Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I agree, but Ronda still deserves the rematch.

i know im just looking at it from a demand point of view, if those two rematches go ahead i wont bother staying up to watch them, that could just be me though, i will be betting on a holm victory though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor via Decision
    Pro's react to Conor's victory.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/12/twitter-reacts-to-conor-mcgregors-13-second-knockout-of-jose-aldo-at-ufc-193

Tim Kennedys is pricelss.

''Dana just **** himself and came at the same time''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Aldo via Submission
    the guy likely watched one fight, tonight was a bloody excellent card that ended with a new irish champion couldn't have gone better really

Best nigh of fights I can remember in a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

meepins wrote: »
    I didn't, so what are you talking about? They're perfectly entitled to cheer their man and boo the opponent.

The fight was over and Aldo was obviously in pain. If it was the opposite situation and McGregor got booed people here wouldn't be too happy and they'd have much greater reason to boo McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

Does that include the percentage of the PPV buyrate? I think that's where the likes of McGregor and Rousey earn most of their money. He should be getting much more than $500,000 given that the PPV probably sold around 1m buys, most of which were because of Conor.

No that's just considering his base pay and winners bonus, so the PPV add on will be huge! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

user2011 wrote: »
    How can you have a fight with a ko that didn't have physical blows in it or the rest like a betting underdog (overcoming) ko'ing a champ who hadn't been beaten in 10 years?
    It was an execution more than it was a fight. And a perfectly timed execution at that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Im glad I avoided the forum tonight and just watched the card on its own seeing some of the nonsense being posted since the fight ended.

Rockhold was a beast, great fight and well deserved.

Conor did what he said he would do, love him or hate him. He predicts deez tinnggs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

First fight he didn't start with a kick and look what happens:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Aldo via Submission
    The fight was over and Aldo was obviously in pain. If it was the opposite situation and McGregor got booed people here wouldn't be too happy and they'd have much greater reason to boo McGregor

Jesus let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Does that include the percentage of the PPV buyrate? I think that's where the likes of McGregor and Rousey earn most of their money. He should be getting much more than $500,000 given that the PPV probably sold around 1m buys, most of which were because of Conor.

I read before that headliners can get as much as 90c per ppv buy for the first 500,000 buys.

And anything up yo $5 per buy after. 500,000 buys is where the ufc has hit it's operating targets. Anything more is cash money. So the bigger cut is justified. The more pr you do to sell it the closer you are to the $5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Aldo via Decision
    Why are there so many begrudges out there?

I feel this is a big problem with Ireland as a whole, there are so many of us willing to put others down, just cause they can't achieve anything great themselves.

Credit where credit is due, Connor is an amazing Athlete the likes we have rarely seen before.

He says what he does, he is an inspiration to us all that you can achieve anything if you are fully committed, put in hard work and totally believe in yourself.

I feel very sorry for Aldo, 10 year UFC champion he should be given the respect he deserves. It's terrible for him to go out like that after such a reign.

However I give full credit to McGregor and almost regret I didn't bet the house on him when he said he would win in the first round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

McGregor via Decision
    Essien wrote: »
    I think you missed the point.

No, I know you weren't contesting it's legitimacy of it being a fight or at least a contest! I was just backing up what you said in a way to the moaners saying he was lucky or his title isn't legitimate as its length didn't justify their ppv fee!! Get me? !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

They boo'ed his entrance too. I heard the Irish crowd doing that in the last McGregor fight too. Seems to me it's just "Booo, opponent... booo." People think they're at a damn panto. Makes me cringe.

Of course they booed the entrance. There has been smack talked for over a year between the 2 so the fans will boo one and cheer the other. It's normal and does not make anyone scum.

If Aldo had been gracious in defeat and still been booed THEN it would have bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭meepins

McGregor via Decision
    darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It would be disappointing to have to wait another age for him to fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Firstly I thought McGregor would win. Secondly I wanted McGregor to win. Finally and most importantly this is not near the best ever achievement in Irish sport and if you think it is you're unhinged

In fairness not many other professional Irish athletes, team or individual, have been world champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Byron Low Topcoat

Aldo via Submission
    Terrlock wrote: »
    Why are there so many begrudges out there?

I feel this is a big problem with Ireland as a whole, there are so many of us willing to put others down, just cause they can't achieve anything great themselves.

Credit where credit is due, Connor is an amazing Athlete the likes we have rarely seen before.

He says what he does, he is an inspiration to us all that you can achieve anything if you are fully committed, put in hard work and totally believe in yourself.

I feel very sorry for Aldo, 10 year UFC champion he should be given the respect he deserves. It's terrible for him to go out like that after such a reign.

However I give full credit to McGregor and almost regret I didn't bet the house on him when he said he would win in the first round.

who has been begrudging the issue seems to be that unless someone says mcgregor is the greatest anything ever they are a "hater" pretty much everyone on here is happy mcgregor won

Jesus let it go.

Erm, somebody quoted my post and in turn I replied. That's generally how forums work mate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Aldo via Decision
    He got lucky in his last fight and got lucky again in this one as far as I'd be concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

darced wrote: »
    Aldo vs Edgar around March winner gets Conor in July?

No! Dammit no more, Edgar has done everything asked of him, he's jumped through the hoops, last night he went out there and he dismantled Mendes in stunning fashion. Frankie Edgar is the rightful number 1 contender, and should prove to be Conor'so greatest challenge, Conor's mix of styles and power has been a question that nobody in the UFC has yet solved, I believe Edgar has the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

McGregor via Submission
    Bit disappointed Conor didn't thank God to be honest, should have kept the theme going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He got lucky in his last fight and got lucky again in this one as far as I'd be concerned.

He won't be the real champ til he beats Undertaker at Wrestemania shur

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

In writing a strongly worded email to the lord mayor in Dublin!

I wanna see Conor be welcomed home in Dublin on a stage, nice screen showing highlights give him the key to Dublin or some award. We do it for Dublin teams and what not, Conor deserves this

We should be celebrating this and we should be saying thank you Conor

In fairness not many other professional Irish athletes, team or individual, have been world champion.

Andy Lee is at the moment and I would suggest that there is greater competition in middleweight boxing than there is in featherweight UFC. Also lots of others in the past that I can't be bothered going through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Thanks now see ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Just when I write this letter I hope my grammar is better and do it sober

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

McGregor via Submission

Yeah, that damn lucky one punch KO. Aldo should have had a stronger face :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Aldo via Decision
    Axwell wrote: »
    Im glad I avoided the forum tonight and just watched the card on its own seeing some of the nonsense being posted since the fight ended.

Rockhold was a beast, great fight and well deserved.

Conor did what he said he would do, love him or hate him. He predicts deez tinnggs!

Same, made an effort to avoid the internet during the main card, well at least once Yoel started fighting and I'm glad I did. In fairness I only started posted on boards MMA recently so I might be classed into that userbase too but I've been following the sport for quite a while now, well since the Lesnar days, yes I'm from that bandwagon :p

Bloody ****ing happy Conor won. Shocked it happened that quickly but I knew he had the potential to win. So in that sense I'm more shocked that Weidman lost. The guy was in contention for the GOAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

One punch man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

McGregor via Decision
    I didn't see the Irish fans lay out a red carpet for Aldo or cheer him on as he entered........what a bunch of scumbags!! I hear some of them have been spotted celebrating on the streets and apparently they even are saying good things about that bold boy Conor for hurting poor Jose. A horrid nation we are!!

God there are some fools about!!

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Of course they booed the entrance. There has been smack talked for over a year between the 2 so the fans will boo one and cheer the other. It's normal and does not make anyone scum.

If Aldo had been gracious in defeat and still been booed THEN it would have bad form.

He was being booed before he spoke by a small number of people. Also his comments were being translated so he could have been misinterpreted

Advertisement