Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far east factory to customer pathway

Options
  • 05-12-2015 12:57am

Hi folks. I have a prototype completed and i'm now trying to source a manufacturer in China or perhaps another South East Asian country if the deal is right. I am a little wary of posting the prototype to manufacturers because it gives them the opportunity to copy the idea but id like to hear the experience of others in this regard.

What does the whole process of shipping the goods consist of?
    I probably should also avail of insurance per item? I realise in some cases tooling costs may also apply and of course shipping costs although China tend not to charge in many cases.

When they arrive at an Irish port, are they sent to a bonded warehouse or is this the stage i hire a logistics company to collect them and pay the taxes and excise duties and then send them to my warehouse?

And i'm also hoping to select a logistics company that can pick and ship. I've considered factors such as shipping time and reorder point which will mean ill have to put up the money for a bigger shipment if there is demand in order to cover safety stock.

Does anyone have any suggestions for market research companies that could help me forecast demand?

I'm also considering other options such as product photography, web design, and logo design.

All feedback and suggestions welcome. PM me with any information you might have

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Anything and everything will be copied in China. That's a fact. I spent a good deal of time there and whilst I never manufactured, I'd be extremely cautious of doing so. IP means nothing and knock off's are rife. You will want very deep pockets to get a product from prototype to Dublin Port. You would be best going to China and meeting any manufacture in person, and that in itself is a challenge. There are companies that will act as middle men but China is very much a face to face society, and all the acumen that goes with that.

Is there any reason you can't manufacture in the EU or Ireland? Putting cost aside, at least you idea would be protected and you could trial run. If it expands, you can always look at China for larger scale production.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Anything and everything will be copied in China. That's a fact. I spent a good deal of time there and whilst I never manufactured, I'd be extremely cautious of doing so. IP means nothing and knock off's are rife. You will want very deep pockets to get a product from prototype to Dublin Port. You would be best going to China and meeting any manufacture in person, and that in itself is a challenge. There are companies that will act as middle men but China is very much a face to face society, and all the acumen that goes with that.

Is there any reason you can't manufacture in the EU or Ireland? Putting cost aside, at least you idea would be protected and you could trial run. If it expands, you can always look at China for larger scale production.

Thanks very much for your reply and fantastic insight. I am definitely open to manufacturing in ireland or the eu but im concerned that the costs of manufacturing could prove too high. However, the other side of it is if i give my product to Chinese manufacturers that i could end up out of the game before i begin. Definately food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hi folks. I have a prototype completed and i'm now trying to source a manufacturer in China or perhaps another South East Asian country if the deal is right. I am a little wary of posting the prototype to manufacturers because it gives them the opportunity to copy the idea but id like to hear the experience of others in this regard.

What does the whole process of shipping the goods consist of?
    I probably should also avail of insurance per item? I realise in some cases tooling costs may also apply and of course shipping costs although China tend not to charge in many cases.

When they arrive at an Irish port, are they sent to a bonded warehouse or is this the stage i hire a logistics company to collect them and pay the taxes and excise duties and then send them to my warehouse?

And i'm also hoping to select a logistics company that can pick and ship. I've considered factors such as shipping time and reorder point which will mean ill have to put up the money for a bigger shipment if there is demand in order to cover safety stock.

Does anyone have any suggestions for market research companies that could help me forecast demand?

I'm also considering other options such as product photography, web design, and logo design.

All feedback and suggestions welcome. PM me with any information you might have

Hello tipp_Gunner

I think there are a few options.

Have a look at the following website ; http://www.pchintl.com/
    This is an Irish company that helps both start ups and fortune 500 companies from design, through manufacturing, finance, delivery to end customer / full logistics program.

Have a look at the following LinkedIn profiles of some of the contact people;
    http://ie.linkedin.com/in/joeperrott
    http://hk.linkedin.com/in/rod-moloney-035584
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/caseyliam
    (Liam Casey is the founder and CEO)

Personally, I think they come as close as I have seen to providing a complete end to end service.

Can I also suggest to have a look at the following link ; http://www.jsilogistics.com/industry-expertise/semiconductor-logistics/semiconductor-backend-services/

They have design and maufacturing expertise and have an office in Ireland. Depending on your requirements, they may be able to combine their manufacturing expertise with their logistics expertise.

I reckon both options would be able to assist you in achieving your aims.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement