Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of the Christmas stalls on Henry Street in Dublin?

Options
  • 05-12-2015 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

I personally hate them. Busiest time of the year and you have these awful stalls taking up half the street.

They sell tat. I think it looks bad on us that these stalls pop up selling such crap for the month of December. Other countries seem to have much better stalls selling local craft products.

These look like knock offs or visually similar packaging to well known brands.

Maybe it's because I work in the city centre and see them every day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭RayCon

They're traditional ...... y'know - that old tradition of selling fakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

You'd better be careful.. "Man of de People" Joe Duffy is a big fan of them.

He had one of the sellers on one year, the guy admitted to working and drawing the dole, Joe's attitude was 'sure it's harmless, look what bankers took off us etc. etc'.

He also laid into the Guards and customs for checking for counterfeit stuff there. It's full of fake crap, but if that's what you want, then you know where to go.

The principle of having a load of stalls on Henry St selling stiff doesn't bother me, it's the brazen illegality of what they are doing that plsses me off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Moved from AH to Dublin City. Please read their charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I'm a retailer in the area and it drives me crazy. We'd get shut down in no time if we were trying to shift dodgy stuff like that but for some reason they are allowed to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I think they should shift them to Grafton street next year, and see the proverbial really hit the fan:D

• Advertisement

I think they should shift them to Grafton street next year, and see the proverbial really hit the fan:D

The scenes! It amazes me that Arnotts aren't on this like crazy its parked right outside their shop ripping off the exact brands they are selling. Maybe now its changed hands something might be done I can only imagine what would happen if similar was set up outside of Selfridges!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

jimmii wrote: »
    The scenes! It amazes me that Arnotts aren't on this like crazy its parked right outside their shop ripping off the exact brands they are selling. Maybe now its changed hands something might be done I can only imagine what would happen if similar was set up outside of Selfridges!

I suppose in most cases, the type of people who buy the fakes from the stalls wouldn't be buying the real thing in Arnotts anyway, and vice versa.

For the record, I hate thrm by the way. They're just tacky and dirty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I personally think they need to go. They seriously lower the tone of the street. I know they are traditionally etc. But since when is selling knock off aftershave and cheap one direction posters part of our heritage?

I would keep them if they were similar to the German style of stalls with decent food products and regional christmas ornaments. But they are selling anything you could find in a supermarket or a cheap car boot sale.

I wouldnt ban them, as it will only give support to the anti-everything crowd eg anti-water charges. Just have Revenue and Customs hounding them. Although they do a horrific job at stopping black market cigarettes being sold on Moore Street

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭skinnie

They're terrible. Even if you disregard the crappy fake crap they sell, the whole idea of "Let's decrease the room available on a crowded pedestrian street by 25% at the busiest time of year" is nonsensical.

I much prefer Henry St to Grafton St (only ever there if absolutely necessary) but come this time of year I avoid completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

even though I have liked every single anti stall response on here, I actually like them. I detest the majority of the things they sell but I do like the feeling of xmas they bring due to their connotation of being there.

I do find it baffling though how they can sell knock off fake products and nobody cares. That's more a law enforcement issue though

There are craft stalls down at the IFSC area of town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

even though I have liked every single anti stall response on here, I actually like them. I detest the majority of the things they sell but I do like the feeling of xmas they bring due to their connotation of being there.

I do find it baffling though how they can sell knock off fake products and nobody cares. That's more a law enforcement issue though

There are craft stalls down at the IFSC area of town

The multinationals who own the trademarks spend millions a year trying to protect their IP. They will have guys visiting these types of stalls around the world identifying breach of trademark. Unfortunately if the police don't enforce there's nothing they can really do.

At least in other cities these sellers have the decency to pack up and run off when the police are in the vicinity. In Ireland they brazenly continue. the Gardai don't care

I was walking by yesterday morning and there was a Guard at one of the stalls joking with one of the traders he was going round checking their permits didn't pay any attention to anything they were selling at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

And they sell the same stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I don't mind the fact that they are there. I think they add to the colour and atmosphere of the street on the day, even if the traders aren't as dainty and delicate as a bunch of aul wans selling their knitting.

I do agree with other posters that it is terribly unfair, that such a massive blind eye is turned to the dodgy provenance of so much of the goods. The VAT man and the Guards would come down on regular shops like a ton of bricks, if their stock was of the back of a van variety.

Agree the quality of what they sell is utter rubbish. I think the only thing I have ever bought from a stall, was a bit of purple tinsel & that was probably 10 years ago. I'd love to see the likes of the NCAD and other colleges that teach art and design and craft wares, jewelry etc etc be involved in market stalls on places on Henry St, or where ever this years Xmas market is. Give students a chance to display and sell their wares. Or get the various artists guilds involved...pottery makers, silversmiths, crocheters, knitters etc etc. Give the people who make things with their hands, that are actually worthwhile buying, a shot at making a few bob. Or give charities a chance to sell items made by their own members & the profits go to a very good cause.

Get rid of all these knock off Michael Kors handbags and Selection Boxes - 3 fer a fiver - that fell off the back of a van in 2007.

