Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for studying

Options
  • 05-12-2015 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

I can't study,I keep losing attention and just going downstairs cause I find it so boring, especially the subjects I hate (English & Spanish)
    Please any tips/ motivation will help 🙏

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Account Number

Maybe this won't work for you,but for learning off facts,I use a small reward system for myself.For example,I'd ask myself some questions from the book,and for every say 10 I get right,I'd give myself a small square of chocolate,or a 3 minute break to listen to music or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 juniorachiever

Rorok wrote: »
    I can't study,I keep losing attention and just going downstairs cause I find it so boring, especially the subjects I hate (English & Spanish)
    Please any tips/ motivation will help ðŸ™

What I do is I give my phone to my mother. Then I start studying at 4:30 but I bring a cup of tea in with me for energy. Then I have a clock in front of me and every 2 hours I go for a half hour break. Classical music helps me to concentrate aswell. And also drink plenty of water and eat fruit. :). When I study I use an a4 copy (roughly 1.99 in any garage) and I right out facts ×3 in blue and then ×3 in red and then by ×3 in green. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Find out what type of a learner you are - visual/aural/kinetic etc. Proceed from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

spurious wrote: »
    Find out what type of a learner you are - visual/aural/kinetic etc. Proceed from there.

I did one of those tests in school, 12 questions, I got 4 for visual, 4 for aural and 4 for kinetic:(

What I do is I give my phone to my mother. Then I start studying at 4:30 but I bring a cup of tea in with me for energy. Then I have a clock in front of me and every 2 hours I go for a half hour break. Classical music helps me to concentrate aswell. And also drink plenty of water and eat fruit. :). When I study I use an a4 copy (roughly 1.99 in any garage) and I right out facts ×3 in blue and then ×3 in red and then by ×3 in green. :)

I colour code my notes, black for titles, green for questions, blue for answers/facts and red for keyword meanings ( for the questions I write out stuff like "Romeo and Juliet is a tragic story because.... Then my answer in blue)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 juniorachiever

I colour code my notes, black for titles, green for questions, blue for answers/facts and red for keyword meanings ( for the questions I write out stuff like "Romeo and Juliet is a tragic story because.... Then my answer in blue)
    your so organised wow!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I did one of those tests in school, 12 questions, I got 4 for visual, 4 for aural and 4 for kinetic:(

An all rounder. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Tailor your study accordingly : half an hour writing (with your colour coding etc...), then stand and pace while you speak out the lesson to yourself (mumble if you wish, tap beat with your hand against your leg if you think that'll help...).

Chop lessons in manageable chunks, write on a record card or copy as you already do, then record yourself reading it on your phone. Listen to it several times in headphones while you pace around. Even if you hate listening to your own voice, it's still worth doing the recording bit !

If you have access to a laptop, type your lessons in Word, or if that's boring and you have it on laptop, try Power Point. Add lovely backgrounds and relevant pics, pretend you are doing it to teach someone else about your subject. The challenge is not to let yourself drift into browsing the internet I suppose with this one. Print if you wish for later use !

Again a technology based idea that requires strong self discipline, time, and dedication to the topic at hand : identify keywords, then you tube them, see what comes up, and watch a selection of relevant videos/tutorials. Lots and lots of relevant videos for languages on YouTube : "clothes in Spanish" "past times Spanish", etc...

Good luck !

Edit : when I was studying, I used to love using special stationery, like highlighters, gel pens, etc... special notebooks, coloured cards, that I normally wouldn't use. It just added a little element of satisfaction to study time. I'd buy a pack of highlighter s beforehand especially for a particular subject in the poundshop, then at least it's one bit that you're looking forward to when you have a study time planned for that weekend. I had a ritual where I had to set up my workspace into the perfect study spot : strong lamp onto my copy/book, not too warm, not too cold, hair pulled back into a non distracting style, bottle of water at hand.

If you have access to a laptop, type your lessons in Word, or if that's boring and you have it on laptop, try Power Point. Add lovely backgrounds and relevant pics, pretend you are doing it to teach someone else about your subject. The challenge is not to let yourself drift into browsing the internet I suppose with this one. Print if you wish for later use !

Again a technology based idea that requires strong self discipline, time, and dedication to the topic at hand : identify keywords, then you tube them, see what comes up, and watch a selection of relevant videos/tutorials. Lots and lots of relevant videos for languages on YouTube : "clothes in Spanish" "past times Spanish", etc...

Good luck !

We use Ipads in my school so we already have projects with pictures and designs, I have a lot of problems using youtube for studying because ussally the videos are too fast or you can't hear them speak

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

We use Ipads in my school so we already have projects with pictures and designs, I have a lot of problems using youtube for studying because ussally the videos are too fast or you can't hear them speak

One good channel for clear, well recorded, and fun (in a quirky sort of way) language videos, is The Angry Family. I use it for French, but I think they have Spanish too. It's not too fast ! Try searching Spanish The Angry Family.

I think it's different when you do the project just for yourself though, you know, not for a teacher.
    Video scribe or same type of doodling presentation software are fun to use too, there's free trials. You know, they're the presentations /videos with a hand that writes and draws things. You don't have to do the same thing every time ! You could do one chapter one way, then another chapter a different way...

• Advertisement
Advertisement