Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

The thing that stuck out for me from those 13 seconds is, by Christ can McGregor take a punch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I thought the ido portal movement stuff was rubbnish but Conor convinced me in his post fight interview on fox,about working with him in the mornings to loosen up after the body has been in the same position for 9 or 10 hours while asleep,instead of diving up and going training it makes a lot of sense to stretch that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Aldo via Submission
    Paully D wrote: »
    I thought Aldo was very disrespectful after the fight, but still it's sad to see people elsewhere laughing at the pictures of him in his dressing room after the fight. No need for that crap at all.

I thought the middle fingers from McGregor was equally disrespectful. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,870 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Aldo via Submission
    Easy Rod wrote: »
    Pettis us not a step up. If Conor fights at 155 it's for a title against cowboy or Rda.

true
    step up in weight class is what i meant

i hope for cowboys sake he doesnt have to face mc gregor which seem unlikely anyway imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

A-Trak wrote: »
    The thing that stuck out for me from those 13 seconds is, by Christ can McGregor take a punch.

Big time that was also a lovely hook by aldo and probably would have dropped many fighters although it was a few inches above the chin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

killwill wrote: »
    That is an insult to McGregor in my humble opinion.
    McGregor goes out looking to engage and finish.

Mayweather is the most accomplished boxer of his generation bar none

No insult at all .

Aldo via Submission
    Remember in October when people thought McGregor doing a couple of nightclub appearances and a Q&A session would impact on his preparation for this fight. :pac:

It did effect him though. It took him thirteen seconds to finish him!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

McGregor via Decision
    A-Trak wrote: »

That punch would have sleepified most of us

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

I thought Aldo was very disrespectful after the fight,

I'm not a Portuguese speaker but people are saying he strong mistranslated in his interview

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Aldo via KO/TKO
    I thought Aldo was very disrespectful after the fight, but still it's sad to see people elsewhere laughing at the pictures of him in his dressing room after the fight. No need for that crap at all.

Couldn't agree more on both points. Aldo seemed very sour, but the whole locker room moment was surreal, surely someone should have noticed sooner. It. Showed just how. Devastated and broke Jose was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Aldo via Submission
    I'm not a Portuguese speaker but people are saying he strong mistranslated in his interview

This has been an issues for the Portuguese and Spanish translators they've used for years now so it's entirely possible.

Aldo via Submission
    bobbyss wrote: »
    My goodness me.
    So much for so little.

You can add about $3.5million, give or take, for PPV buys as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Actual translation
    Rogan: How much, if anything, of the fight can you remember?
    Aldo: He threw a jab on my chest, I was already expecting that. When I went to attack him he hit me with a good cross and there is where he got me. I believe that after this fight we have to go for a rematch, is not done yet. He got me with a good shot and was able to finish the fight.
    Rogan: How much did all the taunting affected you?
    Aldo: It didn't affect me in anything. Whatever he said it doesn't matter, I don't fall for provocations.My mind is always calm inside there, I try to just get in there and do my job. He was happy today, caught me with a good blow. I think we have to move on now and now I am waiting for a rematch and God willing next time and will be back much better trained and recover what is mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

McGregor via Decision
    John_D80 wrote: »
    I would not be at all surprised. Conservative estimates put him earning 6 million plus for the Mendes fight.

You can be guaranteed he was getting an even bigger bite of the PPV pie this time round.

I wonder how much he's getting paid for being on the front cover of the new UFC game too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

He was mistranslated alright but he could have at least said congrats to Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Aldo via KO/TKO
    Lukker- wrote: »
    Actual translation

That's miles apart from what was announced and more in line with what I tuaght he would have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭XsApollo

How was Aldo disrespectful after the fight?

The translator actually translated wrong what Aldo said.
    Instead of saying this wasn't a fight.

Aldo said" I believe we need a rematch, it doesn't end there, it was all really fast he landed a good punch and the fight was over "

Translator should be knocked out too.
    Maybe Aldo wouldn't of got booed after the fight either.

Edit: better version above :-P

Aldo via Submission
    I'm a native Spanish speaker and I've always felt the translators make a balls of it in post fight interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

McGregor via Decision
    what an incredible moment. everyone in the room i was watching it with jaws dropped, speechless for a long time. then we realised it had actually happened and the screaming began.

no one can doubt conor anymore now, he has silenced all critics. completely different level to other fighters.

very interesting times ahead for ufc. i thought conor's press conference would have made dana and co quite nervous, grabbing the podium, saying his belt won't be vacated, talking like he owns the ufc. i see a real power struggle going on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭CSF

froog wrote: »
    what an incredible moment. everyone in the room i was watching it with jaws dropped, speechless for a long time. then we realised it had actually happened and the screaming began.

no one can doubt conor anymore now, he has silenced all critics. completely different level to other fighters.

very interesting times ahead for ufc. i thought conor's press conference would have made dana and co quite nervous, grabbing the podium, saying his belt won't be vacated, talking like he owns the ufc. i see a real power struggle going on next year.
    I'd say Dana is happy enough. In the end I'm sure he values the money more than power so he'll be happy enough to give Conor a looser leash than others. In the end they both need each other to make their bank accounts that bit more full. It isn't as if there is anywhere else for Conor to go fight and make more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Aldo via Decision
    Conor has been reined in over things like Croke Park etc but I don't think they can really stop him if he wants to be a dual weight champion as long as he able to do it.

He knows where his bread is buttered obviously but I don't see it being a problem that cannot be worked out

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor via Decision
    Rogan talking about Aldo during the fighter announcements

https://streamable.com/yfai
    Rogan: Look how smooth his body looks.
    Producer 1: Yeah, he looks good, huh Joe?
    Rogan: No, he looks soft.
    Producer 1: Oh he does?
    Rogan: Yeah, he looks soft.
    Producer 2: I agree Joe, i agree.
    Producer 1: Around the middle you're saying?
    Producer 2: Yep, yep, he looks soft.
    Rogan: He looks deflated.
    Producer 2: He looks soft, actually. You're right.
    Rogan: He looks way different. But it could be that he's done a lot of cardio. Don't want to jump to conclusions. (producers talking about technical **** here, losing signal etc)
    Producer 1: Who do you like Joe?
    Rogan: Right now? I think I like Conor.
    Producer 1: Same here.
    Rogan: Aldo looks nervous as **** too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

When will Aldo return? comes back too soon he will end up like mendes or barao,Id like to see him fight Holloway or Frankie winner gets the title shot,leave mendes have a long break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Gamebred wrote:
    When will Aldo return? comes back too soon he will end up like mendes or barao,Id like to see him fight Holloway or Frankie winner gets the title shot,leave mendes have a long break.

I don't think Frankie should have to fight anyone to get a title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor via Decision
    Gintonious wrote: »
    Is there a video of him celebrating in front of Aldos corner? Doing the "making it rain" gesture, they didn't look too happy with him at all!

untitled-1150q1m.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

McGregor via Decision
    xtal191 wrote: »
    untitled-1150q1m.gif

In the longer version it looks like conor swings his foot at the Brazilian lad. And rightly so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

McGregor via Decision
    untitled-1150q1m.gif

Could be wrong but I reckon that was pointed towards Dillashaw and Co. He isn't even looking at Aldos corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision
    Rogan talking about Aldo during the fighter announcements

https://streamable.com/yfai

where did this come out of? thats bloody surreal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

McGregor via Submission
    bobbyss wrote: »
    My goodness me.
    So much for so little.

As Conor himself said to most it looked like 13 seconds "work" but it's been years upon years of training

• Advertisement

Aldo via Submission
    GFT wrote: »
    Could be wrong but I reckon that was pointed towards Dillashaw and Co. He isn't even looking at Aldos corner.

Interesting point. I hadn't considered that. In that case it's banter more than anything. Thought it was bad form if directed at Aldo's corner.

Advertisement