Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy ghee?

• 05-12-2015 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭

Was searching for ghee (clarified butter)today. Neither Dunnes nor Tesco had even heard of it, never mind stocking it.

Anyone know where I might locate it in Limerick? Supposed to be healthier and tastier for cooking and frying than traditional oils.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

tippman1 wrote: »
    Was searching for ghee (clarified butter)today. Neither Dunnes nor Tesco had even heard of it, never mind stocking it.

Anyone know where I might locate it in Limerick? Supposed to be healthier and tastier for cooking and frying than traditional oils.

Oriental shop on Henry Street might have it. It's at the mount Kenneth end of Henry Street.
    I usually pick it up from the green saffron guy in the market but it's too late for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭dmc17

You can also make it yourself from unsalted butter which you'll get in Tesco or Dunnes. Made it before myself. Very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SeanPuddin_

The eastern shop in bakers place have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I buy clarified butter in a Polish shop (albeit in Galway). It's called "masło klarowane".
    I'm sure there are plenty of Polish shops in Limerick, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭McSween

I usually store it in bags in the fridge. It is full of ghee bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Any biggish town, by the docks. Can't buy it, but can rent by the hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It really is very easy to make tippman, I only ever make it for hollandaise sauce but it only takes minutes and I believe it can be stored for ages in the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

It really is very easy to make tippman, I only ever make it for hollandaise sauce but it only takes minutes and I believe it can be stored for ages in the fridge.

Thanks Swiper, might give it a go tomorrow. Read up on it and straightforward enough - even for me of limited culinary skills.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's really easy to make once you get the hang of it, bit like white sauce for lasagne, seems daunting the first time but once you've done it once you'll never buy it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Withrax

Plenty of gee in Limerick. Just look around:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

If you decide to buy rather than make OP I just spotted it in "Quik Pick", it's a convenience store near the old stand on Henry st and I think it's open 24 hours.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Withrax wrote: »
    Plenty of gee in Limerick. Just look around:pac:

Ha ha, I think our version of Ghee is different to this ;)

First effort today. Small amount made but will see how this is for cooking before going on to bigger things.

12345627_10206274616636586_8092628506916102149_n.jpg?oh=6b23e5913e92104e6e5272f00514bcf9&oe=56E45671

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Try Ma Ryans

leakyboots wrote: »
    Try Ma Ryans

It's better havin' it in the comfort of your own home!!! :D

Fair play to ya tippman, what are your plans for it.
    I know you like a nice steak (or bog standard anyway:pac:, you know what I mean:D) so you could whip up a lovely béarnaise sauce, or hollandaise for your eggs. I know it's used in indian cooking etc but I've never bothered with that as olive or rapeseed oil do the same job.

I think the gee jokes have been old since the second post:rolleyes:

Fair play to ya tippman, what are your plans for it.
    I know you like a nice steak (or bog standard anyway:pac:, you know what I mean:D) so you could whip up a lovely béarnaise sauce, or hollandaise for your eggs. I know it's used in indian cooking etc but I've never bothered with that as olive or rapeseed oil do the same job.

I think the gee jokes have been old since the second post:rolleyes:

Well, I'm not a skilled cook or anything, and I don't fry very much but I did want to try a few lamb curries, casseroles etc. where browning the meat is a pre-requisite so as I hear the experts extol the virtues of ghee for better flavour and possibly less trans-fats, I decided to go for it.

First effort is underway as I speak. A sort of beef stew with various ingredients. I'll report back in a few days:

Meanwhile:

12311278_10206276394961043_4249610746723293689_n.jpg?oh=b19c54b237ed54fac738965d044862b9&oe=56E7B711

Looks good, let me give you a tip while you're in the culinary zone. Look up gremolata if you don't know what it is, make some up (garlic, parsley, lemon zest) and spoon it liberally onto your bowl of stew. Takes a few minutes but really makes a difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I thought I'd clicked on the cookery forum there for a minute, that looks top notch

• Advertisement
Advertisement