Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of the Christmas stalls on Henry Street in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

If I had a store that was moderately busy for 11 months of the year and December makes or breaks my year, I’d be more than a tad peeved to see these guys allowed to set up camp for Christmas. Especially given the cost of rates etc. It’s a disgrace that this is allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Chinasea wrote: »
    Who cleans up after them? Do they contribute to that?

Doubt it.
    They do. Casual trading rates for Henry St for Dec are €500 a stall.

Nevertheless, one of the reasons to avoid the place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

And Moore street still sinks of rotten fish and veg

• Registered Users Posts: 43 daisyos1

I personally love them! It makes the street very Christmassy and that's what you want. Yes it's busy but it's Christmas, everywhere is busy no matter what! Wouldn't be the same without them there every year and fair play to them all for standing in the cold and rain to sell. A job is a job!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

daisyos1 wrote: »
    I personally love them! It makes the street very Christmassy and that's what you want. Yes it's busy but it's Christmas, everywhere is busy no matter what! Wouldn't be the same without them there every year and fair play to them all for standing in the cold and rain to sell. A job is a job!

You say that as if it's top quality genuine merchandise that is being sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

neris wrote: »
    And Moore street still sinks of rotten fish and veg
    Yes its not just the stalls on Henry Street, the stalls on Moore Street are ****e too. There seems to be no sense of class associated with the stalls. I love the prams with the fruit, but the stalls could do with a makeover like below. The fish stinks because it should be cooled and kept fresh with ice. The sooner the market opens up near smithfield the better.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=market+stalls+france&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSmffkkrDYAhXHJsAKHdz1DvQQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=623#imgrc=ojIQHdwWizjkAM:&spf=1514582325955

dan1895 wrote: »
    You say that as if it's top quality genuine merchandise that is being sold.

There is nothing genuine about what they sell, but that doesn't really matter in terms of the atmosphere of the street & the fact they have lives too and are trying to make a living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

There is nothing genuine about what they sell, but that doesn't really matter in terms of the atmosphere of the street & the fact they have lives too and are trying to make a living.

Well they don't really add anything in terms of atmosphere, and what about the people working in the shops - aren't they just trying to make a living?

Jawgap wrote: »
    Well they don't really add anything in terms of atmosphere, and what about the people working in the shops - aren't they just trying to make a living?

Yes they are trying to make a living also? Everyone is trying to make a living, there is a bit difference between shops and stalls. they are set up once a year for a month, I don't see how it's causing severe harm to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Yes they are trying to make a living also? Everyone is trying to make a living, there is a bit difference between shops and stalls. they are set up once a year for a month, I don't see how it's causing severe harm to anyone.

I think if you look beyond the superficial you'll see there's a lot of knocked off tat on the stalls, damaging the intellectual property rights of numerous companies and individuals.

Also, these stalls don't pay business rates and so don't contribute to the upkeep of the city or even the street on which they trade (nor do they pay to have their waste removed).......they pay little in the way of taxes and pay their helpers cash-in-hand......if buy any faulty goods, then good luck trying to vindicate your rights as a consumer in January.

They may well be trying to earn a living, but it's a living at the expense and on the back of a lot of other people who contribute a lot more to the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I just happened to be in Henry Street there before Christmas.

The big thing I noticed was that walking down the middle of the street I couldn't see the shop windows of places like Arnotts. Unless I slimmed myself down and went sideways behind the stalls!

They are tacky and so unnecessary. Who the feck buys anything from them when there is Dealz and Eurogiant paying rates and taxes on the same fekkin street and better quality goods for half the price of the stallies.

I will try and be calm here. But I HATE them.

Anyway as other posters have said, if I were the CEO of Arnotts and other shops paying their way I would demand they be moved elsewhere. All on Moore Street perhaps. Can you just see the craic there if so!

They all have their pitches and they are all connected.

Shame on Dublin City Council to allow this in this day and age. It adds feck all to the city.

Would not be allowed in Grafton Street for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

daisyos1 wrote:

Returned to Dublin on visit at beginning of December. Loved Graftons Streets lights etc. Visited Henry Street to soak up the atmosphere of shops lights and Street Traders. The Dublin banter helped put me in the Christmas spirit. Long may these stalls last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Agreed, think they are fantastic myself. Get all variety of bits and bobs from the sellers been going there since the late 70's when my parents used to bring us. :)

I wouldn't dwell on it that much tbh Daisy. A lot of posters on here love to complain and moan about everything this is just another in a long line.

Happy New Year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Wheety wrote: »
    I personally hate them. Busiest time of the year and you have these awful stalls taking up half the street.

They sell tat. I think it looks bad on us that these stalls pop up selling such crap for the month of December. Other countries seem to have much better stalls selling local craft products.

These look like knock offs or visually similar packaging to well known brands.

Maybe it's because I work in the city centre and see them every day.

I have no problem with them. They're part of the christmas atmosphere at this stage. Have to say, though, it had never occurred to me to glance at what they're selling never mind buy something off them. Maybe I'll have a look next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    I wouldn't dwell on it that much tbh Daisy. A lot of posters on here love to complain and moan about everything this is just another in a long line.

Happy New Year :)

They sell knock off tat while blocking genuine businesses and do you really think they’re not claiming the dole and declaring their earnings to the tax man? One rule for them and one for the rest of us. Shut them down.

They sell knock off tat while blocking genuine businesses and do you really think they’re not claiming the dole and declaring their earnings to the tax man? One rule for them and one for the rest of us. Shut them down.

You have proof of this of course?

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    You have proof of this of course?

You’d have to be aright moron with no real life experience to think otherwise

You’d have to be aright moron with no real life experience to think otherwise

So no proof then. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

They do nothing for Henry Street, they block it up.

They sell useless rubbish.

What do these entrepreneurs get up to the rest of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

DCC charges the rates DCC sells the Stall Permits too.

DCC charges the rates DCC sells the Stall Permits too.

Rates would be chargeable on a permanent pitch, these are seasonal pitches.

I cannot imagine that the permits take in much money.

Extra cleaning would also be required by DCC.

I suspect the benefit if any is negligible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

part of the city and tradition. as you were 21S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

imme wrote: »
    Rates would be chargeable on a permanent pitch, these are seasonal pitches.
    Seasonal pitches are charged €500 for use in December only.

tricky D wrote: »
    Seasonal pitches are charged €500 for use in December only.

That is the fee for a casual trading licence, henry st stall specific, December specific,
    It is not rates.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I also saw their sales were down - a trend likely to have persisted into 2017. I know they say that the Gardai doing safety checks is a possible reason, but can I posit another one reason: Is it because their merchandise is crap, poorly presented, found elsewhere in Dealz, and that they are a relic of the past - so much so that one of the traders admits they're doing it for legacy reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't think they have much of a market anymore and next year it might be time offering the stands to people selling craft Irish goods. Why are they only selling rubbish?

Lux23 wrote: »
    I don't think they have much of a market anymore and next year it might be time offering the stands to people selling craft Irish goods. Why are they only selling rubbish?

I don't think inner city dwellers are going to be serving us up artisan breads and organic chilli relishes or smoked gubbeen cheddar, etc!
    I'd love to see a proper market there every year but that whole area has sold rubbish since I've been a kid in the 80s. It's tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't think inner city dwellers are going to be serving us up artisan breads and organic chilli relishes or smoked gubbeen cheddar, etc!
    I'd love to see a proper market there every year but that whole area has sold rubbish since I've been a kid in the 80s. It's tradition.

Well they might offer to stands to people who would offer something like this? I suppose they might have go out of their way to find people like this.

Advertisement