Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first time pc gamer. need advise

• 04-12-2015 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi.
    im a first time pc gamer. I wanted to get stuck into RPG games but don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend any good RPG'S for a beginner. A friend suggested Divinity Original Sin but said it might be a bit much for someone who has never played them before.
    Any info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The Bethesda RPGs are good for a beginner. Not too taxing, not that many mechanics to keep track of. Skyrim/Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV/4.

Other options are the Mass Effect series (though less RPGey than most really).

Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 are dirt cheap and well worth a go, even if they're dated - they've aged OK.

Dragon Age Origins as well, though if you're getting this, get the mod that updates the textures, because it hasn't aged well sadly.

Other options: Shadowrun Returns, Deus Ex (shooter with RPG elements), Pillars of Eternity (similar to Divinity in that it might take some getting used to), the Witcher series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah Divinity Original Sin might be a bit advanced if you are not used to them yet

Sheepy boy gives good advice but Deus Ex is too old now (sacrilege I know!) to play I think and Pillars is too like DOS

I would throw into the mix

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines with the unofficial patches

Dragon age series

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

as said The Witcher Series but 1 may put you off so go straight to 2 and 3 has just won game of the year

Dungeon Siege games

Neverwinter games

Bound by Flame is 6 euro atm on Steam which is a decent game

look for updated graphics or mods fro the older games

always check www.isthereanydeal.com to see who is selling it the cheapest legit, but there are grey sites but that's another day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Skerries wrote: »
    Sheepy boy gives good advice but Deus Ex is too old now (sacrilege I know!) to play

I was going to add you to my ignore list, but yeah, you've actually got a point there.

To get around this problem, check out Deus Ex: Revision. A top notch overhaul of Deus Ex, available on Steam, that brings it into the modern age (as much as can be done). Makes it absolutely playable these days.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/397550/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

Witcher 3 just got game of the year. and im told its not a requirement to have played the previous games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim, as mentioned above....Fallout 4 of course. (and 3 and New Vegas)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Has the mass effect trilogy been mentioned yet?

Mass Effect
    Mass Effect 2
    Mass Effect 3
    Dragonage: Origins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hmmm, some alternative recommendations: for action RPGs Diablo 3 is a good game now I think (with the expansion), I like what little I've played of Victor Vran too and Torchlight II is loved by many. Valkyria Chronicles (not PC originally), The Banner Saga (cute tactical RPG), Portal 1/2 (not really RPGs but you said you were new...), Bastion and Transistor (beautiful little RPG games) and Defender's Quest (JRPG/Tower Defense hybrid).

Tried to stray a bit from the usual recommendations there in terms of mechancis/tone etc. If you don't mind dated graphics have a look on GoG.com at the Baldur's Gate series and Planescape. (they're maybe not that accessible though these days) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Buy Skryim.

Install.

Create character

Play game.

Do not see family or friends over Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Dark Messiah Might and Magic is great craic and not hard to master at all. Kick people, stab, slash, block & parry, make them slip up on ice spells etc. The combat and RPG mechanics are much more intuitive and creative than the Bethesda games people are recommending, honestly. Fiver on steam.

Advertisement