Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of the Christmas stalls on Henry Street in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

One of the lads near the GPO arcade offered me bluey dvd's this morning. So its not only decorations that they sell:eek::o

I assume you explained to him about the internet...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

So basically no one likes them. I've always hated them and never understood why they were allowed sell illegal products while claiming the dole. Travellers and inner city folk have laws of their own in this country. I'm a northsider but work near St Stephens green since last year and tbh I won't be going near Henry St or that area this year. Or ever really. Tasteless dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Red Kev wrote: »
    You'd better be careful.. "Man of de People" Joe Duffy is a big fan of them.

He had one of the sellers on one year, the guy admitted to working and drawing the dole, Joe's attitude was 'sure it's harmless, look what bankers took off us etc. etc'.

Joe Duffy called Dublin “an unadulterated kip” that’s “taken over by pound shops”
    The city centre in Dublin is being taken over by pound shops, banks are being turned into fast food gaffs.
    There are now pound shops, 99 cent shops, 98 cent shops. Dublin city centre is turning into an unadulterated kip and nobody is shouting stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ongarboy wrote: »

As others said, if I was a bricks and mortar retailer paying expensive rates and was tax compliant, Id be fuming if my business was basically being made invisible by these stalls outside them. Why not locate them at least in the open area behind the Church bar off Mary Street instead of placing them on an already congested thoroughfare?

Nail on the head there. Retailers spend a lot of time and effort on their windows to create footfall and then at the busiest retailing time of year a bunch of stalls come along to block them and create obstructions on the street. The stalls pay council rates for one month a year yet get prime position in front of retailers paying council rates 12 months a year, every year. Something is not right here, Moore St is a better venue for these type of stalls.

I dont intend going down there in the next few weeks but can anyone tell me how far have the stalls now gone down from the GPO? Some people on thread are saying that they're 'an institution', I'm not so sure. I had thought that there were 10-15 stalls or so near the GPO corner in the late 90's and then they expanded to about 20-30 during the Celtic Tiger but have more recently expanded even more during the recession due to DCC needing cash from whatever sources can give it.

Has anyone got a count on how many stalls there are this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Just heard that one of the retail bodies has contacted the Gardai about the amount of illicit trading going on this year. Hard to see anything coming from it but you never know!

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Nail on the head there. Retailers spend a lot of time and effort on their windows to create footfall and then at the busiest retailing time of year a bunch of stalls come along to block them and create obstructions on the street. The stalls pay council rates for one month a year yet get prime position in front of retailers paying council rates 12 months a year, every year. Something is not right here, Moore St is a better venue for these type of stalls.

I dont intend going down there in the next few weeks but can anyone tell me how far have the stalls now gone down from the GPO? Some people on thread are saying that they're 'an institution', I'm not so sure. I had thought that there were 10-15 stalls or so near the GPO corner in the late 90's and then they expanded to about 20-30 during the Celtic Tiger but have more recently expanded even more during the recession due to DCC needing cash from whatever sources can give it.

Has anyone got a count on how many stalls there are this year?

They go as far as Mary St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I counted twelve yesterday at about 4 pm. There was a few more further down.

The contrast between the shop windows of Henry St and the steel frames and weathered canvas of the stalls is striking. They look really out of place. If we had a proper planning system in place and they were to apply, I doubt they would get permission.

Wooden framed stalls, properly positioned on the street with regard to the flow of pedestrians would make a difference.

Perhaps it's the same planning office that saw fit to leave the Luas lines separated, that's green lighting these stalls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Won't someone please think of the tax avoiding faceless multinational corporations that line Henry St?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

One of the lads near the GPO arcade offered me bluey dvd's this morning. So its not only decorations that they sell:eek::o
    Won't someone please think of the tax avoiding faceless multinational corporations that line Henry St?

To be fair, bricks and mortar shops can't get away with avoiding tax to anywhere near the same extent as internet firms although Starbucks seem to be doing their best....

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Passed through there today. What an absolute kip. The Mos Eisley of Ireland.

Had a game of dodge the addict while trying to look at the arnotts window, never mind the cheap tat flittering about in the wind. Plenty of guards around too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Guards just swiped 2 full van fills of counterfeit good from 1 stall, don't know how they're not all shut down, surely none of the stuff is authentic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

Are you guys saying that those Ugg boots aren't genuine?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the Toblerodens are real, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

jimmii wrote: »
    Just heard that one of the retail bodies has contacted the Gardai about the amount of illicit trading going on this year. Hard to see anything coming from it but you never know!

Yesterday evening I saw two pairs of Gardaí on Henry St. That's the most visible police presence I've seen in the North inner city for a couple of years apart from protest situations, so maybe they are actually doing something about these dodgy vendors. I wouldn't be sorry to see a bulldozer sent down Henry St to sort out those stalls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    I counted twelve yesterday at about 4 pm. There was a few more further down.

The contrast between the shop windows of Henry St and the steel frames and weathered canvas of the stalls is striking. They look really out of place. If we had a proper planning system in place and they were to apply, I doubt they would get permission.

