Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭meepins

McGregor via Decision
    Finally and most importantly this is not near the best ever achievement in Irish sport and if you think it is you're unhinged

Of course it isn't but didn't you call the Irish fans scum a few posts ago?
    I know it's all the rage to hate your own people these days but I think it's someone else here that's unhinged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

McGregor via Decision
    The lovely folk at Sherdog are still making excuses... great forum that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

McGregor via Decision
    Bit harsh to call Dana an idiot. Most of his decisions at least make sense. He promised Croke Park to McGregor if he beat Aldo. Plus a chance to break the attendance record for UFC.

The big problem is the timezone, I guess we'll see.

i'm just not a fan of some of his decisions but i respect what he has done. If he doesn't stick to his word on this though idiot will be the kindest word i can attribute to him!!
    imagine the scenes in Dublin that night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

McGregor via Submission
    Conor McGregor has a grizzly bear carpet in his room.
    The bear isn't dead, it's just afraid to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

And the bollocks has begun...

"boo, I stayed up til 6am for a 13 second fight"
    Suck it up. It's MMA. It happens. Ireland has an undisputed world champion.

"Ah he's lucky the punch landed because Aldo caught him and would have finished him"
    Yeah Aldo caught him so cleanly that McGregor wasn't fit to follow up instantly with 2 precise hammers fists right on the button.

"Irish fans were scum because they booed Aldo"
    They booed Aldo because he was a bad loser. If he had given respect to Conor and shook his hand they would have given him a cheer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

McGregor via Decision
    e92335i wrote: »
    Tonight along with last nights fight proving boxing as an art prevails among the rest.

Nolan or Stokes (on screen on last nights 69kg tg4 all ireland elite boxing championship final fyi) would have taken aldo in that fight tonight as it played out.

Aldo would have taken them down within 5 seconds and put them to sleep within 10 FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

when is the post fight press conference

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Byron Low Topcoat

Aldo via Submission
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    ya but who wants to see a rematch? not me, a drunk from coppers would of put up a better fight than Aldo. if it had of gone 2 or 3 good rounds with nothing in it and them mcgregor knocked him out, a rematch would then be in demand. the ufc didn't want a 13 second knockout.

most people will want a rematch one of the best champions the ufc has had will and should get one and id hardly be expecting another 13 second lightning does not strike twice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

It was a fight. It may not have lasted the rounds but one man overcame another as was his intention.

I think you missed the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

e92335i wrote: »
    Tonight along with last nights fight proving boxing as an art prevails among the rest.

Nolan or Stokes (on screen on last nights 69kg tg4 all ireland elite boxing championship final fyi) would have taken aldo in that fight tonight as it played out.

Yawn, and if it was a soccer match my nephew could have beaten him ; )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

McGregor via Decision
    I can't stop smiling, God bless you Conor for all the happiness you bring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

meepins wrote: »
    Of course it isn't but didn't you call the Irish fans scum a few posts ago?
    I know it's all the rage to hate your own people these days but I think it's someone else here that's unhinged.

The ones who were booing Aldo are IMO scum yes. And also there was some of them booing him even before he started to speak so don't give me the comment that he supposedly said something offensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Does anyone have any idea what Aldo was attempting? Leading with his right and trying to follow up with a left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

when is the post fight press conference

Any moment. Its pending on the UFC youtube channel

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

If you watch the replays he's out at 4:50, a 10 year unbeaten streak ended in 10 seconds.

Cracking stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

McGregor via Decision
    I kept thinking what if he did a Snatch one-punch Mickey, made it even more mind blowing to see it actually happen. Those 13 seconds were remarkable, and McGregor predicted everything perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

lol

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

warpdrive wrote: »
    A rematch in Croke Park would surely be a huge opportunity for the UFC, no? I just wonder how they'd work around the time difference...I'm sure the Americans could get over having to watch one event in the early evening rather than at night

The problem is timing. Afaik. 11pm is the cut off for an event. Which would mean 6pm new york time 3pm las vegas. Which means the event would start at 2pm new yotk 11am las vegas. Not including any prelims.

Very few ppv sales that early.

The gate is only worth a fraction of the ppv sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

McGregor via Decision
    CWFezSAWUAAaTAI.jpg

All gone(for now).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Byron Low Topcoat

Aldo via Submission
    €17.99 and waiting up until that hour. For that. Fcuk you UFC.

then dont watch any fight sports thats how it happens :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Aldo via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Essien wrote: »
    Aldo's right, it wasn't a fight.

A fight would imply some degree of competition.

That was just a fella getting knocked out.

Well played Conor you feckin legend!
    fight
    fʌɪt/Submit
    verb

take part in a violent struggle involving the exchange of physical blows or the use of weapons.
    "the men were fighting"
    synonyms: brawl, come to blows, exchange blows, attack/assault each other, hit/punch each other; More

struggle to overcome, eliminate, or prevent.
    "a churchman who has dedicated his life to fighting racism"
    synonyms: oppose, contest, contend with, confront, challenge, combat, dispute, object to, quarrel with, argue against/with; More
    noun

a violent confrontation or struggle.
    "he'd got into a fight with some bouncers outside a club"
    synonyms: brawl, fracas, melee, row, rumpus, confrontation, skirmish, sparring match, exchange, struggle, tussle, scuffle, altercation, wrangle, scrum, clash, disturbance; More

It was a fight. It may not have lasted the rounds but one man overcame another as was his intention.

QED
    MMA has some rules. It's a regulated contest. Tonight wasn't a fight, it was precision and timing. The match before it was a fight. McGregor v Aldo wasn't. QED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Aldo via Submission
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    ya but who wants to see a rematch? not me, a drunk from coppers would of put up a better fight than Aldo. if it had of gone 2 or 3 good rounds with nothing in it and them mcgregor knocked him out, a rematch would then be in demand. the ufc didn't want a 13 second knockout.

See stuff like this is nonsense.

Aldo got caught with a straight left in the chin from a man with the pound for pound heaviest hands in MMA. Nobody is staying on their feet if that connects. Aldo rushed him, threw a wild punch and got caught, it could have easily happened the other way around.

It's fighting, anyone can get dropped at any time by a fighter with power if they connect cleanly on the chin. This doesn't make Aldo a bad fighter suddenly, he's still the same guy who cleared out the division up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Withrax

It would have been class to see a full round between the two of them tho

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

shrewdness wrote: »
    CWFezSAWUAAaTAI.jpg

All gone(for now).

Undoubtedly the best set of champions the company ever had, some real genuine draws amongst that group.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭meepins

McGregor via Decision
    nocoverart wrote: »
    The lovely folk at Sherdog are still making excuses... great forum that.

Of course. Certain types of people will never change their mind when confronted with the evidence that their beliefs are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Canadel wrote: »
    MMA has some rules. It's a regulated contest. Tonight wasn't a fight, it was precision and timing. The match before it was a fight. McGregor v Aldo wasn't. QED

Lucky we don't need your validation on what was an incredible performance by conor in the biggest fight of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Aldo via Submission
    The reaction of some is actually hilarious, if there were a knock-out like that in a boxing title-fight nobody would be complaining about waiting up and been robbed of their PPV view. Get over it people, this is serious business.

That was an exhilarating as it gets... the speed in that vid that was posted here is frightening, nearly cant see the punch til slow-mo...and he's Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

McGregor via Decision
    cronin_j wrote: »
    Any moment. Its pending on the UFC youtube channel

It'll be pending for a while I'd say. Conor's just after leaving the panel on Fox Sports in only his shorts and the belt! Unless they start early and he's there on his own for the last 20 minutes or so, they did that after 189.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Aldo via Decision
    shrewdness wrote: »
    CWFezSAWUAAaTAI.jpg

All gone(for now).

Jesus. Iconic picture. The old guard, great find. Makes me sad to see life changing so quickly.

Advertisement