Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - Ceiling too low for Attic Conversion

Options
  • 05-12-2015 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone could give me a quick bit of advise, have not seen this being asked apologies if it has been before.

I am living in a semi detached house, neighbour on one side, nothing to the rear or other side of the house, and was really thinking about an attic conversion to the rear only for one / two bedrooms if possible.

The issue is when i go up to the attic and stand in the tallest part..its 5 foot!! Not nearly high enough. I am told that it is possible to extend the slope of the roof to extend the height of the roof and make an attic conversion possible but that it would require planning permission.

Just wondering if any architects out there could verify if an attic conversion is possible in my case, if permission is required and the chances of being successful with it & finally any rough idea on costs???

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Get to 50 posts and put up some pics, maybe a sketch of where the 5 feet is.
    Permission required if u change roof profile.
    As is a 3rd storey fire regs more onerous.
    Basic conversion if roof not touched c20 k or so
    More complex, roif change, higher finish etc, more mula

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Zenga wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering if someone could give me a quick bit of advise, have not seen this being asked apologies if it has been before.

I am living in a semi detached house, neighbour on one side, nothing to the rear or other side of the house, and was really thinking about an attic conversion to the rear only for one / two bedrooms if possible.

The issue is when i go up to the attic and stand in the tallest part..its 5 foot!! Not nearly high enough. I am told that it is possible to extend the slope of the roof to extend the height of the roof and make an attic conversion possible but that it would require planning permission.

Just wondering if any architects out there could verify if an attic conversion is possible in my case, if permission is required and the chances of being successful with it & finally any rough idea on costs???

Thanks in advance
    Get an arch/arch tech to visit your house and advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Zenga

Ok fair enough thanks, was just wondering if there was any general advice regarding the issue. But fair enough I will get onto an Architect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

Zenga wrote:

Same problem here, ours would be just shy of 6ft in centre when floor is raised and ceiling lowered to accommodate additional beams/strengthening existing beams. Have been quoted between 11-13k to get job done but a number of builders have advised it will add no value to house as will not meet building regs.
    Re changing roof, I also suggested this or a dormer and was advised that this would be an awful lot of hassle and expense for what we'd gain. So it's back to the drawing board for us.
    I would take the advice above about getting an architect if this is something you are set on doing.
    We are considering spending more and extending the back of the house as this will add value in the long term.
    Good luck with it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Zenga wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks in advance
    Danielle D wrote: »
    Same problem here, ours would be just shy of 6ft in centre when floor is raised and ceiling lowered to accommodate additional beams/strengthening existing beams. Have been quoted between 11-13k to get job done but a number of builders have advised it will add no value to house as will not meet building regs.
    Re changing roof, I also suggested this or a dormer and was advised that this would be an awful lot of hassle and expense for what we'd gain. So it's back to the drawing board for us.
    I would take the advice above about getting an architect if this is something you are set on doing.
    We are considering spending more and extending the back of the house as this will add value in the long term.
    Good luck with it!

An attic conversion done properly will add value to your house, no question.

You cannot change the ridge height or profile without planning permission. You can add a flat roof former or pitch roof dormer with planning also.

Currently involved in one where the hip is been extended and the gable wall increased, 3 velux, €25k. That's before soft furnishings.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote:
    An attic conversion done properly will add value to your house, no question.

I'm sure it would, I was advised that spending 13k on a standard conversion would not add value as it would simply be glorified storage space

I'm sure it would, I was advised that spending 13k on a standard conversion would not add value as it would simply be glorified storage space

For 13k I'd imagine you are getting very little with regards to protected staircase, escapeable window and landing so it may be correct.

We would have to see the plan/layout tbh

Are there any neighboring properties with converted attics that you can have a look at?

kceire wrote:
    Are there any neighboring properties with converted attics that you can have a look at?

Yeah looked at neighbours who did standard conversion and while floor space is great I (5ft6) can only stand in centre of room and take a step or so to either side before hitting the slope. We need it for a kids room which it would be suitable for until they got to mid teens but can't justify spending that money if a bit more would get a proper space. Already in negative equity so can't afford to lose any more on this property

Yeah looked at neighbours who did standard conversion and while floor space is great I (5ft6) can only stand in centre of room and take a step or so to either side before hitting the slope. We need it for a kids room which it would be suitable for until they got to mid teens but can't justify spending that money if a bit more would get a proper space. Already in negative equity so can't afford to lose any more on this property

Adding the dormer would give that full height across much more of a floor area.
    Where are you based? Maybe some nearby houses have done a dormer also?

kceire wrote:
    Adding the dormer would give that full height across much more of a floor area. Where are you based? Maybe some nearby houses have done a dormer also?

North County Dublin, in relatively new estate (2008) so no dormers as yet. I'm sure the neighbours behind wouldn't be too impressed either as two levels would then be overlooking their bungalow

• Advertisement
Advertisement