Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to see a sample/past IRC application?

• 05-12-2015 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

So I've secured a supervisor for a history PHD but wouldnt be able to do it without funding and am in the process of filling out the application form for the IRC grant. I was wondering if any past applicants could possibly offer hints or even a sample completed form as a guideline? Or do the IRC offer such a sample?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I assume you mean a successful sample form, rather than just a completed one. Completed one is fairly obvious - just fill in all the blanks. Use every word you're allowed to. Read the guidelines.

The IRC doesn't provide any samples, so the best thing to do is check with your supervisor if he has any previous successful applications, or if anyone else in the department does.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Yeah successful forms was what I was looking for, I'll ask the supervisor for some samples. Is there any guideline documents for filling them out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Maybe ask your Graduate Studies office if they're running a workshop on filling them in? In Maynooth they get a couple of successful applicants to do a Q&A session I think. Some departments do a postgrad module of general skills which includes filling out an IRC application. I didn't get to go to that last year, but the History department ran a session for their students and let me sit in. Possibly worth asking your supervisor (or potential supervisor) as well, if they know of other departments giving talks on the subject.

Advertisement