Wooden framed stalls, properly positioned on the street with regard to the flow of pedestrians would make a difference.

Perhaps it's the same planning office that saw fit to leave the Luas lines separated, that's green lighting these stalls?

That was a political decision by Mary O'Rourke who was Minister of Transport at the time, nothing to do with planners who all wanted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

loyatemu wrote: »
    the Toblerodens are real, right?

vergleich_toblerone-faelschung.jpg?width=640&height=332&ext=.jpg

150513174259-counterfeiter-thailand-toblerone-super-169.jpg

I read of fake coca cola plants too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Its not just the stalls.. There is a "chain" that likes to slip fake crap in also.. I reported it so will see what happens. It looks like this "chain" sells the debranded fakes..

And calling them "replicas" does not make stuff legit..

All over Adverts.ie.. "replica" this and that..

Its fake, counterfeit.. Don't waste your money folks..

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

I hate the stalls taking up so much space on an already narrow street, there is a square across from the Jervis that usually is just full of junkies anyways so why not just shift the stalls there and whoever really wants to buy the cheap crap from them knows where to go and if done right this could look much better (something similar to the Xmas market at Stephens Green) which might help with setting up a few food stalls too.

Alternatively for those who believe they bring a Christmas atmosphere to the place move them to O'Connell St along the middle path and also have a few in the space at Dunne's side entrance to the ilac where there's already a few stalls so that there still around but not in the way of the main shopping street.

Either of those ideas would suit me fine and would help me to not hate their presence on the street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

It is a great part of me jewel and darlint Dublin and a great chance to interact with some real Dubs. Tourists love it. One woman said it reminded her of Araby by Joyce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

First: where is Henry street?
    Second : I hate Christmas and everything that has to do something with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Asmooh wrote: »
    First: where is Henry street?
    Second : I hate Christmas and everything that has to do something with it

Henry Street, Dublin 1.
    I assume if you hate Christmas and everything to do with it, on principle, you will be working on Christmas Day and the instead-of-Stephens-Day-bank-holiday? That would be a consistent philosophical position.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Henry Street, Dublin 1.
    I assume if you hate Christmas and everything to do with it, on principle, you will be working on Christmas Day and the instead-of-Stephens-Day-bank-holiday? That would be a consistent philosophical position.

I will work on the 24th and the 28th yes, If i could work on 25,26 i would also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

So basically no one likes them. I've always hated them and never understood why they were allowed sell illegal products while claiming the dole. Travellers and inner city folk have laws of their own in this country. I'm a northsider but work near St Stephens green since last year and tbh I won't be going near Henry St or that area this year. Or ever really. Tasteless dive.
    Well said. I often pass through that part of town too most weeks and I think the stalls leave a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I hate them. Hate them... they are so tacky and add NOTHING only faintly dodgy goods.

Should move them all up to the little park behind the Church Pub. Let them at it there and leave the streets to the shops that pay rates.

Win, Win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Please elaborate on how they avoid payroll taxes and VAT?

(...or indeed how they avoid paying rates, or even payroll in general - sounds like an amazing business opportunity if you've some inside knowledge)

I hate them. Hate them... they are so tacky and add NOTHING only faintly dodgy goods.

Should move them all up to the little park behind the Church Pub. Let them at it there and leave the streets to the shops that pay rates.

Win, Win.

They actually want that area to be used for a Christmas market! Good luck with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

That was a political decision by Mary O'Rourke who was Minister of Transport at the time, nothing to do with planners who all wanted it.

Fair enough, although I was alluding to systemic dysfunction, which still stands if the Minister had to stop a crucial part of the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Personally I hate them. Always have and always will.

They make me avoid the area at Christmas now as its too congested and if you've kids its like a compulsory tax on sh1t - "can we can we can we" (I always say no but its easier just to avoid the bloody place altogether)

"Three for Fifty De rappin papah" - sure aren't they great, where would we be without them?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

This year's stalls are better than ever.. They're selling pillows in the shape of the "poo" emojis!! I mean who can even walk past that without buying one?! And "Yankee" candles with visible labels that have been printed off a computer in one of those internet cafes on Talbot street.

Not to mention the 2 for a fiver rip off wrapping paper that is basically tracing paper. Aaaaand I hope you all bought your Christmas grapes from the woman who stands outside Penneys on Mary Street and chain smokes over them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There was a report on radio a few days ago, warning people about buying counterfeit brand name cosmetics at markets and stalls. (Paco Rabanne and MAC were mentioned specifically.) Apparently, the Guards seized a quantity that were found to have trace elements of lead and other toxins that could be very harmful if they came in contact with the skin, especially if you are preggers. Poor aul Paco is one of the most in demand lads on the Henry St stalls. Because, what sez Christmas more, than showing up at the mother in laws for dinner, reeking of dodgy PR perfume that smells like pee, and the face melted off you from radioactive blusher? :(

Advertisement