Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slatted tank leak

Options
  • 04-12-2015 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi lads, I have 14 heifers in slatted shed. Shed is three years old. Tank is 12.4 x 4.2 x 2.4 deep approx. cattle have been in since November 11th. Slurry is only 800mm from bottom of the slat. There is no surface water going into the tank and the ground around tank is lower than the top edge of the tank. Where could water be getting in?? Where is the leak??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Was there water in the tank before you put in the cattle?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Is the water getting in through the tie holes in the walls?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 chippy78

There was about 8 inches in it before cattle went in. Is it a common thing for water to come in the tie holes?? Dunno how to check now with the tank almost full.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

800mm left yesterday, how much left today?:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭O.A.P

chippy78 wrote: »
    There was about 8 inches in it before cattle went in. Is it a common thing for water to come in the tie holes?? Dunno how to check now with the tank almost full.

No they should have been sealed with a rubber bung and filled with a cement mix before the tank was back filled.
    Was a water bar used between the ground slab and the concrete walls ? or on the stop ends if the tank was not poured in one hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭howdee

So many possible causes, what type of ground are you in?
    Really the only solution is to empty it and get in, the leak is probably high up as it would take fair pressure to fill against a tank of slurry. It could be a soakaway that is making its way into the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Don't get into the tank, even if it empty, it could still have hydrogen sulphide in it.

http://www.teagasc.ie/newsletters/safety/safeslurryhandling.asp

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

There is no easy answer, when you've emptied it only then can you see where the water is getting in.

Last tank I put in I was able to spot any leaks before I started using it, easily plugged with a cement slurry mix that will set quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Justjens wrote: »
    There is no easy answer, when you've emptied it only then can you see where the water is getting in.

Last tank I put in I was able to spot any leaks before I started using it, easily plugged with a cement slurry mix that will set quickly.
    sure with the wet year we had it should have been filling away ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

A tank leaking out will seal itself one that's letting in water is harder to get sealed, lowering the water outside is the best option if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 chippy78

Found the leak, water lodging at the back of shed and seeping in. Thank god I don't have to go into the tank as I can sort it from the outside. Just one small patch of ground throwing the water in towards the shed. Thanks lads 👍👍👍

Advertisement