But that would probably entail some creative, joined up thinking that is sadly lacking in our glorious little banana republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

They've been selling the last of the Paco Rabanne for years now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

They're one of the reasons I avoid that street at christmas. Tattiest stalls, you'd get better in a car boot sale. "Tradition" should not be a reason to keep shíte like this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I think it's about a grand for a stall license now.DDC making a few quid for there Christmas party.

tbf some of the battery operated toys like the barking / walking dog is still going strong after 3 years. Wasnt my child's main xmas present btw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Where else would I get my rappin' paper, foive for a euro!
    They're the closest cultural thing we have to European Christmas markets.

Maybe in years to come, zee Germans will have 'Irish Style Christmas Markets' lining the coblestoned city squares of Frankfurt and Munich... with Hans and Heinz selling the finest knock-off products in their best Dublin accents...

it really is something to be able to sell knock off wrapping paper. do they do it on purpose to make it rip after folding it? Surely the cost of knock off wrapping paper and authentic wrapping paper cant be that big a margin to stock it to the public

• Advertisement

it really is something to be able to sell knock off wrapping paper. do they do it on purpose to make it rip after folding it? Surely the cost of knock off wrapping paper and authentic wrapping paper cant be that big a margin to stock it to the public

The good quality paper is surprisingly expensive!

The good quality paper is surprisingly expensive!

It's not though. You can find good paper at very reasonable prices, if you know where to shop. And it's even more reasonable if you buy it at 75% off in the January sales. ðŸ˜

even wrapping paper in smyths is fairly cheap tbf

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It's not though. You can find good paper at very reasonable prices, if you know where to shop. And it's even more reasonable if you buy it at 75% off in the January sales. ðŸ˜

It actually is but its not the sort of thing you find on those stalls I own a gift retailer so I know exactly how much it all costs. We do a range of paper that is €3.50 a sheet and is incredibly popular I've even seen some of it online being sold as a "print" for €20! Couldn't believe it when I found that!

even wrapping paper in smyths is fairly cheap tbf

Thats not the good quality stuff though thats just the same as they have on the stalls really.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭purplekitty

I was only walking through the city on Thursday in the afternoon and there wasn't even 90% of the stalls open that I would be used to seeing even during the normal year (non Christmas time stalls).
    I love the normal 'wrapping paaaaaper, fiiiiiiiive for a euuuuuuuuuuro!.
    But there was NONE of it this year. Just one poor bastard selling paco raban 'one million' outside the Jervis. Pure knock off merchant :)
    I am very nostalgic about the stall sellers, especially around Christmas

I was only walking through the city on Thursday in the afternoon and there wasn't even 90% of the stalls open that I would be used to seeing even during the normal year (non Christmas time stalls).
    I love the normal 'wrapping paaaaaper, fiiiiiiiive for a euuuuuuuuuuro!.
    But there was NONE of it this year. Just one poor bastard selling paco raban 'one million' outside the Jervis. Pure knock off merchant :)
    I am very nostalgic about the stall sellers, especially around Christmas

lol yeh I saw that too! It did seem like he might not be aware he was the only one left though didn't seem to be in the best shape at the time!

It actually is but its not the sort of thing you find on those stalls I own a gift retailer so I know exactly how much it all costs. We do a range of paper that is €3.50 a sheet and is incredibly popular I've even seen some of it online being sold as a "print" for €20! Couldn't believe it when I found that!

I know what you mean. The paper they sell on the stalls is muck. I've never used the rolls, but the sheets are utter rubbish. You'd put your fingers thru the paper, the minute you go to wrap something. And God help you if you are wrapping a box with sharp corners. :mad:

What I meant was that you can get decent quality paper, at very reasonable prices, in places other than specialty gift shops, traditional stationers like Easons, or the "posher" shops like Marks & Spencers, Debenhams etc. I've gotten some great paper in Dunnes, Pennys, Dealz and the two euro shops.

If you do want some of the really good stuff, go back in after Xmas & you can pick up heavily discounted rolls of plain silver and gold paper & shiny red and green paper that is not overtly Christmassy. It not only does for the following Chrimbo, it works just as well for birthday prezzies through out the year. So its a win win... :D

Edit: It's a win win for me and my wallet, but I can see why an independent retailer might not be jumping for joy at that set up, so sorry....:o

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I know what you mean. The paper they sell on the stalls is muck. I've never used the rolls, but the sheets are utter rubbish. You'd put your fingers thru the paper, the minute you go to wrap something. And God help you if you are wrapping a box with sharp corners. :mad:

What I meant was that you can get decent quality paper, at very reasonable prices, in places other than specialty gift shops, traditional stationers like Easons, or the "posher" shops like Marks & Spencers, Debenhams etc. I've gotten some great paper in Dunnes, Pennys, Dealz and the two euro shops. If you go back in after Xmas, you can pick up heavily discounted rolls of plain silver and gold paper & shiny red and green paper that is not overtly Christmassy. It not only does for the following Chrimbo, it works just as well for birthday prezzies through out the year. So its a win win ! :D

Yeh its amazing that it lasts all the way to the stalls with it being so thin! Some of it you can see whats wrapped up under it which kind of defeats the purpose a bit! But I guess at 10m for a euro or whatever it is then its not that surprising!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Two separate bagpipers busking in/off Grafton Street last night. Give me Henry St any time.

Advertisement