Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

job offer acceptance dlimma: big vs small company

Options
  • 05-12-2015 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I work for an small size IT company, had interview with another multinational IT company. which offered me the job with salary xxxxx (8k euro more than my current salary), 35 hours week(current job 37.5), free life insurance(current job no life insurance), designated car parking space (current job has no parking), health insurance(current job has health insurance too), discounted company shares buy scheme(current job no such scheme), contributory pension scheme(current job scheme too, but I m not member),performance related bonus(current role no bonus of any kind)

ofcourse, I ll be mad not to take this, therefore, I happily accepted this new offer and went to my manager with resignation letter, first he was bit shocked, did not want me to lose, talked with his peers and came back, made counter offer of 5k more than this new offer and role of manager level with more responsibility along with my current role. tbh, I never imagined that happening, but to my wonder, I am getting increase of 13k euro from next month, if I stayed with current company!
    and now I am between hard and rock situation. cant decide what to take and what to refuse.

pros of going with big company: shorter work week, more career prospectus, for time being less hectic job as not managerial level job and as above mentioned. more money from bonuses, will lose money in beginning but in long term can get that back.
    cons: no idea what working environment going to be, peers etc. what future lies ahead.

I have weekend to think and decide. I think this decision is so big to take. I dnt think new company will make further counter offer for this role. I let them made aware of the situation and did not hear anything back from them. if I decide with new crowd, I ll have to loose money and may leave sour taste in my current employer. does it worth loosing 5k euro and going to big company
    what should I do? Any advice please??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You've already decided to leave; in most cases people who do take a counter offer ends up leaving with in a year anyway as salary alone is rarely the only reason you're leaving. Excluding possible commute issues I'd go with multi national simply because you can build a better longterm career from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭irishrepeat2

glassdoor wrote: »
    I work for an small size IT company, had interview with another multinational IT company. which offered me the job with salary xxxxx (8k euro more than my current salary), 35 hours week(current job 37.5), free life insurance(current job no life insurance), designated car parking space (current job has no parking), health insurance(current job has health insurance too), discounted company shares buy scheme(current job no such scheme), contributory pension scheme(current job scheme too, but I m not member),performance related bonus(current role no bonus of any kind)

ofcourse, I ll be mad not to take this, therefore, I happily accepted this new offer and went to my manager with resignation letter, first he was bit shocked, did not want me to lose, talked with his peers and came back, made counter offer of 5k more than this new offer and role of manager level with more responsibility along with my current role. tbh, I never imagined that happening, but to my wonder, I am getting increase of 13k euro from next month, if I stayed with current company!
    and now I am between hard and rock situation. cant decide what to take and what to refuse.

pros of going with big company: shorter work week, more career prospectus, for time being less hectic job as not managerial level job and as above mentioned. more money from bonuses, will lose money in beginning but in long term can get that back.
    cons: no idea what working environment going to be, peers etc. what future lies ahead.

I have weekend to think and decide. I think this decision is so big to take. I dnt think new company will make further counter offer for this role. I let them made aware of the situation and did not hear anything back from them. if I decide with new crowd, I ll have to loose money and may leave sour taste in my current employer. does it worth loosing 5k euro and going to big company
    what should I do? Any advice please??

im a student not a working man but let me give me two cents as no one else has.

It really depends how well you get on with your staff and how nice a place it is to work. you havent mentioned that at all so presumably its fine but nothing special.

id do my research on the other company. if they seem to get good reviews from staff then might be worth your while taking a chance. its less hours (although not much less) and not a managerial position with extra benefits. why do you lose money initially though may I ask?

you also have another option if youre more tempted to stay now. why not ask for more from this new place. youve nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Escapees

"I happily accepted this new offer"...

Don't think it's very mature to expect this company to now increase their offer, considering that you already accepted it. Think to be honest that you've not dealt with things ideally and that there may be oddness in the future from both companies - existing one which you pretty much almost walked away from and new one which you went back on your word with.

Advice? It's not all about money or perks. Think hard about why you wanted to leave current company in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sos88

To be honest you need to essentially break down why you looked to leave in the first place. If it was solely for money, than I wouldn't leave. If there was other factors than have they changed? I wouldn't focus on shorter work week, its 30 mins a day, everyone does some over time UN paid, be it for a release or deadline, also in a more formal company they will be more clock watchers. Career wise managerial direction is that what you want? It will add money to your career long term but you need to work out what you want. Sometimes a global MNC means you are further from the decision makers and internal politics take over

• Registered Users Posts: 2 glassdoor

I appreciate all comments and different points of view. very helpful. thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement