Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

First off I am delighted for Conor and Irish MMA , great result for them both tonight.

I am a real blow in to MMA ,I know next to nothing about it , but tonight had me thinking .
    With two (I am told) all time greats and first ballot hall of famers decimated with a simple enough left cross inside a month ,does it call into question the validity of the sport ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

bobbyss wrote: »
    Nice try?? Buddy??? I don't understand what you mean. I don't think it is fair to hit someone when they are down. It is cowardly and is nothing to be proud of. I have heard McGregor blowing his mouth off recently and wondered who he was. When I saw the clip of yesterday's eh ...fight I thought to myself what a load of cobblers. Handbags.
    part of MMA is fighting on the ground.
    you go until the ref stops the fight or its clear that the opponent can't intelligently protect themselves. you don't wait and check if someone is OK when a split second of hesitation matters.
    McGregor was perfectly above-board and any MMA fighter would do the same.

clearly you aren't familiar with the sport or its rules at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision
    part of MMA is fighting on the ground.
    you go until the ref stops the fight or its clear that the opponent can't intelligently protect themselves. you don't wait and check if someone is OK when a split second of hesitation matters.
    McGregor was perfectly above-board and any MMA fighter would do the same.

clearly you aren't familiar with the sport or its rules at all.

or youre trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Aldo via Submission
    First off I am delighted for Conor and Irish MMA , great result for them both tonight.

I am a real blow in to MMA ,I know next to nothing about it , but tonight had me thinking .
    With two (I am told) all time greats and first ballot hall of famers decimated with a simple enough left cross inside a month ,does it call into question the validity of the sport ?

Why do you think that? Boxing has many such fights in the past and no one has really questioned that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

jimmii wrote: »
    Why do you think that? Boxing has many such fights in the past and no one has really questioned that at all.

I am not sure you have any of the greats of Boxing decimated so simply before .

Bar maybe a Tyson v Buster , but that was as much about things outside the ring.

• Advertisement

bur wrote: »
    . I hope Conor fights as often as he says he will.

Realistically it just boils down to wear and tear.
    If you're in bruising battles then it doesn't matter what he wants.

Given last nights fight though he could clearly go again very soon.

He made a point about enjoying the moment more in the build up to this.
    With that in mind and given his new found status it's not wise to try rush through fighters as the rein might only come once and he should look to fight at a champs rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Frankie edgar next..another ko inbound

Aldo via Submission
    I am not sure you have any of the greats of Boxing decimated so simply before .

Bar maybe a Tyson v Buster , but that was as much about things outside the ring.

It is more likely in MMA for sure just the nature of the game. 4oz gloves make a huge difference.

Tyson v Spinks would probably be the closest its going to happen in any combat sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

McGregor via Decision
    The audio from McGregor's corner during the KO is something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Aldo via Submission
    would love to see conor step up and take on someone like pettis
    either that or frankie would be great

on the other hand if khabib ever comes back...getting a bit ahead of myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

mailburner wrote: »
    would love to see conor step up and take on someone like pettis
    either that or frankie would be great

on the other hand if khabib ever comes back...getting a bit ahead of myself :D

Pettis us not a step up. If Conor fights at 155 it's for a title against cowboy or Rda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Aldo via Submission
    Standman wrote: »

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Pettis us not a step up. If Conor fights at 155 it's for a title against cowboy or Rda.

He looses his reach advantage but apart from that it wouldn't be that different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

McGregor via Decision
    Link?

There's an option to listen to it on the official ppv stream, don't know where to get it elsewhere. Might be on youtube somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Genuinely. Do we need to have two threads for events mc gregor is on. One for people who watch mma. One for people who watch mc gregors fights.

Some what like the game of thrones forums. Two threads each show. One for book readers, one for non book readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Aldo via Decision
    Long time lurker who knows SFA about MMA, obviously as my name is on the top of that ****ing list but anyway, what a night!!

Got up at 3.30 and was down to see from Gunnar's fight onwards; Rockhold was serious, from the embedded series I wasn't sure about him, I felt that he was saying things for himself almost.

To the main event, and I'll be honest, my interest in MMA has really been sparked by McGregor over the last few years. Yeah, you'd watch a GSP fight or something, but Connor is the one who really intrigued me and yet, I still went for Aldo. I felt that if it was the first time around that Connor would have taken him but that this time Aldo would have enough. How wrong I was.

Watching the TUF finale episode when Uriah brought Jose to the camp and Connor didn't know; when they faced off Connor just said to him 'Let's really do it this time' as they shook hands and still I went for Aldo!!

On the dance teacher dude, I can't remember his name, it's the week before the fight, I thought it was a great idea to just stay loose and relax. Having played ametur sport for years, you always know the manager/trainer who hasn't a clue who runs you the week of a big game!

Finally, congrats Connor. It has been my ambition for many years to go to a big fight in Vegas and I always thought it would be a boxing match, but I'm sure it'll be one if his!

Graceful in victory and extremely respectful. The king is dead, long live the king!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

No. Not in the slightest.

Aldo via Submission
    empacher wrote: »
    Genuinely. Do we need to have two threads for events mc gregor is on. One for people who watch mma. One for people who watch mc gregors fights.

Some what like the game of thrones forums. Two threads each show. One for book readers, one for non book readers.

The AH thread weeds out a little bit of it doubt two in the one forum would help much.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Aldo via Decision
    Standman wrote: »
    It's very interesting when Aldo enters the octagon too,

Kavanagh: "Doesn't want to be here..... doesn't want to be here".

And I'd agree with him 100%. Aldo was nervous and that combined with his horrible plan to stand ended up with him going asleep.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Paully D wrote: »

Loving this video, I've watched it about 20 times. Reaction of the teams both ways are great but Bruce Buffers pure-shocked jaw dropping & Joanna Champion & TJ Dillashaw in the background are brilliant. Loved seeing Chuck jumping around at ringside all through the night also, such great audience interaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

FINISH HIM!!!

WhimsicalDeepHoopoe.gif

Aldo via Submission
    TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Loving this video, I've watched it about 20 times. Reaction of the teams both ways are great but Bruce Buffers pure-shocked jaw dropping & Joanna Champion & TJ Dillashaw in the background are brilliant. Loved seeing Chuck jumping around at ringside all through the night also, such great audience interaction.

Its a brilliant video! Really sums it up without even seeing the fight the second row guy in Aldos corner is really not happy!

The AH thread weeds out a little bit of it doubt two in the one forum would help much.

Theres being about 20 pages since the fight ended. 50% questioning the validity of mma as a sport. 25% calling aldo a bum. 20% regulars defending the sport. The 5% of real conversation is lost in the mess.

Suppose its only going to get worse. :rolleyes:

Its a brilliant video! Really sums it up without even seeing the fight the second row guy in Aldos corner is really not happy!

You can actually pinpoint the moment his heart breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mrcheez wrote: »
    So have the English press claimed him as fully British yet?
    That was about a year ago? Move on ffs.

Not quite, they just lumped him together with the UK so said a fighter from "United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland".

Winning the top crown, they'll claim him fully as their own :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Alternative Aussie commentary on the fight... Fairly sweary.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=474743962650734

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Conor Mc Gregors mouth writes checks his body CAN cash !!

Well done Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

What a win chooo choooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor via Decision
    Joanna celebrating, love it!

XK04hUS.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Any portugese speakers here?
    I was reading somewhere some comments
    That what the translator said wasn't what Aldo said and he was more humble than the translator made him out to be.

Advertisement