Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaggia Classic

• 05-12-2015 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Planning on buying an esspresso machine this christmas. I've always had my eye on a Gaggia Classic, but since the new model came out, is it worth getting? Seen poor reviews of it online, from things like the lack of solenoid valve to having to remove the drip trap to fit a coffee cup. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭alec76

I'll buy second hand rather than the new model.
    Rancilio Silvia is your second option, better machine , although it'll cost you €100-200 more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Yeah it was between the Classic and Silvia. I liked the Classic because of it being significantly cheaper, but sure I've ruled the new one out after reading up a lot more about it. I've also seen that even the post '09 model Classic doesn't seem to be as good as the predecessor. I'd say I'll go for the Silvia.

Any other machines that would be worth checking out in the same kind of range as those two?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bought the new Classic over a year ago.
    Perfect. No issues. Regularly descaled.
    Wouldn't worry too much about the nay sayers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I had the Gaggia classic, but within a couple of years some plastic bits like the steam valve button started breaking. It was used daily, not abused, and regularly cleaned.

Replaced it with the Silvia, which is a vastly superior machine. The Silvia is also easily repairable at home if anything goes wrong. Pump, thermostats etc are standard parts. I investigated this as I had a pump problem, which turned out to be due to some debris that had fallen into the tank and blocked the pump. But it's good to know! I have had the Silvia about 4 years now, i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Hi

I've a classic about 5 years now, bought it second hand. Never any problems once you descale once in a while. Very easy to maintain as well. I expect mine is about 10 years old, I've read a few dodgy reviews about the newer ones as people have said above. The Silvia is a lovely machine, might look at upgrading at some point.

Have you factored in a grinder? Unless you have invested in this there is not much point in getting a much higher end machine than a classic. My wife's friend has a Silvia, she thought the Classic was far better because my coffee tasted nicer. So I went over to see was something was wrong with hers. She was using a blade grinder..... she had told me it was a burr. Got her a decent grinder and she's never looked back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement