Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NetDuma router

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Exactly this. This is the list of ip ranges just for Ireland that you'd need to add to an access control list. It would be counterproductive as it would add a few milliseconds to the ping as the firewall checks each connection against the list

It really should be more a matter of <1ms really as CAM will make that lookup REALLY fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »
    It really should be more a matter of <1ms really as CAM will make that lookup REALLY fast.

With a accept list of 20k+ prefixes? On a 50quid router. Mikrotik have a good rep but I don't think it's that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Ok back to the point of this thread to being informative. Here's a quote from a guy that has this piece of gear.

"So I got a Netduma r1 router which allows me to see where the current host is. Let me start off by saying to those thinking about getting one that it is nice for finding games. However, that changes after every game.

I live in Washington state near the coast and have said all along that I don't mind skill based matchmaking as long as I can play in local lobbies. Well I can see now that the game tries to put me in east coast lobbies constantly, router doesn't let it though so it takes a few minutes to get a game.

Problem is I get into a lobby and after the game even if nobody leaves the host will change before the next game even though it doesn't say so I can see it happen. What sucks if you are on the west coast is within about an hour if you never even change lobbies the host will be east of the Mississippi. I understand there are more players on the east half of the U.S. but there are plenty of players on the west side of the U.S. that they don't have to mix west and east players.

I thought it was the games fault for a long time and they cannot be without some blame but I now believe that PSN has something to do with it. Maybe more than some of us know. Maybe someone of knowledge could enlighten the rest of us, but is it possible that PSN is part of the problem.

Someone told me once when I was on Xbox that when you go to play a game online that Xbox would tell supply the list of players that were in your region to the game which then the game would put you in any of those lobbies that Xbox told them were in your region.

Either way the U.S. is big enough to be broken down into at least 2 but better 3 regions that if you live in that region you play others only in that region unless you were in a party which would allow you to play in another region but never be host of a game in that region which would keep the host from migrating away from the other players in that lobby.

The way things work now is either I have to expand my geo filter after I am in a lobby or after 1 or 2 games my router will kick me out saying the host is out of range as it just keeps moving east. But that first game sure is nice having decent hit detection and not having to reload after every kill."

So he's saying that the router will do what it claims as long as you search for a fresh host or lobby every time you get into a match because you don't have any control over other people from a different region or outside the geo filter range joining the lobby after you are in the lobby. The problem is that you have to build up a collection of hosts that you will say if you like playing against them or if the connection was good enough for you. Now before you repeat yourselves and say gaming is better on a pc you jackass go buy one. Try to understand I'm not trying to piss anyone off here but just to give somebody else an idea of this router I myself am trying to make an informed decision on whether or not to get one this information kind of explains some of the variables to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Ok back to the point of this thread to being informative. Here's a quote from a guy that has this piece of gear.

"So I got a Netduma r1 router which allows me to see where the current host is. Let me start off by saying to those thinking about getting one that it is nice for finding games. However, that changes after every game.

I live in Washington state near the coast and have said all along that I don't mind skill based matchmaking as long as I can play in local lobbies. Well I can see now that the game tries to put me in east coast lobbies constantly, router doesn't let it though so it takes a few minutes to get a game.

Problem is I get into a lobby and after the game even if nobody leaves the host will change before the next game even though it doesn't say so I can see it happen. What sucks if you are on the west coast is within about an hour if you never even change lobbies the host will be east of the Mississippi. I understand there are more players on the east half of the U.S. but there are plenty of players on the west side of the U.S. that they don't have to mix west and east players.

I thought it was the games fault for a long time and they cannot be without some blame but I now believe that PSN has something to do with it. Maybe more than some of us know. Maybe someone of knowledge could enlighten the rest of us, but is it possible that PSN is part of the problem.

Someone told me once when I was on Xbox that when you go to play a game online that Xbox would tell supply the list of players that were in your region to the game which then the game would put you in any of those lobbies that Xbox told them were in your region.

Either way the U.S. is big enough to be broken down into at least 2 but better 3 regions that if you live in that region you play others only in that region unless you were in a party which would allow you to play in another region but never be host of a game in that region which would keep the host from migrating away from the other players in that lobby.

The way things work now is either I have to expand my geo filter after I am in a lobby or after 1 or 2 games my router will kick me out saying the host is out of range as it just keeps moving east. But that first game sure is nice having decent hit detection and not having to reload after every kill."

So he's saying that the router will do what it claims as long as you search for a fresh host or lobby every time you get into a match because you don't have any control over other people from a different region or outside the geo filter range joining the lobby after you are in the lobby. The problem is that you have to build up a collection of hosts that you will say if you like playing against them or if the connection was good enough for you. Now before you repeat yourselves and say gaming is better on a pc you jackass go buy one. Try to understand I'm not trying to piss anyone off here but just to give somebody else an idea of this router I myself am trying to make an informed decision on whether or not to get one this information kind of explains some of the variables to consider.

Well, Waffles, did you buy one in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With a accept list of 20k+ prefixes? On a 50quid router. Mikrotik have a good rep but I don't think it's that good.

Yep, even 20 dolla switches use CAM, memory does the work instead of the CPU.

• Advertisement

Well, Waffles, did you buy one in the end?

Haven't decided yet. See after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »
    Yep, even 20 dolla switches use CAM, memory does the work instead of the CPU.

Not sure it's that easy though.

On a basic level, the cpu needs to look at the packet, check the destination address, cycle through 20k entries to confirm it matches a approved entry and then keep a approved conversation in memory. And it needs to do this while doing all its other tasks for multiple conversations.

The chip in that Microtik isn't exactly the most powerful, it's only 600 hundred cycles per second with a limited number of instructions there. I know that this is a problem most high end firewalls are now facing, pushing packets against rulesets without an unreasonable delay. And they are all ASIC based now. I think the behaviour would be similar to a public AS bgp router, normal operation all fine but when it has to go through the table it ****s itself for a second or 2.

Not sure it's that easy though.

On a basic level, the cpu needs to look at the packet, check the destination address, cycle through 20k entries to confirm it matches a approved entry and then keep a approved conversation in memory. And it needs to do this while doing all its other tasks for multiple conversations.

The chip in that Microtik isn't exactly the most powerful, it's only 600 hundred cycles per second with a limited number of instructions there. I know that this is a problem most high end firewalls are now facing, pushing packets against rulesets without an unreasonable delay. And they are all ASIC based now. I think the behaviour would be similar to a public AS bgp router, normal operation all fine but when it has to go through the table it ****s itself for a second or 2.

I have no idea what you lads are talking about in layman's terms what implications would this have with the NetDuma router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I have no idea what you lads are talking about in layman's terms what implications would this have with the NetDuma router.

One or two milliseconds. I've used mikrotiks in the field, i have a few businesses and guesthouse hotspots i look after. They are fine for basic NAT but slow drastically when you start using address lists and mangle rules to connection and packet mark.

One or two milliseconds. I've used mikrotiks in the field, i have a few businesses and guesthouse hotspots i look after. They are fine for basic NAT but slow drastically when you start using address lists and mangle rules to connection and packet mark.

Ok so here's a question then what router should the netduma software use instead of the Mikrotic?

It is my understanding the router only connects to low ping hosts so why would any of that have an impact on games. For example I'm put into a lobby with 11 other players all of which have the potential to be good hosts set by the rules of the router when the match begins why would it need to keep anything in memory and introduce any sort of delay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Sorry to necro bump thread but 6 months old I figure you may be still curious.

I have my r1 net Duma 6mnts it's an amazing piece of kit. I play on ps4 and mainly destiny.
    In pvp it was OK but in recent months they have implemented a skill based priority in match making as oposed to connection based.

Now the router shines when not using George filtering I can see I'm am being matched routinely against usa or even further afield players.

When I turn on George filtering I can adjust the radius of players a I will be matched against I can also filter by ping.

The more strict I am the longer the matchmaking takes.
    However I have found a happy balance by including most of Europe.
    I find my matchmaking takes approx 1 minute longer than when not using the feature but it delivers a far better quality of match.

To the guy posting that he has the same router for a cheaper price, it is the software you are paying for.
    It is designed for gamers specifically and is incredibly simple to use it's qos and port forwarding is also simple to use.

To the poster commenting that even if you match against someone local, there ping will fluctuate based on sister using Netflix etc.

That will be the case regardless of a router, however I would point out that even if they went from a ping of 20 to 100 which would be reasonable if their traffic was heavy, it is still an improvement on some of the figures I had seen when not using the George filter.

example I was matched in a lobby with an Algerian a Fireteam of 3 Russians and a combination of east and west coast Americans. Some of these players reported a ping of over 200ms when hosting.

To the person speaking about PC gaming, it is irrelevant debate both have pros and cons.

Just my 2c and as always YMMV

Advertisement