Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some info on a old spanish gun

Options
  • 05-12-2015 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to find out some info on this make of gun ( garate anitua & cia eibar espana). I've just inherited it,
    I've tried google and its just gives info on pistols and nothing about the shotguns they've made,
    If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful,

The gun needs a bit of tlc, the walnut stock is very dull and grimmey, would it be a good idea to clean the timber with white sprits and cotton wool ???? The checkering is quiet worn so I don't want to use anything too abrasive,
    Thanks all,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I know nothing of the makers you mention, but I'd be very leery of doing anything to the gun until I'd found out more about it.
    Many's the antique that was effectively ruined or severely devalued by well meaning, but uninformed, cleaning or 'restoration'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

i wouldnt go near it with white spirits.

If you really want to restore it then its a case of sanding with 180p, 240,320 and 400p raising the grain several times by wetting the stock with a sponge and then drying it with a heat gun and sanding again. not going over the checkering etc... then you can buff out any tiny scratches left in the wood with 000 steel wool and some stock oil.
    this is a very good one i use it in work all day long. the "Dunkel" one is great.
    http://www.gun-clean.de/Waffen-Pflegemittel/Schaft-OEl/Scherell-Schaftol-Schaft-OEl.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Zenner

If you try put up a few pic it might help. Also I wouldn't do anything that might devalue the gun. You need a good smith to restore it. But first find out more about the gun. It might be a case not worth much and just a wall hanging piece if you get what I mean. If worth something then case of restoration but at what cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Thanks lads,
    I'd no intention doing a major over haul. I was just hoping to tidy it up it looks dirty, it needs a good scrubbing more than anything,
    I'll get it serviced 1st and see if the gun smith can shed any light on it,
    Thanks all

ronn wrote: »
    Thanks lads,
    I'd no intention doing a major over haul. I was just hoping to tidy it up it looks dirty, it needs a good scrubbing more than anything,
    I'll get it serviced 1st
    and see if the gun smith can shed any light on it,
    Thanks all

I'd advise not even doing any of that before having it checked out by someone knowledgable.
    It's unlikely I know, but the 'Caravaggio in the attic' scenario does happen now and again. You never know!

• Advertisement

ronn wrote: »
    I'm looking to find out some info on this make of gun ( garate anitua & cia eibar espana). I've just inherited it,
    I've tried google and its just gives info on pistols and nothing about the shotguns they've made,
    If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful,

Throw the Spanish word for 'shotgun' into the mix (escopeta), and you start getting more specific hits.
    All in Spanish, of course :D

Google Translate will give you gist of what's being written.

Looks like the company stopped making firearms around 1930, so your gun is pretty old.

Advertisement