to give them loads of information. Aer Lingus should manage this at time of checkin though.

If you have a checked bag, you should go to the bag drop counter to check it in. If you only have carry-on luggage, you can just go straight through security to the gate.

Since you're not an experienced traveller, you should be aware that there's a strict no liquids policy, i.e. you should put everything liquid/runny/gel into your checked bag. Otherwise put them into a sealable plastic bag, in containers of 100ml or less: if they're larger than that, they'll be dumped. Also, nothing sharp in your carry on bags or pockets - no scissors, nail files, swords, hatchets, etc.

When you go through security, just put your money, phone, belt, keys, anything else metal, into the tray along with your bag and hat and coat and gloves and scarf, and don't delay folk in the queue behind you (I'm always surprised at the number of folk who don't understand that, yes, you must take off your coat and hat). If you have an e-reader or tablet or laptop, they must be taken out of your bag. You may be asked to put your shoes through the scanner too, so make sure you have no holes in your socks :D

Sorry but that's false. I've flown with Aer Lingus as recently as last month and they called "priority boarding" passengers first and then for all general passengers after that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement