Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

ejabrod wrote: »
    Why would Aldo fight Frankie Edgar now for the interim belt? :confused:

Would Edgar not be no 3 now with Aldo number 2? My thinking is that they would fight off for a crack at Mcgregor similar to the way Chad and Mcgregor fought for a crack at Aldo perhaps albeit without a belt being awarded?

py2006 wrote: »
    linky no worky

Cheers. i edited and linked the article instead which contains pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

McGregor via Decision
    Would Edgar not be no 3 now with Aldo number 2?

That wouldn't be for the interim belt.
    My thinking is that they would fight off for a crack at Mcgregor similar to the way Chad and Mcgregor fought for a crack at Aldo?

Aldo pulled out of the initial fight due to injury.

ejabrod wrote: »
    That wouldn't be for the interim belt.

To be fair i see that now. The interim title was awarded because Jose couldn't fulfill the July 11th bout due to injury. I suppose it was awarded to establish the number 1 contender or would be champion if Aldo opted out again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

McGregor via Decision
    aap_20151213_170838_7849_1b6q3gf-1b6q3k9.jpg?x=656&sig=WTIUT5cEgpNH_gJqQxnbZQ--

#facerearranged

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote: »
    ...]

Caption for that pic

Takeover complete :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

McGregor via Decision
    I presume the camera is for transparency sake, although Aldo's coach covers up the camera with a towel for about an hour before the fight, which probably doesn't help the PED rumours around him.
    just happened to be the same coach who said juiced fighters are good for the sport and put on better shows than non-juiced ones.

Why would he be juicing an hour before the fight? If he was juicing he'd be doing it during his camp to boost recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision
    Would Edgar not be no 3 now with Aldo number 2? My thinking is that they would fight off for a crack at Mcgregor similar to the way Chad and Mcgregor fought for a crack at Aldo perhaps albeit without a belt being awarded?

If it was my decision I'd definitely go down that route and set up the 155 challenge for conor in the mean time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

More of an ifs buts and maybe but did anyone notice that cut he got in the Mendes fight over his right eye open up again from the one blow Aldo got in (albeit unconscious).

I'm curious if this cut will be an issue going forward it's in a very tender area with thin skin.

I can't help but think had Aldo not been knocked out he might have went on to win with a stoppage.

Whoever he faces next it will almost certainly be a weak point to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

McGregor beat Mendes on the floor and besides Aldo is not that type of fighter.

I'm no expert - but McGregor didn't beat Mendes on the floor. He survived being on the floor for long periods, but was being beaten up down there. It was only when he got out and back to his feet that he really punished Mendes, and the knocked him out.

• Advertisement

McGregor via Decision
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    More of an ifs buts and maybe but did anyone notice that cut he got in the Mendes fight over his right eye open up again from the one blow Aldo got in (albeit unconscious).

I'm curious if this cut will be an issue going forward it's in a very tender area with thin skin.

I can't help but think had Aldo not been knocked out he might have went on to win with a stoppage.

was talking about it in one of the backstage interviews, reopened it in a clash of heads training soon after was done originally and basically didnt get it stitched properly, and to be fair the one jose caught him with was a fair scelp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

iwillhtfu wrote: »

he spoke about it in an interview after the fight. It was reopened in a clash of heads in the gym, he said the patch up after the clash of heads wasn't great and he's going to get a proper job done on it now.

I'm no expert - but McGregor didn't beat Mendes on the floor. He survived being on the floor for long periods, but was being beaten up down there. It was only when he got out and back to his feet that he really punished Mendes, and the knocked him out.

I should rephrase my original comment because if Conor didnt get up off the floor he was toast. My point was that Mendes tried to drag him down to his level but thankfully it didn't work. Mcgregor managed to get up and beat him in spite of his grounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I'm not a big fan of UFC but I'm looking at how easy McGregor is knocking out guys with one clean punch makes me wonder whether he's a hard hitter or they have glass jaws.

I wonder how he would fare with his punch power at 66kg in boxing where there is much more money to be made. Would Pacquiao, Mayweather or even Bradley, Broner etc keel over with one punch?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Aldo via Submission
    Hannibal wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of UFC but I'm looking at how easy McGregor is knocking out guys with one clean punch makes me wonder whether he's a hard hitter or they have glass jaws.

I wonder how he would fare with his punch power at 66kg in boxing where there is much more money to be made. Would Pacquiao, Mayweather or even Bradley, Broner etc keel over with one punch?

4oz gloves make a huge difference. He is definitely a hard hitter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Boxers use bigger gloves with more cushioning, that's why they don't have many 1st round ko's

McGregor via Decision

precision beats power!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

How would Wayne Rooney fare in a hurling match against Brian O'Driscoll?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Aldo via Submission

Caged or uncaged? After the way Rooney went down vs Bardsley I can't see him lasting long vs a hurley.

UFC is becoming more mainstream and money is increasing. There was very few household names if any a couple of years ago.

The whole 'how would he fare in another sport' argument is pointless really. Look at it this way, how would Mayweather cope with the likes of Aldo or McGregor's kicks to the leg?

• Advertisement

According to the video on this article he'd lose :P

http://www.independent.ie/sport/leftfield/check-out-brian-odriscoll-and-paul-mcgraths-hurling-skills-in-charity-video-30779489.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I know very little about this 'sport'. I don't know the rules either. I saw the 13 seconds of the eh ... fight and I wondered did McGregor even touch him at all? Yer man seemed to go down like a big baby. And what is this punching someone in the face when they are down business? Is that allowed? is that fair?

McGregor looked skeletal. He looked as if you could blow him off the ring yourself. He must eh ... punch very weakly with what little weight I saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

McGregor via Decision
    Some people are really clutching at straws to undermine conors win. Face it lads mcgregor is here to stay.

Boxers use bigger gloves with more cushioning, that's why they don't have many 1st round ko's

As young Joe Joyce said to Paddy Barnes and the Belfast boys and co on a youtube video "inside the ring with your little sponge gloves..or outside" :D

McGregor via Decision
    bobbyss wrote: »
    I know very little about this 'sport'. I don't know the rules either. I saw the 13 seconds of the eh ... fight and I wondered did McGregor even touch him at all? Yer man seemed to go down like a big baby. And what is this punching someone in the face when they are down business? Is that allowed? is that fair?

McGregor looked skeletal. He looked as if you could blow him off the ring yourself. He must eh ... punch very weakly with what little weight I saw.

nice try buddy

bobbyss wrote: »

Ah here, ill refer you to the pic in this post again, no he never touched him. Aldo's jaw is only wobbling like jelly :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98065472&postcount=1867

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Despite a few hours kip, I still can't fathom that fight at all. I'll be watching it over and over again. Just mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

UFC is becoming more mainstream and money is increasing. There was very few household names if any a couple of years ago.

The whole 'how would he fare in another sport' argument is pointless really. Look at it this way, how would Mayweather cope with the likes of Aldo or McGregor's kicks to the leg?
    I know boxers would struggle against kicks etc but I was just wondering about punch power. The gloves explanation makes sense.

How would you fare in another sports mostly is a pointless argument but when it comes to being hit then they're in the same area to assess whether you would crumble with one punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor via Decision
    Andre 3000 wrote: »
    Since when is Aldo just a "good littleun"? Aldo is the best current active fighter yet he's only a "good littleun"? And Aldo is only 2 inches smaller, not a massive amount at all.

I don't stand corrected, but I will stand by what I said.....McGregor is physically too big for this level of opponent, Edgar will go the same way absolutely no doubt about it

he had a 4" reach advantage on Aldo that's big, 8" reach advantage on Mendes that's huge....and Edgar is arguably smaller again

• Advertisement

I know boxers would struggle against kicks etc but I was just wondering about punch power. The gloves explanation makes sense.

How would you fare in another sports mostly is a pointless argument but when it comes to being hit then they're in the same area to assess whether you would crumble with one punch.

UFC is multi skilled though so they probably dont spend the time working on putting the power and intensity into one factor when there is so many to cover.

Advertisement