Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    I said this back in Feb
    Size isn't everything, technique counts for more imho. I'd rather get hit by a big guy throwing haymakers then clipped by a guy who knows how to throw a straight right cross with his foot to the floor and his hip in the punch
    And McGregor has both, he's big for his weight and his boxing technique is near as bedamned flawless. I get the feeling (and it certainly seems like it from the videos) that these guys get hit the first time by him and they think "holy **** what was that?! Don't let that happen again" and they suddenly focus on defense to avoid his power... that's fatal imho, especially with McGregor when he likes to get comfortable and pick defences apart.

I also pointed out that his left slip-n-hook is nearly flawless. If you want to see a fore-shadowing of last night, look no further than the end of the Buchinger fight:

https://youtu.be/obgm6JNtyVo?t=348

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Aldo via Submission
    mrcheez wrote: »
    Not quite, they just lumped him together with the UK so said a fighter from "United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland".

Winning the top crown, they'll claim him fully as their own :rolleyes:

Sure thing. Thats great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Anyone know what conor is paying jk Owen roddy artem etc for all their hard work too?

They deserve it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Aldo via KO/TKO
    JustTheOne wrote: »
    Anyone know what conor is paying jk Owen roddy artem etc for all their hard work too?

They deserve it too.

I'd say there more than well looked after, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Plryty

Essien wrote: »
    It's unreal, so far I've seen...

Aldo slipped
    It was stopped too soon
    "He clearly wasn't knocked out"
    It was fixed
    It wasn't a real fight
    Edgar will beat him

It reminds me of the quiz episode on The Office - We could settle it by letting Aldo throw a shoe over a building, if he does it, he wins the fight.

If by "clearly wasn't knocked out", they mean lying down half unresponsive as if drifting asleep whilst Conor reenacts how to hammer a nail into something (aka Aldo's face)

....then yeah I guess they got a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Aldo via KO/TKO
    Has there been a more dominant rise to stardom/the belt in th ufc?

1st Round TKO

d4a_0906.0.jpg

30-27 Decision

081713-UFC-FIght-Night069.jpg

1st Round TKO

071914-ufc-mcgregor-brandao-pi.jpg

1st Round TKO

456232676.jpg

2nd Round TKO

hi-res-99ff44bf87f181b90d83da9a8b1c7902_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=433&q=85

2nd Round TKO

hqdefault.jpg

1st Round KO

Aldooooooooo.jpg

What an achievement for Ireland.

11761_54_pages_12_9324_656x500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

xtal191 wrote: »
    Joanna celebrating, love it!

Mighty Mouse standing on a chair! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Aldo via Submission
    theteal wrote: »
    Mighty Mouse standing on a chair! :D

Maybe even a ladder lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Aldo via Decision
    Hopefully Aldo doesn't go down the Barao path, but I can easily see that happening too...

His confidence will be absolutely rocked after a loss like this, he can't trust his chin anymore. We see people trying to come back from these types of losses, but they never look the same: Anderson, Chuck, etc.

Aldo is young enough, but very experienced in the cage and has some serious mileage on him. He went the distance in a close fight with Mendes not too long ago, while Frankie and Conor both put him away in the 1st round. He just doesn't seem to have the same power as few years ago. I hope the immediate rematch doesn't happen so that he can at least get his confidence back and see if he can challenge for the title.

Edgar vs McGregor makes the most sense, changing divisions now would leave unfinished business at 145 for Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Mc Gregor is the Mayweather of UFC .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

McGregor via Decision
    fsadgsag.jpg

The reaction of one of Aldo's corner men on the right is heart breaking. His head coach looks like he's just been told a mildly amusing joke though. Strange reaction, reminds me of the face I have when I've just won a wad of cash in a bet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

ASOT wrote: »
    Has there been a more dominant rise to stardom/the belt in th ufc?

Anderson silva. Knocked our chris leben in 49 secs in his ufc debut. Immediate title shot. Knocked out rich franklin in the first.

Not taking anything away from mc Gregor. Either way both were as impressive as each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I don't understand why people cannot accept Conor's win.The world of Boxing is full of famous 1st round K.O.s.
    Maybe Conor just got very very lucky with the punch, but thats the game, thats what happens, well done to him for getting there first.
    I am no expert, and a lurker on the threads, but watching the video back Conor looked ready to devour Aldo, where Aldo looked (to me anyway) that he just didn't want to be there.

Edit
    BTW, Big thanks to those who posted the comments here during the fight this morning. It was the first thing I logged onto to read through before finding out the result, great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

McGregor via Decision
    last night on bet365 during match of the day mcgregor slipped out to evens briefly just for the win.
    i put all my cash on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Aldo via Submission
    Hopefully Aldo doesn't go down the Barao path, but I can easily see that happening too...

His confidence will be absolutely rocked after a loss like this, he can't trust his chin anymore. We see people trying to come back from these types of losses, but they never look the same: Anderson, Chuck, etc.

Aldo is young enough, but very experienced in the cage and has some serious mileage on him. He went the distance in a close fight with Mendes not too long ago, while Frankie and Conor both put him away in the 1st round. He just doesn't seem to have the same power as few years ago. I hope the immediate rematch doesn't happen so that he can at least get his confidence back and see if he can challenge for the title.

Edgar vs McGregor makes the most sense, changing divisions now would leave unfinished business at 145 for Conor.

Frankie didn't beat him??? Frankie lost by unanimous decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭bobbyss

part of MMA is fighting on the ground.
    you go until the ref stops the fight or its clear that the opponent can't intelligently protect themselves. you don't wait and check if someone is OK when a split second of hesitation matters.
    McGregor was perfectly above-board and any MMA fighter would do the same.

clearly you aren't familiar with the sport or its rules at all.

Thank you for the rules. (Just because there are rules allowing you to hit someone when they rare down does not make it any more acceptable to me.)

I did actually say that I knew very little about this so your last sentence is completely correct-except the bit about it being a sport.

Just because I don't know much about this does not mean I can not offer my opinion on it. My opinion is informed by what I saw. All 13 seconds of it.

I think that hitting someone on the ground is unfair, unmanly and ignoble and I don't think this 'sport' is a an activity that children should be watching on TV or worse still participating in. Did I see blood on the ring floor? (Do children participate in this? Are there clubs for this sort of thing? What age do you have to be to join if there are?)

An activity (sport?) whose purpose is to hurt another human being brings no credit on those who participate in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

arayess wrote: »
    last night on bet365 during match of the day mcgregor slipped out to evens briefly just for the win.
    i put all my cash on it.

How much was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I don't understand why people cannot accept Conor's win.The world of Boxing is full of famous 1st round K.O.s.
    Maybe Conor just got very very lucky with the punch, but thats the game, thats what happens, well done to him for getting there first.
    I am no expert, and a lurker on the threads, but watching the video back Conor looked ready to devour Aldo, where Aldo looked (to me anyway) that he just didn't want to be there.

Seth Petruzelli did the same thing to Kimbo Slice
    1st round victory
    All over

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

There was nothing lucky about the win,the only lucky thing was Aldo didnt have to take a beating for 5 minutes,the one shot k.o will hurt his ego and physically for a while but he just earned a fortune for going through the promo and a 13 second fight

Jose is a legend ive trouble having too much sympathy for him due to the fact when he pulled out there was no apology for the fans who had spent fortunes to travel to it

Its safe to say Conor destroys edgar he is the greatest 145er of all time (even though I think he is right now anyways)

• Advertisement

bobbyss wrote: »
    Thank you for the rules. (Just because there are rules allowing you to hit someone when they rare down does not make it any more acceptable to me.)

I did actually say that I knew very little about this so your last sentence is completely correct-except the bit about it being a sport.

Just because I don't know much about this does not mean I can not offer my opinion on it. My opinion is informed by what I saw. All 13 seconds of it.

I think that hitting someone on the ground is unfair, unmanly and ignoble and I don't think this 'sport' is a an activity that children should be watching on TV or worse still participating in. Did I see blood on the ring floor? (Do children participate in this? Are there clubs for this sort of thing? What age do you have to be to join if there are?)

An activity (sport?) whose purpose is to hurt another human being brings no credit on those who participate in it.

So it's not for you, that's fine just don't watch it.

I don't like horse racing but I don't post on the racing forum about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

McGregor via Decision
    How much was that?

i should have said available cash.

but i'm a happy man form that on top of the excitement of the fight and the great win.

arayess wrote: »

i should have said available cash.

but i'm a happy man.

Nice :) congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

McGregor via Decision

Yes the under 9 champion won 14 by ko. Might be best to read up the subject of a forum before talking down on the activity or sport ot is about. Boxing is also a sport where your job is to injury someone. If you don't like something you don't have to tell people before you get the basic facts right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision

Sorry to disappoint you but MMA is an officially recognized sport so wether or not you think it is doesn't really count for shit, and while you are fully entitled those views, think for a second that there might be better places to air them than an MMA forum, Joe Duffy's liveline for example, anyway, good luck to you and do be careful not to fall from that high horse of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

McGregor via Decision

The fact that your opening post has the word 'sport' in inverted commas spoke more words than any other posts you could have made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

McGregor via Decision
    K.Flyer wrote: »

Edit
    BTW, Big thanks to those who posted the comments here during the fight this morning. It was the first thing I logged onto to read through before finding out the result, great stuff.

I'm not sure if you are lambasting people for commenting during a fight on a thread started specifically for the fight just because you didn't stay up for it?? If you are that is r.i.d.c.u.l.o.u.s. !!!

Apologies though if that wasn't the meaning of the sentence!! I just am taking it to be sarcasm?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

How the hell are you supposed to have a ground game if attacking someone on the ground is unfair? Do you have the same opinion of BJJ or is it just MMA.
    Does you have the same opinion of boxing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Mc Gregor is the Mayweather of UFC .

That is an insult to McGregor in my humble opinion.
    McGregor goes out looking to engage and finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

[/B]

I'm not sure if you are lambasting people for commenting during a fight on a thread started specifically for the fight just because you didn't stay up for it?? If you are that is r.i.d.c.u.l.o.u.s. !!!

Apologies though if that wasn't the meaning of the sentence!! I just am taking it to be sarcasm?!!

No, it is a genuine hearty thanks! I would never have been able to stay awake to watch it, so I felt the next best thing was to read the commentary here before finding out the result.
    I was reading it on my phone when the capital letter posting had come out and I knew something serious had happened, I could feel the tension off the page... :D: Great posting and great result :)

Advertisement